Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
Mitt11

Drives: 2019 2SS
ZL1 vs. ZL1 1LE opinions.

Hey guys, back in February I sold my 19 2SS in anticipation of getting my 2020 C8 delivered sometime in the summer. As we all know GM isn't building cars right now so at this point I'm already pushed back to a 2021 C8, and I may not even receive the car before winter sets in, so that puts me at about a year before I can actually enjoy my new Corvette.

Before the strike and COVID, I was probably going to get the Corvette about now, so as many of you can understand I'm starting to get 'the itch' with nothing in the garage.

I'm considering picking up another Camaro in the near future, but I would really like some opinions about the ZL1 vs. the ZL1 1LE. I love the look of the ZLE and I do occasionally track my vehicles so it wouldn't be a waste, but I also want to sometimes use the car to go to work/errands and do day or two day road trips. Is the ZLE too harsh and too track focused to be used comfortably on a daily basis?

In my 19 2SS I had the 10 speed auto. What are the opinions on the 10 speed in the ZL1 and the ZLE vs the 6 speed?

Overall, for someone not using this car seriously on the track, do you think the ZLE is livable and worth the trade offs or should I go for the ZL1 for the comfort and usability?

Thanks guys, I don't want anyone to think I want people to make the decision for me but I really value the input of people that actually live with these cars.
3100 - 08/02/18 - TPW: 09/03/18
4300 - 08/28/18 - Built Early!
4200 - 09/06/18
4300 - 09/07/18
4200 - 09/11/18 - ETA in SLC - 09/16/18
4800 - 09/17/18
5000 - 09/19/18
6000 - 09/19/18 - In my garage
Mitt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
I can't stop driving my ZLE. Love the ride.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
I came from a 550whp c6z06 weighing 3150lbs. The A10 feels faster in a straight line, but there's no way it actually is.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
The ZL1 tracks well, but the ZL1 1LE has lots of upgrades that make it track great. The 1LE options are a deal as a package. It costs about 2X if you try to upgrade a non-1LE car to 1LE.

If you are only going to track a couple times a year and not go max effort, then you save $7500 and get magnaride in the normal ZL1.

I bought a normal ZL1, caught the track bug, and track it 10+ times a year. It would have made sense for me to get the 1LE in hindsight.

YMMV
Old 04-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #5
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
In before page 400. ZL1 1LE is the right choice. I am on my 2nd. 2018 M6 (sold) and 2019 A10.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
The regular ZL1 rides and drives great. I drove mine 1300+ miles home across country from purchase. It was incredibly comfortable to road trip in. I wouldn’t want to have made that drive in a 1LE. There will be a handful of 1LE to chime in below that they drive theirs everywhere and will road trip it. But make no mistake, the non 1LE ZL1 will be a far superior road trip experience.

The ZL1 is plenty track capable. Most drivers will not be able to push it to its limits. But the 1LE is hands down a better track car. If you are a talented or advanced track guy you will notice a difference. Your needs are split down the middle with the desire to track it and to road trip it. Sounds like are going to have to pick which is more important to you. But either way you go is a win. Both cars are awesome.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Either one would be a good choice. If you wanted to DD a ZLE you need to change out the tires or have an extra set of wheels/tires. Don’t think you will be disappointed with either model of the ZL1.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
As someone who owns a ZL1 1LE, the first question you have to ask yourself is - what is your pain tolerance?

The first thing I did before I even took delivery was to order a set of Michelin PS4S and have the dealer swap the tires. It made a world of difference as the sidewall of the PS4S is much softer than the 'track only' GoodYears.

I am storing the GoodYears for future track days.

With respect to ride - it all depends on the quality of your local roads. If potholes, massive expansion joints and poor overall quality is the norm, you may need to reconsider getting a ZL1 1LE.

Where I live, the roads are generally in good condition which does help with my ownership. Regardless, owning and driving a ZL1 1LE IS NOT an insulating experience.

The suspension is firm but it provides you lots of information that helps you as a driver.

The ZL1 1LE is not a cruiser.

As far as getting a 6MT vs A10 - opinions are plenty. As someone who thrives on a more 'analog' experience on mundane roads, the 6MT is the way to go. The 6MT ratios are tight with a ZL1 1LE specific 6 speed ratio that is a lot more aggressive. Rowing gears is the way to go for me.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitt11 View Post
Hey guys, back in February I sold my 19 2SS in anticipation of getting my 2020 C8 delivered sometime in the summer. As we all know GM isn't building cars right now so at this point I'm already pushed back to a 2021 C8, and I may not even receive the car before winter sets in, so that puts me at about a year before I can actually enjoy my new Corvette.

Before the strike and COVID, I was probably going to get the Corvette about now, so as many of you can understand I'm starting to get 'the itch' with nothing in the garage.

I'm considering picking up another Camaro in the near future, but I would really like some opinions about the ZL1 vs. the ZL1 1LE. I love the look of the ZLE and I do occasionally track my vehicles so it wouldn't be a waste, but I also want to sometimes use the car to go to work/errands and do day or two day road trips. Is the ZLE too harsh and too track focused to be used comfortably on a daily basis?

In my 19 2SS I had the 10 speed auto. What are the opinions on the 10 speed in the ZL1 and the ZLE vs the 6 speed?

Overall, for someone not using this car seriously on the track, do you think the ZLE is livable and worth the trade offs or should I go for the ZL1 for the comfort and usability?

Thanks guys, I don't want anyone to think I want people to make the decision for me but I really value the input of people that actually live with these cars.
People are always going to tell you they DD their car and it's great. It's also great in the snow too.

It's not like the ZL1 does bad at the track.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
I used to have an SS-1LE with mag-ride, So I have a direct comparison between the 2 different suspensions. The ZLE rides a bit stiffer, no doubt about it, but in my personal opinion, it's not terrible. It is 100% livable for the purposes that you list (I use mine for almost the exact same purposes)...and if memory serves, SLC roads aren't that bad (at least they weren't back the early 2000's when I was stationed in Layton, UT).

Ultimately, ride comfort is in the "seat of the beholder", and everyone has their own tolerance/threshold, but for anyone that's been around performance cars for any period of time, the ZLE is a reasonably comfortable ride. I had a 2012 Lexus ISF that was BRUTAL and don't even get me started on my C5-Z06 or SN-95 Cobra's. The ZLE rides like a Cadillac by comparison.

Like others have stated, tires are probably a bigger concern. I love the GYSC3's, but holy-God, they throw rocks like a pi$$ed off Palestinian protester...and I'm pretty sure, the tire tread evaporates while parked in my garage. Plan on changing tires within the first 3-5k miles (assuming zero track days). If you like the looks/features of the ZLE - go for it. Don't let the suspension be the single deciding factor.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Oh lord not again. Let me summarize this next saga in the comparison.

"The ride is terrible on the ZLE"
"I love the ride of the ZLE"
"If you don't track, get the ZL1"
"ZLE rides a lot better than my 1945 Farmall tractor"
"ZLE forced me to pursue back surgery"
"The ZLE is only faster because of the tires mostly"
"Does yours have an engine plaque?"
"ZLE is super rare, I think there were only 2,438 manufactured in Red, M6, Sunroof, sans-Nav, and PDR without the ECHI"

Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #12
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post

"ZLE is super rare, I think there were only 2,438 manufactured in Red, M6, Sunroof, sans-Nav, and PDR without the ECHI"

Hahaha!!! So true
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #13
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:

M6 or A10?
Old 04-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #14
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:

Nailed it. Now, will I need a tune if I get a roto-fab....
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote