Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-11-2022, 08:35 AM   #1
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Dealership installed track front air deflectors

When the dealer was doing the PDI, I paid a visit and saw the car in the air. The tech told me he was installing the SS front brake deflectors and I saw the stock deflectors and thought that was what he was putting on. When changing the oil for the first time at 2k mi. I noticed the track deflectors were on. I reach out to them, told them what they did, and asked for the stock parts back (they did not include the stock parts with the car). They apologized and said they still had them (weird they were just holding them).

Being in northern IL, I needed a set of winter wheels/tires and yesterday was the swap day since it's in the 30's for the next two weeks and the summer only tires aren't rated below 40 deg F. So this gave me the opportunity to swap the deflectors (now at 3k mi.).

I thought I'd show them for those without the SS. You can see the three air pathways also (air curtain, aux radiators, brake ducts):

Track deflectors hang down lower and the manual states they are not to be used daily.

Track: Left. Stock: Right.

The rears (no brake ducts, just FYI)

Winter tires (Blizzak) installed, bought used with the wheels and TPMS for $500:

Programmed the TPMS this morning (easy) and now I get to take it easy till spring.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 09:49 AM   #2
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Great pictures. I love the fact you’re driving yours all season long.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 01:21 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Yeah, air scoopage onto the brakes is real with these deflectors, but they extend way too low for my taste (and roads).

Interestingly, my dealership made the same mistake in 2018, they somehow read the PDI document as if these had to be installed, but I found the stock ones in the trunk and made them swap those back on.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:49 AM   #4
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
It looks like they also installed the smaller dust shields as well. I daily drove with the small dust shields and larger brake deflectors the entire time I had my 2018 with no issues, never even a scrape. At ~$15 even if they broke I wasn't losing any sleep regarding a replacement. But my car was purely a canyon/track toy and was not lowered. These and the small rotor shield they come with also work perfectly on I4/V6 Camaros if you make a slight trim to the deflector so the ABS sensor doesn't rub at full lock. However, they do not work well at all on SS 1LEs if you are seeking extra brake cooling since the larger deflector interferes with the ABS sensors and the tie rod.
wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:12 AM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
I run mine all year long but I currently live in San Diego and my car is a "weekend fun car" so it hasn't ever seen rain in nearly 3 years, but I can see how this would be an issue in Illinois if your car is a year around driver, you do not want it packing snow and salt up into your rotors unnecessarily... (Where in Illinois are you? I have (unfortunately) lived in San Diego for the last 11 years (which is good for car care) but I am originally from Northern Illinois (Chicago NW Burbs)) (I have to say, I love your garage but it makes me sad to see your Camaro with road wear and snow tires on it!!!)
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:00 AM   #6
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_xmas View Post
These and the small rotor shield they come with also work perfectly on I4/V6 Camaros if you make a slight trim to the deflector so the ABS sensor doesn't rub at full lock. However, they do not work well at all on SS 1LEs if you are seeking extra brake cooling since the larger deflector interferes with the ABS sensors and the tie rod.

I'm not following you. The ABS sensor and tie rod are in the same place regardless of whether or not it's a 1LE. I run the track deflectors on my 1LE and never had any interference issues.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:30 AM   #7
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I run mine all year long but I currently live in San Diego and my car is a "weekend fun car" so it hasn't ever seen rain in nearly 3 years, but I can see how this would be an issue in Illinois if your car is a year around driver, you do not want it packing snow and salt up into your rotors unnecessarily... (Where in Illinois are you? I have (unfortunately) lived in San Diego for the last 11 years (which is good for car care) but I am originally from Northern Illinois (Chicago NW Burbs)) (I have to say, I love your garage but it makes me sad to see your Camaro with road wear and snow tires on it!!!)
I'm in the northwest corner of Illinois, the Quad Cities (Davenport, Bettendorf, Rock Island, Moline) which is essentially a series of suburbs without an actual city attached. It is where I-88 starts and meets up with I-80 near the Mississippi River.

I know that it makes some sad that I am and will daily drive this, including a lot of interstate miles for work, but it's those interstate miles that essentially pays for the car. It has 800 miles on it since the last washing and needs another bath.

This barn/garage is detached and for extra vehicles and projects. The attached is for mine and my wife's daily.

A recent project was getting the '66 MGB sideways in the front of the barn to make room for the Ranger (which will be my daily when there's snow or excessive salt on the roads). Both the 01 Ranger and 14 Accord in this pic have 220,000 miles each and I bought the Accord new. I drive a lot but I also take care of things.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

New Engine @ 22,600

Old 11-12-2022, 11:00 AM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
I'm not following you. The ABS sensor and tie rod are in the same place regardless of whether or not it's a 1LE. I run the track deflectors on my 1LE and never had any interference issues.
Same for me...several years and around 30k miles in my case without any major issues. I did snap a few of the bolt heads that hold the plastic deflectors in place but they can be extracted and replaced or zip ties can be used instead. The deflectors are very flexible. A small part of the leading edge of the deflectors has scraped away but not enough to make a difference or prompt me to remove/replace them.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #9
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
Nigel
Not ruling out that I was just probably just being an idiot, but following the instructions for the splash guards and flipping the clips for wheel sensors the cable was in full contact with the shield and would rub all the time. Maybe the tie rod interference is due to the MRC suspension drooping more (car was jacked up with wheel off) than the 2018 V6 1LE I was comparing it to. From what I read the difference is marginal to the deflectors and shields that come on the SS 1LE so once I hit a couple snags I put the originals back on, but maybe I'll try again with a jack under the suspension so it's not at full droop when I do my track prep for next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Same for me...several years and around 30k miles in my case without any major issues. I did snap a few of the bolt heads that hold the plastic deflectors in place but they can be extracted and replaced or zip ties can be used instead. The deflectors are very flexible. A small part of the leading edge of the deflectors has scraped away but not enough to make a difference or prompt me to remove/replace them.
Yeah the bolt heads are made of play doh, and the torque spec in the instructions of 29 lb in will snap those heads right off.
wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 03:29 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You really don’t need the track deflectors on a car for the street. The instructions included with the deflectors say they are for track use and remove after the event.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #11
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
You really don’t need the track deflectors on a car for the street. The instructions included with the deflectors say they are for track use and remove after the event.
Correct, which is why I changed them back to stock. I sent the dealer photos of what they installed and snips of the manual to make the point that they should stop putting them on.

New Engine @ 22,600

Old 11-12-2022, 07:32 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Good deal!��
Old 01-19-2023, 03:19 PM   #13
frankcam6

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
When changing the oil for the first time at 2k mi. I noticed the track deflectors were on. I reach out to them, told them what they They apologized and said they still had them (weird they were just holding them).

Same boat as you, tracks installed at delivery. By chance do you have images of what the "stock" deflectors look like or part numbers so I can reach out to dealership. Its been a few months so Im guessing they tossed them..... thx
frankcam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:06 PM   #14
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Do the ZL1s come with these already installed? I don't know that i've ever seen a set of these on my car when i had it up in the air.

Tags
1ss, 2ss, brakes, deflectors