The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
AMSOIL is the answer

Have you guys ever heard of AMSOIL they basically invented synthetic oils years ago before anyone else had it. 100 % full synthetic motor oil , I use it in my Mercedes and it is good for 25.000 miles per oil change, GUARANTEED amazing product they can even test your oil say at 20.000 miles by a independent lap to prove it is still good, but you do need a special oil filter with nano fiber technology that can handle the extended drain cycle which AMSOIL also makes. If everyone used these SUPER OILS our oil prices would go way way down . Not only that they are much better for your engine since synthetic oils almost totally eliminate engine wear due to there extreme anti friction properties , I was in Germany on holidays a few years a go and I rented a brand new BMW for the autobahn anyways the digital computer said next oil change in 30000 km , the oil is full syntetic right from the factory when it is built thats why ...
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:31 AM   #16
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^Nice. I wouldn't mind doing an oil change every 30K miles. Too bad it would prolly cost an arm and a leg. But.....

My dealer finally told me 5,000 miles between oil changes with fully synthetic.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:12 AM   #17
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I hope the Camaro has an information center that tells me when to change the oil because I don't know anything about this kind of stuff Although in all fairness I'd probably learn it all to keep the Camaro running as long as possible.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #18
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
I have my own opinion based on facts and research done years and years ago that I can't find so I'll just paraphrase.

Oil isn't what needs to be changed that often, Its the filter. Filters are usualy only good for 3000 miles before they start backing/letting particles through.

My rotation is the following

Real oil - filter change at every 3000 miles complete change every 5k miles.
Synth oil - Filter change at every 3000 miles and complete oil/filter at 8k miles.

My wifes truck gets whatever Toyota wants done to it cause when/if it breaks they will be paying for it.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #19
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I don't change it until the car tells me to. But I check the oil at 3000, and every 1000 after that until I get the alert, or my checking reveals crappy oil.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #20
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I been meaning to look for a good proformence filter

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #21
gladiatoro

Is your dealer a oil expert probably not , anyways do your own research , yes oil filters are the main problem this is why AMSOIL has special filters with NANOTECHNOLOGY that are capable of extended drain usage. I have noticed my car has more power and starts much nicer now using these high tech oils. If been using AMSOIL for years now the price is probably the same or less considering you get 5 times longer miles out of one oil change vs cheap oil , and think of all the time saved too from not having to do all those oil changes , plus it's much better for your cars engine anyways ...
Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #22
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
We bought our 03 Avalanche new. I only change the oil when it tells me to, and that is normally between 5k and 8k miles. It now has over 160000 miles on it and still runs great, no smoke, and doesn't burn any significant amount of oil between changes.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #23
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
I hope the Camaro has an information center that tells me when to change the oil because I don't know anything about this kind of stuff Although in all fairness I'd probably learn it all to keep the Camaro running as long as possible.
it definitely will. The DIC (driver information center, feel free to let the jokes roll in because your car has a DIC) is becoming very standard in the new Chevy's. Even the Aveo will have it in '09...
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #24
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
My Subaru has been able to handle late oil changes without any performance issues. I think the shops just want us to believe this myth so we come in more often and they can charge us more frequently. As a business approach, that's a great way to make a few extra bucks.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #25
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2001 Chevy Impala
as a younger guy i really didnt know much about cars til about 2 years ago i started learning parts, what they do,.. until 1 year ago i started checking my car's oil regularly, rotating my own tires, its simple stuff that shops charge alot for, i'm in the proccess of learning to change my brakes, they say its easy, but i wanna make sure, theese are the brakes after all..if i screw up it could be bad, but staying with the thread, when my oil starts getting dirtier or darker i give it a few more miles, when i see its a bit darker i change it, theres alot of construction by my house on main roads i use, so my oil gets dirty fast, air filter too, so i can'y really wait for my light to come on as instructed in the manual, i just change my oil and filter when i see its time to.

Last edited by Navy Blue; 07-18-2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Navy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #26
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Blue View Post
as a younger guy i really didnt know much about cars til about 2 years ago i started learning parts, what they do,.. until 1 year ago i started checking my car's oil regularly, rotating my own tires, its simple stuff that shops charge alot for, i'm in the proccess of learning to change my brakes, they say its easy, but i wanna make sure, theese are the brakes after all..if i screw up it could be bad, but staying with the thread, when my oil starts getting dirtier or darker i give it a few more miles, when i see its a bit darker i change it, theres alot of construction by my house on main roads i use, so my oil gets dirty fast, air filter too, so i can'y really wait for my light to come on as instructed in the manual, i just change my oil and filter when i see its time to.
Right, when you can see the dirt in the oil...... dont wait for long. If I can see the oil getting darker, I change it or get it changed asap.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #27
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
My G8 tells me that I don't have to change the oil until 10,700 miles (based on my driving habits). Love it...the Ford I had before did not have this feature and I'm sure I changed the oil too soon many times.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #28
gladiatoro

You are exactly correct , sell more oil make more money it is a BIG conspiracy , even the car companies are in it to get spin offs from big oil giants telling us when to change the oil with there onboard computer displays , european co's like Mercedes , BMW , Audi etc. seem to be much better , they are more environmentally conscious indeed , if more people would know the truth our planet would be much less polluted ...