Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #99
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Few post I read beating down on the Z28. I sit in the Z28 and it more than satisfies me ,doesn't feel stripped at all. Anyone who knows and respects a Porsche GT3 RS, Noble M400, Lotus Exige S, BMW E46 M3 CSL knows what they aim at and honestly I see the Z28 as the most in my eyes cherished gen 5 Camaro. I track at Limerock with 2 guys who owns Z28s and they have never seen these issues we read about on this forum. Other than tires the 2 Zs are totally reliable. As for the 1+ second difference between the 2 cars are concerned. I am going to have to see other track comparisons to really see the difference in capabilities. For example the Nismo GTR beat the C7 Z on 1 course and did really well at the ring with please note, 100 octane fuel not 93. But on other courses the C7 destroyed the Nismo GTr. Like I said before I'll say again, owning a Z28 isn't a lose at all. Lighter rims will make the car a better performer but will also take a huge bite out of your wallet but will be worth it. On another note there are a couple of just more of the gen 6 Camaro SS at dealers near me which I will hunt and photograph today and I did see the all black mean looking GT350 yesterday but didn't get pictures, phone was dead . Looks mean though and also somewhat stripped for track use only.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #100
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Flyer View Post
The Z/28 struggles to sell for the same reason the ZL1, 1LE, SS, etc, continue to struggle - Camaro SIX is hitting dealers soon, if not already. There is precedent for this - it's called every outgoing generation in history.

I haven't heard a single Z/28 owner express any grievances about the car. Unless being too awesome is a grievance.

Further, I, for one, hope they don't make another Z/28 for a long time - it will make our cars all the more desirable.

I think Crushinator is more than generous saying you seem intelligent. I completely disagree...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^^
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #101
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
The problem is, in anyone's opinion that owns a Z/28, GM didn't mess up anything. Why can't you understand that? We own this car for more than one reason. Not because it a great track car. Because to US, it does everything a car should. To hell with what people like you think it should have. This car to me and everyone that owns one, is way more appealing than a ZL1, GT500, SS, whatever. What is so difficult about that for you, and guys like you, to understand? This is why guys like me, say your opinion HERE doesn't mean squat. Your an SS guy. Stick with it. It works for you...but not for us. I for one am glad this car only appeals to a certain group of drivers. People like you will NEVER understand.

Listen, you're not going to convince anyone here that your theories are right and we're all wrong. It ain't gonna happen. So, please, for the love of God, stop trying.

And this^^
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #102
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
The reality of all this, Before the Motor Trend review on cars.com there were 9 used 14-15 Z/28's for sale. Today there are 81. The world has moved on.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #103
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Guy View Post
Yes I did.

VIDEO: The video how ever has a ton of editing. If you notice when watching the GT350r its raining out side and the wipers are on, but when the video goes out side the Mustang its not raining its then sunny. The 1/4 mile z/28 is not adding up as well considering stock z/28's are running more than 116 mph in the 1/4 mile.

I owned a 2014 z/28. My observations were the following.
Cons:
Interior plastic every where.

Brake burnishing per factory is WRONG. Hence I did it wrong, and never got the bite most drivers on line talk about.

Heads for the LS7 are still failing, GM never fixed, class action suit still going on.

Over heats on track. Parts to fix are well needed up grades like an up graded power steering cooler, Ron Davis Radiator and oil cooler.

Blind spots

Seats sit to low in the a55 area.

Stereo sucks

No music from blue tooth with app on phone Pandora or Spotify

Pro's:

Shifting: is like butter, love the trans and shifter!!

Handling: is like nothing I have ever driven, sticks like glue and easy to drive fast.

Parts: Aftermarket parts available and on the shelf from headers to heads and great ideas here on the forum that work

LS7 Motor: Yes I know about the heads, but the fix is easy with WCC heads and your done. Its one hell of a motor once the heads are done

Body style - I always wanted a 1969 like every one. So this is old school but modern.

Price New - On ebay new for $54,000

In closing, the z/28 is a steel and with some time and mods for about $8.500 dollars give or take it has proven to be some thing to be reckoned with on the track and in the canyons.

On to the Mustang GT350r

So for months my race friends have been sending content, video's, articles and so on. Hell I even went to the LA Auto show to check out the GT350r this past Friday November 27, 2015. The interior is a vary attractive part of the GT350r over the z/28. I really liked the interior. The body was just like any other Mustang of that year, and the wheels; all though carbon fiber just don't do much for the GT350r as far as looks. I like the wheels on the z/28.

I have never driven a GT350r so I can't comment on how it drives.

BUT what is the pint, we cant even drive one. The ford dealer is marking up the GT350r $60,000 over sticker. I know this because I talked with the sales maneger at Galpin Ford in LA, CA. They we alocated 7 GT350r's and all sold for $60,000 over sticker. So in the end all this hype, content, videos, and tones of web based info to drive up views and YOU CANT EVEN BUY ONE because every one of them is spoken for ??????????????????????? Really?????????????????????????

What the hell is the point? Well it's simple. here is your choices.

Camaro z/28 for $54,000 new, add heads, cam, AR headers, tune, Ron Davis radiator, power steering cooler, oil cooler, and abad ass alignment for less than $8500

Or

Mustang GT350r for $66,300 plus dealer mark up of $60,000 for a grand total not including tax for a whopping $126,300.00

Zero supporting mods from shops, an all new motor and zero feed back on reliability. Will the GT350r over heat on the track like the C7 z06? We dont know yet because we have zero quantifiable data.

