Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
Who has catted non-stock downpipe?

I recently installed my Mishimoto exhaust and I have a ZZP catless downpipe. Just the downpipe by itself sounded great, not too loud just a bit more aggressive. Well coupled with the new exhaust it sounds amazing at idle and lower revs, but it is a bit loud higher revs. I was wondering how big of a sound difference a catted aftermarket downpipe would be, like the catted ZZP.

I listened to tons of youtube videos of exhaust before hand and none of them even come close to how it sounds in real life. I am thinking a catted dp will still allow a performance increase while cutting the sound just enough to be perfect.

So, who here has installed a catted aftermarket downpipe and wants to tell me about the sound level from stock. Or if you have an exhaust. Would I notice a difference going from catless to catted, or should I just go back to stock?
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
ZZP Catted made it deeper and slightly louder with the stock system.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutling View Post
I recently installed my Mishimoto exhaust and I have a ZZP catless downpipe. Just the downpipe by itself sounded great, not too loud just a bit more aggressive. Well coupled with the new exhaust it sounds amazing at idle and lower revs, but it is a bit loud higher revs. I was wondering how big of a sound difference a catted aftermarket downpipe would be, like the catted ZZP.

I listened to tons of youtube videos of exhaust before hand and none of them even come close to how it sounds in real life. I am thinking a catted dp will still allow a performance increase while cutting the sound just enough to be perfect.

So, who here has installed a catted aftermarket downpipe and wants to tell me about the sound level from stock. Or if you have an exhaust. Would I notice a difference going from catless to catted, or should I just go back to stock?
What did u put for new exhaust ?
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
Lots of sound clips for the catless DP but can't find one catted.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
Gutling

I listened to quite a few youtube videos, but the sound does not translate well. None of them sounded as loud as this lol. And I have had similar setups on a variety of turbo cars (240sx sr20, gti, genesis coupe) all straight downpipe and aftermarket exhaust but none came close to this. I think I am going to put my factory downpipe back on. I really want to try a catted zzp or similar, but do not want to pay for one just to still be too loud.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
Adp2017

Drives: 2017 RS Turbo
I have a catted dp from zzp with 3" catback. It is loud but not crazy.

331 rwhp , 350 rwtq

ZZP Intercooler | ZZP Catted DP | Magnaflow Catback | Injen CAI | Tuned (BBR) | CNC Honed Turbo (TPC) w 14lb actuator
Adp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
ZZP's catted pipe is really nice. Gives a deeper tone and a nice bit of a (tiny-displacement) V8-sounding burble around 1400-1700 rpm.
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #8
sureshshanmugam79

Drives: Summit White 1LT RS I4 M6
Hi,
Have some Questions:
Does installing a ZZP Catted downpipe also causes to CEL turn on?
Is there is any significant difference in sound and Performance between the Catted and Catless down pipe?
Is there a sound and or performance gain between a OEM catted and ZZP Catted down pipe?

Thank you very much.

2016 1LT RS Summit White M6
10/2/2016 - 3 Miles on ODO - Delivered
11/1/2016 - All around light Black out kit from Phastek
11/15/2016 - OEM Splash guards and all weather mats from ShopChevyParts.com
12/16/16 - 977 Miles. Borla S-type Axleback

Planned - CAI Injen, hood wrap, Sema rocker stripes, Sema trunk balckout, Caliper Paint, Reverse LED
sureshshanmugam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshshanmugam79 View Post
Hi,
Have some Questions:
Does installing a ZZP Catted downpipe also causes to CEL turn on?
Is there is any significant difference in sound and Performance between the Catted and Catless down pipe?
Is there a sound and or performance gain between a OEM catted and ZZP Catted down pipe?

Thank you very much.
1. No CEL
2. Sound = Yes. Performance = Nothing Noticeable (splitting hairs here)
3. Yes, it sounds way better than the OEM pipe (slightly louder, deeper and healthier sounding) and yes, there is definitely a performance gain through the mid-range power band.

IMO, this is an absolute must bolt on for this car.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Start The Machine covered it pretty well. The catted ZZP pipe flows well enough to compete with catless pipes! A catted downpipe and a tune is the easiest way to make significant horsepower on the LTG. That combo will make more power than any intake will. Personally, I'd add an intercooler. I see that as a necessary mod for every LTG. Then I would add Methanol injection and E85. That would get you in the 330rwhp ballpark! Oh, and the other benefit of going with a catted downpipe is that your car won't stink of hydrocarbons! Catless downpipe cars smell bad, and that's unacceptable for a daily driver!
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
6th_gen_gino

Really 330? I'd think you would be close to 350 but that might just be wishful thinking
Old 09-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #12
Beast-Y-Blue

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_gen_gino View Post
Really 330? I'd think you would be close to 350 but that might just be wishful thinking
It depends on tune, tuner, and type of dyno used. Dynojet is industry standard will read higher. A mustang dyno is best for tuning but reads lower... so its hard to say what you ll really be at. So many factors.
Beast-Y-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #13
6th_gen_gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast-Y-Blue View Post
It depends on tune, tuner, and type of dyno used. Dynojet is industry standard will read higher. A mustang dyno is best for tuning but reads lower... so its hard to say what you ll really be at. So many factors.
I feel you, in the reality of it, it wouldn't matter if I had 1000hp I couldn't do ahit with it
Old 10-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #14
Gutling

Well I ordered a ZZP catted downpipe. I will swap out my catless one and see how I like the sound. I may have my ZZP catless one for sale here soon, literally like 2 weeks old and maybe 200 miles on it lol will be in great shape.