Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-28-2022, 06:28 AM   #15
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
7 02.187 KEY, DR LK & IGN LK (UNCODED) (MECHANICAL KEY, 4X6 ELONGATED CHAMFERED HOLE. 16MM OD RING & 18.9MM OD RING) (TRANSPONDER KEY) (Service Lane Part) E37-67 2010 - 2015 01 1C 5L 0682C

Don't know why I'm wasting my time, I have cars to work on! But if your that insistent, go buy yourself that $13 key and have them cut it for you. On your way out throw your original key in the trash and take the new key and start your car.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:44 AM   #16
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
I gonna go with 45 on this one...he hasnt been wrong yet..
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:08 AM   #17
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt O View Post
I gonna go with 45 on this one...he hasnt been wrong yet..
Thanks, I'm not always right, but I am on this one. I've done over 50 of the key recalls and I know for a fact if you don't program the key to the car it will not start! I've never had the need or desire to cut one of those keys apart, so I don't know how big or small the chip is, but it's definitely in there.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:07 AM   #18
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Maybe both of you are right? Are there keys available through the dealer that doesn't have the chip? Maybe they are being loaded into a fob with a chip as the switchblade?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:18 AM   #19
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Maybe both of you are right? Are there keys available through the dealer that doesn't have the chip? Maybe they are being loaded into a fob with a chip as the switchblade?
You can get just the blade that goes into the fob, you can get a plain metal key that will only work the door, or you can get the plastic transponder key (recall key). He was referring to the plastic key stating that it wasn't a transponder key, and that's not true.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #20
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
The transponder is in the key, but you are correct that the old set up has the transponder in the fob. When you do the recall you are simply removing the metal blade from the fob and programming a separate transponder key to the car. The original transponder remains in the fob but is inactive because it's not close enough to the sensor in the column. This is what makes programming a new fob so difficult. With the old switchblade key, when you program the immobilizer you simultaneously program the remote functions of the fob to the car. With the separate key you can't get the fob close enough to the exciter ring in the lock cylinder for it to program.

I use only the recall key on my Camaro, and I also cut another of those key blanks and programmed it to my wife's Cruze. I use them independently without the remotes to cut down on bulk on my key ring. So obviously, there's a transponder inside the key!

Gotcha thanks for clearing that up. It’s been a few years since I did the replacement key on the old car so my mind is a little fuzzy on it.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote