Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
Jdelgado92

Drives: '16 Red hot M6
Rev match..what a beautiful thing!

Before i even ordered my camaro i knew it came with rev matching which i had no idea what it meant after reading a bit i got the gist of it, seemed cool but i still had no idea how to operate it. i thought you had to hit the paddles every time you shifted up or down all while pressing the clutch, shifting with the right hand and steering with the left. i was psyching myself out thinking learning all this was crazy still ordered anyway and came to find out on the delivery day that the paddles were just the on\off(what a relief!). so on the drive home i turned it on and it sounded like engine braking, which were not supposed to do while breaking it in, so i turned it off. then i turned it on again a couple days later but it confused the crap out of me while trying to learn stick so i decided not to use it ever since until today.

After reading some more i decided to try it again today and WOW what difference. My up shifting is 100% smooth and my down shifting is awesome, way better than my car engine breaking because i wasn't at the right rpms(tried my hardest not to do this but it happens). not to mention that the car sounds bad ass when it rev matches. anyway, i cant believe what ive been missing since i got my camaro.

Dont get me wrong , i would love to learn to heel-toe and hopefully i will in the future but as a newbie manual driver, ill stick to the car rev matching for me for now

If theres anything i shouldnt be doing with rev matching please let me know.

Anyway, i just wanted to share my experience and thank you for reading

-Julian
Jdelgado92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:20 AM   #2
Beaveroner

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue
I'm loving it as well. Only thing for me though is remembering to turn it on lol. I mean an option to keep it on 100% of the time, or atleast it being on from the start would have been nice, but honestly it's no biggie. Also, I get an occasional dirty look from drivers when I come in behind them down shifting and they think I'm being a jerk revving at them. This will be hilarious when I go straight pipes in the next couple of weeks.

2016 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Beaveroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:16 AM   #3
moonrider

Drives: 2016 2SS
I have only had the car for one day, and I really like the auto rev match also. I traded my manual in back in December, but I still have the habit of wanting to rev match on my own. My old car would crackle and pop when I would rev match, so I need an exhaust on the Camaro ASAP.
moonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
I agree 100%. I haven't driven without it yet! Great for new manual drivers. I do plan on learning how to do it myself when I become more comfortable driving the car.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
I consider your experience as the main reason why rev match needs to be included with all manual cars. Even above track use. It would encourage people that are weaker at driving a manual to purchase one since it makes the driving experience so much easier.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
I won't lie, I was a bit skeptical when the ARM was announced for the C7 and then the gen6 SS. But after actually driving it and getting used the fact that I don't have to rev match, I was stunned! What an amazing system! 100% accuracy and PERFECT rev match every single time? It's unbelievable! I gotta say... Chevy is spoiling the hell out of me. All the bells and whistles, MRC, NPP, 2SS goodies, ARM... I don't see myself buying another vehicle than Chevy lol.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #7
Track_OK

Drives: 2016 1SS M6 Summit White
Heel-toe is definitely hard to get right. I suggest learning to manually blip the throttle between downshifts first so you get a feel of the needed pressure on the gas and the clutch release/grab point. Once you can do that without thinking make the jump to heel-toe.
Track_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #8
aggiebq03

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS (on order)
This is a feature I'm really looking forward to trying out when I get my car.
aggiebq03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
i am pretty good at heal-toe-ing. i've had cars made it very easy and allowed me to transition the skill into cars that were a bit more difficult.
I wasn't sure how i felt about rev-match(especially after investing time to learning) but i will say I LOVE IT.

Makes it just much easier to focus on other things that need attention. (also reduces the risk of ever slipping off the brake when coming into a corner hot, rare I know, but surely memorable if it ever happened)
I am not worried about any driver hardos trying to say its cheating or learn to do it yourself. I will not heal-toe myself in this car, ever, the computer handles it perfectly.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #10
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Makes it just much easier to focus on other things that need attention. (also reduces the risk of ever slipping off the brake when coming into a corner hot, rare I know, but surely memorable if it ever happened)
I am not worried about any driver hardos trying to say its cheating or learn to do it yourself. I will not heal-toe myself in this car, ever, the computer handles it perfectly.
Exactly...In the mountains or twisties you can pay more attention to your lines and not worry about a missed downshift rev stepping the rear out and putting you in the weeds. It's a terrific system. I liked it on my 370Z as well..
Old 03-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #11
MIAMI2SSRS

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS Camaro
Yep. I love it and don't drive my car without it on.

MIAMI2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #12
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
It is one of the best things about my car. I totally love it.. there were purists on this forum who condemned it .. saying crazy things like not to buy a manual if you cant rev match on your own, or if you need hill start assist.. I was like f it... if this thing can help me elongate the life of my transmission.. hell yes I am going for it.. and you know something.. if they want manual cars to not die... they need to make this feature standard...worst case you just turn it off..

When I learnt driving on a manual car.. and this was 10 years ago.. my driving instructor never taught me how to rev match... hell i didnt know abt it until last year or so... so this was my first time doing it.. I am in love with the system.. it shifts beautifully .. I want to learn how to do it on my own.. and eventually I will.. but right now the cars too new for me to try something on it...
Old 03-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #13
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
I love how some guys here whine about the new technology. In my early days you had to learn to do it...Syncros generally being suspect and transmissions fragile on a host of imports I owned over the years. It had nothing to do with being "Manly", it had everything to do with having your car work reliably. I really don't want to go back to those days. The car can now do it faster and better than I could on my best day.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #14
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Can someone explain what it is in layman terms? I have never driven a manual and have no idea how to, what does it eliminate?
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote