Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #29
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Based on your questions I would go with the ZL1 Auto as its a much better all round car. I think the ZLE is a little more extreme and you either want it or not. For full disclosure, I have the ZLE and absolutely love it. The engineer/track junkie just had to have the DSSV's.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #30
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Also to add on...

I say this not because I'm a ZL1 owner but just as a GM fanatic in general...The mentality that somehow a few track events a year means you should get the ZLE is pretty misplaced. The ZL1 is a fantastic track package and will handle everything the ZLE can with ease. The ZLE adds some capability with the suspension, tires, a little less weight, etc. but you also have to be able to unlock that capability with your driving skills.

For me, it makes much more sense to have the ZL1. It's faster, by a considerable degree, in a straight line, at highway rolls, and at the drag strip due to suspension and aero. The suspension is more forgiving for average roads and normal use. But it can still turn it on and handle most tracks within a second of the ZLE. I like the all business aesthetic of the ZLE with the aero pieces, matte components etc. but I really like the cleaner look of the ZL1.

No need for a bunch of ZLE owners to jump on me. Yes, your car IS faster on a circuit in the hands of a good driver. But it is not stated enough in the ZL1 vs. ZLE discussion how capable the ZL1 actually is. It's 9/10ths of the ZLE on the track with superior street/straight line characteristics. Do you want that 1/10th of track performance? It's a tradeoff.

Just my $.02.
I'll add, as I always do to these types of threads... add the ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings to the standard ZL1 and you get the biggest benefit of moving up to the ZLE without the ride quality hit of the DSSV's. The MRC shocks are plenty capable.

They also now make the 3R tires in stock SS 1LE / ZL1 sizes for when you plan to go to the track.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:44 PM   #31
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
The ZL1 with the A10 is the fastest 1/4 mile by nearly .5 seconds.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #32
2018$S1le

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE Summit White M6, PDR
I had a 2018 1SS 1LE and traded for a 2019 ZL1 1LE M6 so my opinion is coming from owning both a mag ride car and a dssv car. I'll start by saying if I could afford to have both, I totally would! I absolutely loved my SS 1LE. But one day I test drove an A10 ZL1 and, well, it wasn't long before I traded for my ZLE. The acceleration of 650 hp is intoxicating. One caviot hasn't been brought up yet. Emotional response. Now I love the ZL1, don't get me wrong. But which one puts a bigger grin on my face and "speaks" to me more? For me it's the ZLE M6. And it has absolutely nothing to do with performance. All the performance opinions posted so far are spot on, but which one makes YOU salivate and WANT to drive it so bad you can't wait for the next sunny day?
2018$S1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #33
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018$S1le View Post
I had a 2018 1SS 1LE and traded for a 2019 ZL1 1LE M6 so my opinion is coming from owning both a mag ride car and a dssv car. I'll start by saying if I could afford to have both, I totally would! I absolutely loved my SS 1LE. But one day I test drove an A10 ZL1 and, well, it wasn't long before I traded for my ZLE. The acceleration of 650 hp is intoxicating. One caviot hasn't been brought up yet. Emotional response. Now I love the ZL1, don't get me wrong. But which one puts a bigger grin on my face and "speaks" to me more? For me it's the ZLE M6. And it has absolutely nothing to do with performance. All the performance opinions posted so far are spot on, but which one makes YOU salivate and WANT to drive it so bad you can't wait for the next sunny day?
Have you had both on track?

Others than the obvious ride quality differences, I'm curious what your opinion is of the MRC VS the DSSV when it comes to rebound control and recomposing the chassis once upset mid-corner. Is there a remarkable difference?

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #34
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I think people are wildly underestimating the performance of a ZL1 at the track, which is basically an SS 1LE with a supercharger. At the same time, a ZL1 1LE will be significantly harsher than an SS 1LE, unless you are at the track at those speeds. I think it should be brought up that tires and coil-overs can do a lot, the ZL1 already has the eLSD just like all 3 cars and add some wider rubber or if you are really serious about tracking, you should probably get a set of 19"s and put the track rubber on them, get some high end coil-overs if you feel you need more. That's probably some of the biggest differences that would contribute to a faster time.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:59 AM   #35
photorph

Drives: 19 zl1 le hopefully
I've been having this same dilemma for a while, have done so much research. Mine is even more extreme because I'm daily driving mine and never going to take the 1LE on a track. Plus I'm in Michigan so roads are HORRIBLE, big pot holes everywhere.

But I like the looks of the 1LE SIGNIFICANTLY more than the ZL1. it just speaks to me. The wheels, the wing, the aero, the black wrapped hood...all just works. Ideally I would have loved it if GM offered mag ride on the 1LE, dream car right there. Then I calculated how much it would cost to make the ZL1 look like a ZLE, and it literally was more than double the price difference between the ZL1 and ZLE. The OEM spoiler alone costs about 5000 and none of the aftermarket ones are as nice as the OEM. Then you have the wheels, the black wrapped hood, and aero...so yea it gets to be a lot. Vs the real world difference between the ZLE and ZL1 is about 5-6k.

In your case my decision would be the ZLE easily. In my case for a daily driver on bad roads...I'm still so torn. I know the ZL1 IS the better choice for me, but the reason I even am shopping is is because of the looks of ZLE. And I don't want to spend the 10 grand making the ZL1 look like a ZLE. So I'm thinking I'll still take the ZLE and just endure the rough ride and maybe get used to it.

Check this out (skip to 9:40), and these roads are better than what I'll be on haha.

photorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:36 AM   #36
Mitt11

Drives: 2019 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by photorph View Post
I've been having this same dilemma for a while, have done so much research. Mine is even more extreme because I'm daily driving mine and never going to take the 1LE on a track. Plus I'm in Michigan so roads are HORRIBLE, big pot holes everywhere.

But I like the looks of the 1LE SIGNIFICANTLY more than the ZL1. it just speaks to me. The wheels, the wing, the aero, the black wrapped hood...all just works. Ideally I would have loved it if GM offered mag ride on the 1LE, dream car right there. Then I calculated how much it would cost to make the ZL1 look like a ZLE, and it literally was more than double the price difference between the ZL1 and ZLE. The OEM spoiler alone costs about 5000 and none of the aftermarket ones are as nice as the OEM. Then you have the wheels, the black wrapped hood, and aero...so yea it gets to be a lot. Vs the real world difference between the ZLE and ZL1 is about 5-6k.

In your case my decision would be the ZLE easily. In my case for a daily driver on bad roads...I'm still so torn. I know the ZL1 IS the better choice for me, but the reason I even am shopping is is because of the looks of ZLE. And I don't want to spend the 10 grand making the ZL1 look like a ZLE. So I'm thinking I'll still take the ZLE and just endure the rough ride and maybe get used to it.

Check this out (skip to 9:40), and these roads are better than what I'll be on haha.

I feel exactly the same way. I know the ZL1 is very close in performance, but something about the 1LE just makes me way more excited for the car. It doesn't really make sense, because the ZL1 is already really special and cool comapred to 98% of other cars, but the 1LE just hits it out of the park.

I have always been someone that is willing to go a few years older or maybe more mileage if it means I get the highest trim level, the special edition, or all the optional extras that really give the car some uniqueness.

I really appreciate everyones input because it is helping me choose between my logical side that says a ZL1 would be the more usable/livable car, and the inner kid that likes big wings and extreme aero.
3100 - 08/02/18 - TPW: 09/03/18
4300 - 08/28/18 - Built Early!
4200 - 09/06/18
4300 - 09/07/18
4200 - 09/11/18 - ETA in SLC - 09/16/18
4800 - 09/17/18
5000 - 09/19/18
6000 - 09/19/18 - In my garage
Mitt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:51 AM   #37
ACZ28

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Good luck and I hope you find a good deal on whatever one you decide to go with. Since I was ordering mine, my choice was easy and I simply did not want to spend an extra $6-7K for an 'option' I would never use. If I tracked the car multiple times a year then maybe it would've been a different story.
ACZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:50 AM   #38
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by photorph View Post

this was my thought process. either ZL1 variant is above my track capabilities as a driver, but I’ll continue learning. still very happy with my personal choice. wouldn’t kick either one out of the garage
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #39
mosaic6

Drives: ZL1 1LE M6, Pontiac TransAm 400-T10
After daily-driving a 4th gen TransAm GT WS6 M6 for 15 years and test-driving both the ZL1 1LE A10 & M6, it was no contest for this old-school driving enthusiast:

ZL1 1LE M6
mosaic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #40
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
The ZL1 with the A10 is the fastest 1/4 mile by nearly .5 seconds.
I hope your not trying to say that a ZL1 A10 is .5 seconds faster in the 1/4 than a ZL1 1LE A10???
That would be very much incorrect.
Those two setups are pretty close on the dragstrip.
Yes one like mine with a 6-speed will be several tenths behind a A10 Zl1.
But not an A10 version 1LE.
I think you see all the fast times with standard A10 Zl1's mainly because that is the intended use for many buyers of those cars.
Yes it happens, but not as many buyers of the 1LE package take their car to drapstrips. Especially the 6-speed cars.
Kong Ported Supercharger, Nick Williams 103mm Throttle Body, Roto-fab Big Gulp CAI, Kooks 2" LT Headers, AWE 3" Touring Exhaust, Cordes Expansion Tank, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, MS Tuning -- 661whp & 684ftlbs
rdrfronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #41
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
For DD and some track time, I consider that the ZL1 would be a sufficient performance ride plus the fact that the magnetic suspension is adjustable for any driving needs and the summer tires would last longer than the cup tires. If the intention is for tracking without worrying of a harsh DD ride then the ZL1 1LE would be the right choice.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #42
Stevezx900

Drives: Buick Grand National, BMW M5
Don’t know if these is possible.
But will the Magnetic Ride suspension be able to be installed in the 1LE ?

And switched back when going to the track?
Get the best of both worlds.
Stevezx900 is offline   Reply With Quote