Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-26-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
CHRI55
Streetkingz_chri55

Drives: 2012 2ss/rs
tt vs centri

So... stuck between going centri and turbo... car is currently na but set up to be more of a centri car (ss4, 4k stall,, 3.91,etc) but talked with a turbo company and said they a nice TT kit will work great with it

Going to eventually build a motor for the car but currently sbe.. looking for 800ish rwhp give or take but still want to be able to just drive it on the weekend, take road trips with it when I want to etc... ik turbos have a lot of growing room but I kinda wanna keep my rear exiting exhaust.. will be a street car but since I changed areas, and it's 3 tracks within 30 minutes, I will be on the track, only Mexico race in my old area.. can I have pros and cons of going either way
CHRI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:55 AM   #2
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Either turbo or centri should allow you to keep your rear exiting exhaust.

I went TT over centri for a few reasons:
-don't see as many turbo V8s compared to supercharged
-I much prefer the sound of turbo vs centri
-easier boost control
-simple install, no crank pinning

I was looking at the ESS superchargers prior to going with the AGP TT kit, if I went centri I'd probably go with ESS.

If you are interested in a used AGP kit + fuel system send me a PM
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #3
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Don't have either setup but I do know I don't like the sound of a Centri. Turbo to me seems like a more complicated install with all the piping and exhaust what not. Pinning the crank is super simple with the tool. after its pinned and removing and reinstalling the crank pulley not as simple.
Turbo boost can be a funny thing and hard to control depending how you do it. If you electronically control it you will have boost variations as temps increase decrease which can be bad. Manual blowoff valve would be more consistent.
I feel turbos do not last as long with the heat but I could be wrong.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #4
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
A well designed turbo kit should be bolt on to existing exhaust. IC piping can be a pain to route, but I don't think it's that much more difficult than heat exchangers and circulation pumps - just different.

Same with boost control - just different dealing with a wastegate spring or boost controller vs. pulleys and belts.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
bayarea408

Drives: T
If you really have plans to build the motor, Twin Turbo. Gen 5 is easy to work on, and the ceiling for power on a twin kit is just insane.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #6
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Early on I looked at top mount and centri. Decided on a Whipple but somehow ended up buying the entry level AGP twin turbo setup. No issues with the turbos or system for 40k miles and 7 years, not even a leaky turbo seal. On a SBE motor but had head work. Yes, power on demand. Centri's have a nice linear power delivery. Turbos, depending on how boost is to be controlled, can enter boost smoothly or intensely. As for the complexity of install, nothing dramatic. With twins you don't have all the "required" supporting mods to make more power (cam, headers, intake). Turbos doesn't need all that jazz, but it does help make power with a little less boost. Maintenance, nothing dramatic. I've watched SC belts get changed too often. Whichever way you decide to go, LS motors love boost and you will enjoy it.

BTW, I don't ever recall a centri beating me at the strip... just saying.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #7
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I forgot to mention. If power goals down the road will be excess of 1k I would go TT.
Another note, I did talk to the Jannetty's about TT last year. Teddy told me about a couple they worked on that made big numbers, but on the street it was not as usable or enjoyable as PD or Centri. The gist I got was it felt like it was either too little power then too much power. Low boost you likely wouldn't have the same issues. At the track you wouldn't have the hooking issues, but on the street linear predictable power curves are hard to beat. It is quite easy to have low boost setup for street and high boost when you take it to the track though with a turbo setup.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #8
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
If I were to do it all over again, I’d stick with centri. Just the sound of the blower going is nice. Also I would’ve built the block.

I supported 800whp once….then 0 hp. :(
730whp: 630Trq

Last edited by RupertPupkin; 08-26-2021 at 04:13 PM.
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #9
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Just wanted to say if you decide centri, ESS does not have belt issues.

As far as install goes, centri is waaaay easier. Pinning the crank is cake. Id rather do that than tap the oil pan for the return line, run oil feed/drain lines to each turbo, plus vacuum lines, all under the car. No comparison, unless you have a lift.

Twins are badass though, no argument there.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:04 PM   #10
CHRI55
Streetkingz_chri55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Either turbo or centri should allow you to keep your rear exiting exhaust.

I went TT over centri for a few reasons:
-don't see as many turbo V8s compared to supercharged
-I much prefer the sound of turbo vs centri
-easier boost control
-simple install, no crank pinning

I was looking at the ESS superchargers prior to going with the AGP TT kit, if I went centri I'd probably go with ESS.

If you are interested in a used AGP kit + fuel system send me a PM

I was looking at the ess g3x kit and had a guy that was about to pull his and got TT but decided to keep it and sell the kit and at the time didn't want to go turbo.. but I do like the boost control of a turbo but like the easier maintenance of the centri.. but crank pining was something I was worried about
Old 08-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #11
CHRI55
Streetkingz_chri55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Don't have either setup but I do know I don't like the sound of a Centri. Turbo to me seems like a more complicated install with all the piping and exhaust what not. Pinning the crank is super simple with the tool. after its pinned and removing and reinstalling the crank pulley not as simple.
Turbo boost can be a funny thing and hard to control depending how you do it. If you electronically control it you will have boost variations as temps increase decrease which can be bad. Manual blowoff valve would be more consistent.
I feel turbos do not last as long with the heat but I could be wrong.
Yea the boost variant of a turbo with heat ir kinda why I didn't want to. I know the weather has a lot to do with that as well as any boost really but turbo most definitely
Old 08-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #12
CHRI55
Streetkingz_chri55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
Early on I looked at top mount and centri. Decided on a Whipple but somehow ended up buying the entry level AGP twin turbo setup. No issues with the turbos or system for 40k miles and 7 years, not even a leaky turbo seal. On a SBE motor but had head work. Yes, power on demand. Centri's have a nice linear power delivery. Turbos, depending on how boost is to be controlled, can enter boost smoothly or intensely. As for the complexity of install, nothing dramatic. With twins you don't have all the "required" supporting mods to make more power (cam, headers, intake). Turbos doesn't need all that jazz, but it does help make power with a little less boost. Maintenance, nothing dramatic. I've watched SC belts get changed too often. Whichever way you decide to go, LS motors love boost and you will enjoy it.

BTW, I don't ever recall a centri beating me at the strip... just saying.

🤔🤔🤔 what's the price average of a nice tt kit compared to a centri kit
Old 08-26-2021, 05:11 PM   #13
CHRI55
Streetkingz_chri55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
If I were to do it all over again, I’d stick with centri. Just the sound of the blower going is nice. Also I would’ve built the block.

I supported 800whp once….then 0 hp. :(
I plan on building the motor eventually.. just want to get the main part out the way so I can build a motor specifically for boost and not na/boost
Old 08-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #14
CHRI55
Streetkingz_chri55

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
Just wanted to say if you decide centri, ESS does not have belt issues.

As far as install goes, centri is waaaay easier. Pinning the crank is cake. Id rather do that than tap the oil pan for the return line, run oil feed/drain lines to each turbo, plus vacuum lines, all under the car. No comparison, unless you have a lift.

Twins are badass though, no argument there.
I really been having my eye on ess g3x not for about a year now... I hear their gearing is different so you don't have to pulley as far down as the others to make the same boost.. been looking at the c6gs with it and been looking at it since. Anyway had a kit from someone here but they decided not to go TT and keep the ess🥺🥺🥺😔😔😔