Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-11-2024, 06:24 PM   #253
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
I talked with my cousin today, who has a huge auto shop class in a high school that looks nicer than most shops. He has several scan tools in his shop. He can use a powered scan tool (Snap On or others) to communicate with the car even if the OBD fuse has been removed. So unless the thieves aren't using a powered device, removing the fuse won't do much good. :(

Welp, thanks for confirming. It was worth a shot!
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:52 PM   #254
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
I would like to thank everyone for this discussion and the various methods to prevent theft.

In the interim I have taken the passive approach with a OBD-II lock and a generic steering wheel lock. The steering wheel lock will provide the early warning presence that this owner is doing some thing to deter theft and maybe other prevention's will be encountered. I won't use the steering lock all the time, only when maybe deemed necessary. Maybe a little sign on the window stating; "OBD-II deactivated." LOL

I want to thank DamonZ28 for referencing Genosgarage.com the OBD-II lock for $51. I got a spare key for $10. It appears to be exactly like the BEM unit that VR Baron mentioned. Certainly cheaper to buy the Genos version. It is metal and very secure fit. Probably can be defeated, but is a good deterrent.

This will suffice for now, until I decide on what direction to go with for a more active solution. Quite a few good options mentioned in this thread. Thanks again.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:54 PM   #255
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerus View Post
I want to thank DamonZ28 for referencing Genosgarage.com the OBD-II lock for $51.
Glad it worked for you! Looks like a nice solid unit. I'm still debating on getting one. I have several layers of protection - faraday bags, steering wheel lock, fake OBD port, and Mobilistics immobilizer.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:16 PM   #256
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
**** all of these dirt bags for trying to steal our cars that we work for for everyday and do the right things in life to pay for. Try this shit in Texas and see how that turns out.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:22 PM   #257
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
File?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
An update on this 3D-printed OBD port lock that I have been using. I've made two changes to try and improve the effectiveness.

I am using this on an OBD splitter cable. This lock latches onto a nub on the bottom of the OBD connector. That nub had an angled ramp (circled in photo below) that I think makes it easier to pry off the OBD lock. So I cut that angled ramp off the nub so the lock has a flat surface to grab against (arrow points to the modified nub).

Attachment 1147840

I also added a flat plastic shim inside the lock to eliminate the front to back slack. An appropriate (or inappropriate?) level of brute force will likely still be able to remove the lock, but that just leads to another set of "problems" for the would be thief. TBD.

Attachment 1147841

Finally, I have the following splitter coming for possible use. With my OBD port appearing disabled, someone looking under the dash will see three bright yellow connectors hanging down in various places. Maybe they will have 12V... maybe they will fry a device hooked up to them... or maybe they will be connected to a salvaged ECU that the thief's OBD device can try to talk to. Options!
Hi, do you have a file to print for this? Thanks!
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:06 AM   #258
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004YZFR1 View Post
I got the one I am using from Amazon. The price has bumped up $5 since January: https://a.co/d/fHMNQAu

A file for this might be floating around out there. You'd just need the hardware (security screws and threaded inserts).
The Maverick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 02:56 PM   #259
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004YZFR1 View Post
I have one for sale if you want it

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624046
Old 03-14-2024, 08:59 PM   #260
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
Glad it worked for you! Looks like a nice solid unit. I'm still debating on getting one. I have several layers of protection - faraday bags, steering wheel lock, fake OBD port, and Mobilistics immobilizer.
Those seem like very reasonable theft deterrents. I probably will end up with some of those too. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:09 AM   #261
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
IGLA > all these methods. don't need to use obd2 to access the car or clone a key
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 08:21 PM   #262
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfxrte View Post
IGLA > all these methods.
Yes, IGLA $ are > all these other methods, combined!
The Maverick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 03:51 PM   #263
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
So did any of you call GM customer service and demand an security Update 1-800 222-1020. Just like JLR did for it customers new and older vehicles. IF not , Please do so. This is the best solution that would solve this problem.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:15 PM   #264
JAITG

Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
So did any of you call GM customer service and demand an security Update 1-800 222-1020. Just like JLR did for it customers new and older vehicles. IF not , Please do so. This is the best solution that would solve this problem.
JLR's security update is bypassed fairly easily by taking an extra 30 seconds of work.

If chevy's is any similar I don't want to cough up the cash. I am going with IGLA this week, and this is coming from someone anxious about theft but even more anxious about an aftermarket electronic leaving me stranded somewhere.
JAITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:52 AM   #265
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAITG View Post
JLR's security update is bypassed fairly easily by taking an extra 30 seconds of work.

If chevy's is any similar I don't want to cough up the cash. I am going with IGLA this week, and this is coming from someone anxious about theft but even more anxious about an aftermarket electronic leaving me stranded somewhere.
You are missing the point. IGLA, one of the better systems (I know) does nothing to prevent anyone from smashing the window and attempting the break-in to the vehicle. Why, because this is a known vulnerability in the car thievery tiktok world to attempt to steal your Camaro. You STILL GET damage and glass left, picking up pieces for the life of ownership. Once word gets on the street this has been fixed, and that they could no longer be successful that way, thefts won't be attempted as much.

JLR said it's has software updates to prevent these attack methods. Vehicles dating back to 2016 will be eligible for Free updates. The software update prevents keys being programmed by the BCM hack method and also stops external devices from being able to send commands to the car’s computer system.

So even with IGLA, also Car Lock and a GPS tracker. Call GM customer service and demand the Update. Thanks.

Last edited by L2SS455; 03-19-2024 at 12:57 PM.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 09:26 AM   #266
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerus View Post
I would like to thank everyone for this discussion and the various methods to prevent theft.

In the interim I have taken the passive approach with a OBD-II lock and a generic steering wheel lock. The steering wheel lock will provide the early warning presence that this owner is doing some thing to deter theft and maybe other prevention's will be encountered. I won't use the steering lock all the time, only when maybe deemed necessary. Maybe a little sign on the window stating; "OBD-II deactivated." LOL

I want to thank DamonZ28 for referencing Genosgarage.com the OBD-II lock for $51. I got a spare key for $10. It appears to be exactly like the BEM unit that VR Baron mentioned. Certainly cheaper to buy the Genos version. It is metal and very secure fit. Probably can be defeated, but is a good deterrent.

This will suffice for now, until I decide on what direction to go with for a more active solution. Quite a few good options mentioned in this thread. Thanks again.

Just ordered, glad fitment is not an issue!

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote