Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
Anyone have a Throwout Bearing fail?.... Well mine did (PICS)

My car is squealing like crazy! I'm pretty sure it's the throwout bearing at least that's what it sounds like. It only has 32,xxx miles on it. I also have a spec stage 3+ clutch. Is this normal on these cars? And also does anyone sell just the throwout bearing by itself?

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.

Last edited by booneSS13; 02-11-2017 at 08:12 PM.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #2
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
skf bearings make them for the slave cylinder. its skf #445328
Old 01-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmoguel View Post
skf bearings make them for the slave cylinder. its skf #445328
Thanks a lot! I'm going to pull the transmission and hopefully the whole slave is not destroyed. I even used the billet bearing support from monster

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #4
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
did you replace the pilot bearing?
Old 01-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
did you replace the pilot bearing?
Nope I didn't replace it, probably should've. Now my clutch sticks (at idle I'm not driving it like that) and it's starting to smoke. Also sounds like some metal to metal grinding going on because the noise got worse

Old 01-30-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
booneSS13

Actually the throwout bearing doesn't look bad, unless I'm missing something. This picture is from the vent on the transmission.

Does a bad pilot bearing cause these symptoms?

Old 02-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
booneSS13

Anyone have a pilot bearing fail?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
69 SS 350 5 Speed

Drives: 69 SS Camaro 2019 Corvette GS Vert.
I have never had a pilot bearing fail in any car. As for you throwout bearing, the outside appearance does not mean a thing. When you are not pushing the clutch in, the bearing should not be in contact with the pressure plate. If it remains in contact, it will burn the bearing up. From the pictures, I can not tell if the bearing is in contact with the pressure plate or not. The bearing is not meant to continue spinning with the clutch engaged, only when you push the pedal down and disengage the clutch.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #9
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 SS 350 5 Speed View Post
I have never had a pilot bearing fail in any car. As for you throwout bearing, the outside appearance does not mean a thing. When you are not pushing the clutch in, the bearing should not be in contact with the pressure plate. If it remains in contact, it will burn the bearing up. From the pictures, I can not tell if the bearing is in contact with the pressure plate or not. The bearing is not meant to continue spinning with the clutch engaged, only when you push the pedal down and disengage the clutch.
Do you have any idea why mine is touching while the pedal is not pressed in? Would that mean my slave has failed? Just getting an idea on what parts I'm going to order before I pull this trans

Old 02-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #10
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Hope your not driving the car while you are trying to figure out whats going on.

I had a Throwout bearing go in one of my cars and the bearing seized onto the input shaft of the tranny and snapped the input shaft off. It was a very expensive fix.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #11
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Hope your not driving the car while you are trying to figure out whats going on.

I had a Throwout bearing go in one of my cars and the bearing seized onto the input shaft of the tranny and snapped the input shaft off. It was a very expensive fix.
No I'm not driving it, I was just paying attention to it at idle. I'm glad you told me that though, I'll definitely make sure to keep it parked. I actually just got started with pulling the trans today. I'm praying it's just a simple swap of the throwout bearing and that's it.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #12
booneSS13

Anyone know how many Bellhousing to engine bolts there are. I'm trying to get the transmission off to diagnose this and it's stuck. Missed a bolt maybe? 1in gap at the bottom but can't get the rest even with a pry bar.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #13
booneSS13

Name:  0211172006a.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  57.7 KB

At least my bullet support bearing survived lol

Old 02-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #14
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
WAS it the last bolt up top holding things up? Now that your this far, gonna do the pilot now? I guess the slave was not replaced when the clutch was upgraded? Hopefully all the measurements are on, why did the slave wear this bad? Drag race a lot? Hold the clutch to long? Or is bearing riding on the release fingers(I think there is a minimum clearance)..which gets slightly bigger as the clutch wears...

Hope you get it sorted and back on the road ASAP!