The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
GM says 43 of its plants are 'landfill free'

Quote:
General Motors Corp. said today that it plans to transform more half, or about 80, of its manufacturing plants around the world to nearly waste free status by 2010.

In recent years, GM transformed 10 of its manufacturing plants to what it calls “landfill free” status and on Friday, the company added 33 additional plants to that list, bringing the total to 43. GM describes “landfill free,” as reusing or recycling 96% or more of the waste generated by the manufacturing process.

“As one of the largest companies in the world, GM has the ability to make a significant positive impact on the environmental issues facing the globe,” said John Buttermore, vice president GM powertrain. “We’re making significant progress in reducing the impact of our worldwide facilities, and their impact on the environment.

Over the past 10 to 15 years, other automakers – including Toyota and Subaru – have also designated their plants as landfill free, and the automotive industry in general has made strides towards reducing the environmental impact of manufacturing plants.

Ken Knight, executive director of General Motors’ Worldwide Facilities Group, said that over the past 10 to 15 years there has been a tremendous cultural shift within his company about how waste generated by the manufacturing process is viewed.

“Under the old view, it was a necessary evil,” Knight said. “But in the mid-1990s, this view started to shift and we began to view our waste streams as precious resources which were simply out of place.”

GM said that over 3 million tons of waste materials will be recycled or reused from its plants this year. GM said it will recycle about 630,000 tons of scrap metal, 8,000 tons of wood, 7,500 tons of cardboard and 1,200 tons of plastic.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../80905030/1014

This can only be viewed as a good thing, imo. In fact, it may even save them money; instead of buying more materials, and decent portion of that could be this recycled stuff.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
This can only be viewed as a good thing, imo. In fact, it may even save them money; instead of buying more materials, and decent portion of that could be this recycled stuff.

Wonder what % of their plants are now 'landfill free'. Also, I've never understood how throwing stuff away was better than recycling it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
it also helps the green image gm is trying to give now too which is important for the sheepish public who is concerned about global warming
Old 09-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Wonder what % of their plants are now 'landfill free'. Also, I've never understood how throwing stuff away was better than recycling it.
I always figured recycling was always better.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote