#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #15
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
People are always going to tell you they DD their car and it's great. It's also great in the snow too.

It's not like the ZL1 does bad at the track.
Actually I do DD mine every chance I get except snow.

Agreed though, the regular ZL1 would be just fine at the track as well. Especially if you only go a couple times a year.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #16
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Also to add on...

I say this not because I'm a ZL1 owner but just as a GM fanatic in general...The mentality that somehow a few track events a year means you should get the ZLE is pretty misplaced. The ZL1 is a fantastic track package and will handle everything the ZLE can with ease. The ZLE adds some capability with the suspension, tires, a little less weight, etc. but you also have to be able to unlock that capability with your driving skills.

For me, it makes much more sense to have the ZL1. It's faster, by a considerable degree, in a straight line, at highway rolls, and at the drag strip due to suspension and aero. The suspension is more forgiving for average roads and normal use. But it can still turn it on and handle most tracks within a second of the ZLE. I like the all business aesthetic of the ZLE with the aero pieces, matte components etc. but I really like the cleaner look of the ZL1.

No need for a bunch of ZLE owners to jump on me. Yes, your car IS faster on a circuit in the hands of a good driver. But it is not stated enough in the ZL1 vs. ZLE discussion how capable the ZL1 actually is. It's 9/10ths of the ZLE on the track with superior street/straight line characteristics. Do you want that 1/10th of track performance? It's a tradeoff.

Just my $.02.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #17
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
See what you've started OP?!
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #18
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Also to add on...

I say this not because I'm a ZL1 owner but just as a GM fanatic in general...The mentality that somehow a few track events a year means you should get the ZLE is pretty misplaced. The ZL1 is a fantastic track package and will handle everything the ZLE can with ease. The ZLE adds some capability with the suspension, tires, a little less weight, etc. but you also have to be able to unlock that capability with your driving skills.

For me, it makes much more sense to have the ZL1. It's faster, by a considerable degree, in a straight line, at highway rolls, and at the drag strip due to suspension and aero. The suspension is more forgiving for average roads and normal use. But it can still turn it on and handle most tracks within a second of the ZLE. I like the all business aesthetic of the ZLE with the aero pieces, matte components etc. but I really like the cleaner look of the ZL1.

No need for a bunch of ZLE owners to jump on me. Yes, your car IS faster on a circuit in the hands of a good driver. But it is not stated enough in the ZL1 vs. ZLE discussion how capable the ZL1 actually is. It's 9/10ths of the ZLE on the track with superior street/straight line characteristics. Do you want that 1/10th of track performance? It's a tradeoff.

Just my $.02.
Spot on. I could have bought either one and chose the ZL1 for these ^ reasons. Couldn’t be any happier as I drive mine predominantly on the street.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:41 PM   #19
Mitt11

Drives: 2019 2SS
Thank you for all the responses so far. It sounds like my best bet is to head out and do a few test drives and see what I like better, but keep commenting because I really like hearing what you guys think about long term ownership.

And my apologies as I'm sure this thread has been discussed many times before but it's always nice to hear some responses about my specific case.

Thanks!
3100 - 08/02/18 - TPW: 09/03/18
4300 - 08/28/18 - Built Early!
4200 - 09/06/18
4300 - 09/07/18
4200 - 09/11/18 - ETA in SLC - 09/16/18
4800 - 09/17/18
5000 - 09/19/18
6000 - 09/19/18 - In my garage
Mitt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:21 PM   #20
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Also to add on...

Just my $.02.
Had there been a manual regular ZL1 in the area, my choice would’ve been tougher. I wouldn’t of minded traveling to buy a car, but if I don’t have to to find what I want is obviously nice though.

In the end it came down to what I wanted out of a car. I loved the mag ride on my previous GT350. But, I really loved it when I lowered it and added stiffer bushings plus some other suspension mods. I’ve always been a handling guy over outright top speed and acceleration one. So I couldn’t pass up one of the most unique suspension setups from the factory that still came in a manual. Also I like the wider ZLE 19s over the regular 20s in both style and function.

Again, all that being said, I’m sure I would’ve been very happy with a manual regular ZL1.

OP, think hard what is most important to you in a car. I’m one of the crazy ones that doesn’t think the ZLE ride is that bad most of the time. But, it is busy/always doing something. And if you do get unlucky enough to find a really bad road it can be a bucking bronco. The only thing that bothers me is when I hit a deep manhole cover and the short travel shocks runs out of room really quick. I know it doesn’t really hurt anything, but the sound is awful and the feeling in the arse isn’t great either.

Good luck, either way you’ll happy is my guess.

Edit: I to like the overall cleaner look of the regular ZL1 for the most part. I like the front end of the ZLE with no fog lights/wider scoops etc. But, I like the lower wing of the regular ZL1. So much so, I’m thinking about buying one and swapping them out for DD/looks. Then saving the ZLE wing for track days. Just trying to research how much of a pain in the ass it is to swap them.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #21
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Also to add on...

Just my $.02.
Please get your team to provide evidence that the “ZL1 is considerably faster” in highway roll run contests. Thanks.

Also please define “considerably.” Thanks again!
Old 04-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #22
CW3SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Please get your team to provide evidence that the “ZL1 is considerably faster” in highway roll run contests. Thanks.

Also please define “considerably.” Thanks again!
Aero will be a factor in top speed. Just as it is a factor on the road course in the corners.

While “considerably faster” is open to interpretation, the 1LE WILL be slower on a top end run. Science answers that one.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #23
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Aero will be a factor in top speed. Just as it is a factor on the road course in the corners.

While “considerably faster” is open to interpretation, the 1LE WILL be slower on a top end run. Science answers that one.
I get top end. That I’ve seen. I’m talking roll runs. 70ish to 145ish. That’s the evidence I requested.

All of this is in good fun.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #24
Taylor123

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
I have a regular Zl1 and will drive an extra hour on redwood to avoid I-15 through lehi. I'd imagine a zle would be even less pleasant. In an area that is constantly under construction, I'm liking the non 1LE. What dealership are you using?
Taylor123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #25
CW3SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I get top end. That I’ve seen. I’m talking roll runs. 70ish to 145ish. That’s the evidence I requested.

All of this is in good fun.
Sounds like you are shutting down your roll races too early, lol. Let it eat.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:19 PM   #26
Mitt11

Drives: 2019 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor123 View Post
I have a regular Zl1 and will drive an extra hour on redwood to avoid I-15 through lehi. I'd imagine a zle would be even less pleasant. In an area that is constantly under construction, I'm liking the non 1LE. What dealership are you using?
In the past I used Jerry Seiner Salt Lake but I've been getting less and less impressed with them. My current C8 deposit is with Blue Diamond in Price and that's who I would buy the Camaro from if that's the route I go down. Phenomenal to work with so far.
3100 - 08/02/18 - TPW: 09/03/18
4300 - 08/28/18 - Built Early!
4200 - 09/06/18
4300 - 09/07/18
4200 - 09/11/18 - ETA in SLC - 09/16/18
4800 - 09/17/18
5000 - 09/19/18
6000 - 09/19/18 - In my garage
Mitt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #27
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Sounds like you are shutting down your roll races too early, lol. Let it eat.
No thanks. Lol.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #28
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
It may be true that "1LE WILL be slower on a top end run" but I would not be comfortable hitting 160 at the end of the front straight at Auto Club Speedway and dipping into the banking of Turn 1-2 at 150 without my 1LE aero, DSSVs and a set of fully heated 3Rs.

I bought my M6 ZLE in November 2018, I love it and would never trade for a non-1LE. An A10 ZLE would check all my boxes and I might occasionally drive it to work in bumper-to-bumper LA traffic.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote