Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #1
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Really loving my ZL1 M6 Vert...but

To be honest, I think I love my Shadow Grey Metallic ZL1 Convertible more than the day I bought it. I usually buy bright color cars, but fell in love with this one when I saw it on the showroom floor. It a little (actually a lot) harder to keep clean, but DAMN does it look amazing when clean. I rarely see other ZL1’s and I have never seen another convertible, and of course it is an absolute blast to drive.

BUT...

The lack of practical storage / cargo space is beginning to wear on me. Morning coffee? Nope, the cup holders are in direct line with the manual gear shift and I’ve given up on that. I have oversized Oakley prescription sunglasses, and I don’t have anywhere to put the case. 1st world problems, I know.

I shoot skeet and trap, and have long gun cases that I carry to my club that will NOT fit in the tiny ass trunk (with the top down). I can fit them in the backseat awkwardly, but I don’t like the idea of driving around with gun cases visible with the top down.

I’ve also gotten back into golfing, and I did so thinking I could fit them in the back seat...nope. The ONLY way I can get my clubs in, is in the passenger seat.

I realize it’s an impractical sports car but it’s crazy to think that my C7 Z06 Corvette had more usable storage / cargo space than my comparatively larger ZL1. As much fun as it is to drive, I find myself making excuses for it shortcomings. For now, I’m enjoying the ride, but this one may not be with me for long.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:48 AM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I love my A10, I specifically traded in my M6 2SS because I got tired of shifting in Naples traffic.

Glad your enjoying your ZL

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I shoot a lot of trap and don't have any issues putting my Beretta in the trunk. Not a convertible though so maybe that is the difference. Sounds like you need a hard top A10.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
OP, I can sympathize with you.

I owned three 5th Gen convertibles before my 6th gen ZL1 coupe.

You lost trunk space on the 5th gens when the top was down but not as much as the 6th gen verts. It’s the main reason I ditched the convertible and bought a coupe. There were other reasons, but trunk space was the main one.

Let me just say the hard cover on the 6th gens that slides over the top when down is a 1000% improvement over that God awful tonneau cover you had to manually put on the 5th gens. God forbid getting caught in the rain. And if you didn’t put the tonneau cover on, the top would flap in the air above 40 MPH.

Driving a 650 HP car with the top down on a warm summer night blasting your favorite tunes on the radio is a heck of a lot fun. You just have to decide if the fun is worth some significant sacrifices owning a convertible.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
To be honest, I think I love my Shadow Grey Metallic ZL1 Convertible more than the day I bought it. I usually buy bright color cars, but fell in love with this one when I saw it on the showroom floor. It a little (actually a lot) harder to keep clean, but DAMN does it look amazing when clean. I rarely see other ZL1’s and I have never seen another convertible, and of course it is an absolute blast to drive.

BUT...

The lack of practical storage / cargo space is beginning to wear on me. Morning coffee? Nope, the cup holders are in direct line with the manual gear shift and I’ve given up on that. I have oversized Oakley prescription sunglasses, and I don’t have anywhere to put the case. 1st world problems, I know.

I shoot skeet and trap, and have long gun cases that I carry to my club that will NOT fit in the tiny ass trunk (with the top down). I can fit them in the backseat awkwardly, but I don’t like the idea of driving around with gun cases visible with the top down.

I’ve also gotten back into golfing, and I did so thinking I could fit them in the back seat...nope. The ONLY way I can get my clubs in, is in the passenger seat.

I realize it’s an impractical sports car but it’s crazy to think that my C7 Z06 Corvette had more usable storage / cargo space than my comparatively larger ZL1. As much fun as it is to drive, I find myself making excuses for it shortcomings. For now, I’m enjoying the ride, but this one may not be with me for long.
If you really love the ZL1 you might want to consider a coupe and the Auto. The Auto would take care of your Coffee in your cup holder issue and you could get your guns in the trunk with the back seats down. Not sure about the golf clubs......
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #6
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Yep, the most impractical car I’ve owned. I came from an SS convertible, so I knew what I was in for. Mine’s a cruiser and perhaps an upcoming multi state traveler (spare tire purchased / pack light for warm weather) . I hang my sunglasses from a fabric covered elastic off the mirror. I know I’d love the M6 for certain driving conditions, but the A10 is really starting to shine as the car learns my after break in style. Drinks in the cup holder aren’t an issue, but I do understand what you’re saying. That would annoy me too. If you expect a bit of practicality / storage space. Unfortunately, the M6 convertible is probably not for you (as you’ve alluded to).

Every driving day I get at least one Z compliment or conversation. The car does more than what I intended... so for now, I’m good.

Best of luck with your decision!
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
BMW M6?
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #8
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Sounds like you’d love my Mom’s Sonata.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:45 PM   #9
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I see a troubled future for you. Your pro paragraph is smaller than the con. Having had the vert I know what you are thinking. This decision will continue to dwell on you.

Probably should drop the vert now while the getting is good. Might have to bite the bullet.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would get a coupe and either trade in or sell your convertible!
Old 05-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #11
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I shoot a lot of trap and don't have any issues putting my Beretta in the trunk. Not a convertible though so maybe that is the difference. Sounds like you need a hard top A10.
The Convertible trunk space is close to the size of an igloo cooler. I have a browning in a long bag, and a Caesar Guerini in a short case, plus a range bag. As for the Hardtop / coupe that’s not going to happen. The convertible is in my blood and I have no use for a hard top. Nothing against anyone who is, i just prefer the drop too. As for the A10, the reason I’m not in a C8 yet is due to a lack of a manual trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Driving a 650 HP car with the top down on a warm summer night blasting your favorite tunes on the radio is a heck of a lot fun. You just have to decide if the fun is worth some significant sacrifices owning a convertible.
Truth! And it is indeed...I’m just venting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
If you really love the ZL1 you might want to consider a coupe and the Auto. The Auto would take care of your Coffee in your cup holder issue and you could get your guns in the trunk with the back seats down. Not sure about the golf clubs......
You are 100% correct, but as I said above I can’t justify it. Doing so solves several smaller issues, and creates one big one: the lack of a convertible.

Just need to make due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
BMW M6?
Dear god no. I’d get a a C8 HTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Sounds like you’d love my Mom’s Sonata.
Ha Ha. Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
I see a troubled future for you. Your pro paragraph is smaller than the con. Having had the vert I know what you are thinking. This decision will continue to dwell on you.

Probably should drop the vert now while the getting is good. Might have to bite the bullet.
We’re not there yet.

Thanks for all the insight and I see my options as:
1. Sell it and Get an A10 Coupe.
2. Keep it, and just deal with it.
3. Sell it, get a C8 HTC and deal with the lack of a manual but bask in the glow of trunk, frunk and cup holder space.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:41 PM   #12
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post

Thanks for all the insight and I see my options as:
1. Sell it and Get an A10 Coupe.
2. Keep it, and just deal with it.
3. Sell it, get a C8 HTC and deal with the lack of a manual but bask in the glow of trunk, frunk and cup holder space.
I did number 3 without the “sell it” part. I’m truly the blessed to be able to own both a ZL1 m6 coupe and an C8 HTC.

The C8 HTC is a marvelous car. Being able to put the top down and up with the flick of a button and still maintain all the car’s storage space is truly magical.

I’ve seen enough Chevy small block engines. Not seeing one in my C8 is no big deal.

If you’re a diehard manual fan, the toughest thing you will have to grapple with is the dual clutch transmission. After 3 months of ownership, I’m still coming to grips with DCT in my Corvette. And no one is going to tell me shifting with paddles is anywhere close to pushing in a clutch pedal and grabbing a shift knob on the console.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #13
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Vert was your only mistake.

I take mine to the range frequently with a long hard case that holds 2 18”+ Shotguns/AR’s Henry 47Gov, soft case with 2AR’s & a pistol/ammo 511 bag along with AR500 targets & stand a Lead sled & Crony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I did number 3 without the “sell it” part. I’m truly the blessed to be able to own both a ZL1 m6 coupe and an C8 HTC.

The C8 HTC is a marvelous car. Being able to put the top down and up with the flick of a button and still maintain all the car’s storage space is truly magical.

I’ve seen enough Chevy small block engines. Not seeing one in my C8 is no big deal.

If you’re a diehard manual fan, the toughest thing you will have to grapple with is the dual clutch transmission. After 3 months of ownership, I’m still coming to grips with DCT in my Corvette. And no one is going to tell me shifting with paddles is anywhere close to pushing in a clutch pedal and grabbing a shift knob on the console.
Ours has paddles & a slap shifter combined. Love manuals, but check & mate.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Well there is no plan for a manual in the C8 at this point in time but we never know what GM will do in the future. I’m sure though if they planned a manual it would have been offered. I feel you pain though as I’m a shotgun and rifle shooter too and know what you are talking about. The 2010 2SS I had space enough in the trunk for my hard gun cases when I did go to the Skeet range and rifle range too.