My choice is a z/28 all day long, and I can deal with the mods that need to be done and the con's I listed.

If the GT350r was MSRP, well I would buy one just to see if I would fall in love, and if I did I would keep it and enjoy. But the reality is misleading with the media and price and for $126,300.00 you can keep it

Sorry for some spelling.

Chris -
Interesting first of all that you had a GTR and found the Z28 to be easy to drive like nothing else, I thought you would have credited the GTR for that. Second does the Z28 with electric assist really have steering issues. I put redline power steering fluid in my car and that helped greatly and my car was before electric assist was introduced to our gen 5s. Also I read elsewhere that the GT350 has overheating issues and that's scary for a track bred car. I also feel that 5.2L power plant isn't going to take to well to aftermarket force induction reliability wise.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #104
SlowMoe

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansibe View Post
Hi guys,
I'm new to Camaros, having just bought a z28 - "zed" 28 in Canada!

Firstly I thought the video was great, very entertaining at a small cost of some goofiness. Screw the stereotypes, the flag drop was awesome! I'm glad MT still knows how to have fun.

I haven't raced cars, but I did race bikes and I think 1.1 seconds is quite a lot. I honestly don't think there's that much in a 2minute lap between these cars. The cars have equal peak power, but when you're accelerating off a corner you're almost never at the peak. The z28 should have a small advantage I think. When new, I think the Trofeos should equal the PSC2 for grip.

I can't believe there's much between these tires, but I think that's the difference. MT ran their long term z28 against a GT3 a while back, and the zed got crushed! No surprise, the GT3 has about the same power, weighs 500lbs less, and costs 3x as much. Interestingly, Probst says the z28 is uncharacteristically twitchy, and speculates the tires are done. I wonder if this comparo was done with the same car ...

I'm not a fan of 'track tires'. If you're racing, then fine, get a set. But I'm not. This type of tire is very temperature sensitive, and after they've heat cycled a few times they get hard and slippery. When my Trofeos are worn out, they'll be replaced by a set of PS Cup 2s, or maybe even PSS. For those of you who haven't tried PSS, they're a treat! Amazing grip, ok in the rain, and last forever (relative of course).
You probably haven't seen this but after the head to head against the GT3 and Randy's complaints about the long term car feeling lose, they installed the wicker bill and did a retest.....read about it here (Spoiler the wicker took off 1.32 seconds per lap) Down force is a huge thing, look at that wing on the ACR and its lap crushing ability. Hardcore track guys need that wicker bill, even the R has a substantially larger wing than the non R.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2015-...-track-retest/

as far as the 1.2 sec lap time difference I am sure the gt350r is faster it had to be, the z28 was the bench mark. I also don't think the had a new set of trofeos on the z but instead probably a set that was much due for a change considering the last time they were probably swapped out was way back when they did the retest. The 315 Michelin Cup 2 tires, more negative camber and carbon fiber wheels at (correct me if I am wrong) 18 lbs each probably have a bit to do with that 1.2 sec difference as well. I tried to pay attention to cornering speeds and sometimes it seemed like the z/28 may have been doing slightly better there but the gt350r was pulling harder on the straights and out of the corners. I find that to be a little surprising but maybe that's the flat plane crank doing what it does best.

As far as the quarter mile is concerned neither of these cars are built for that but the trofoes are not good for the job considering motortrend did a swap of the 1le's tires and the z/28 and the z/28s 0-60 and 1/4 mile improved slightly

http://www.motortrend.com/news/on-ch...-make-the-car/

The gt350r sure did seem to jump out of the hole a little harder and that sky high redline helped open up that advantage and hold it down the track.

Its hard to fault the trofeos because the are part of why the z/28 is so good so ill lose in the quarter mile with those any day to have their performance on a racetrack (hell they were good for 2 seconds on a P1 in chris Harris's hyper car comparison) but I really do wonder how fresh they were for this comparison.

At the end of the day both the gt350r and z28 are amazing cars the whole reason I have a z/28 today is because I wanted to buy a gt350r, after test driving a Z and falling in love with it along with the fact that getting a gt350r without paying an extra 30K or more over msrp plus the deep discounts to be had on the out going Z it made my decision easy. Plus I am not one to leave my car stock for long and seeing what can be done without going crazy to the LS7 if I decided the z/28 isn't at some point I sure ill be able to remedy that.

Hell Id love to have both in my garage one day......we live in good times as far as being a car enthusiast goes.
SlowMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:19 PM   #105
Dtowndog420

Drives: SBM 09 G8 GT/RH 15 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I was glad to finally see the results but that guy is super annoying to watch. Ford did a great job responding to the Z/28 and they deserve the accolades. Team Camaro will respond accordingly.
I hate that dude!!! What happen to Carlos?
Dtowndog420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #106
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtowndog420 View Post
I hate that dude!!! What happen to Carlos?
Moved on to Edmunds.com
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #107
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I wonder if the back seat could be added back in to the GT350r? That alone would push me to the Z/28 if I was looking for that type of car.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:31 PM   #108
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I wonder if the back seat could be added back in to the GT350r?
That's my plan exactly.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #109
SlowMoe

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I wonder if the back seat could be added back in to the GT350r? That alone would push me to the Z/28 if I was looking for that type of car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
That's my plan exactly.
The GT350R with the tech package adds the Nav, AC, Floormats, rear seat, stereo and tire inflator back into the car I believe.
SlowMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #110
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMoe View Post
The GT350R with the tech package adds the Nav, AC, Floormats, rear seat, stereo and tire inflator back into the car I believe.
Hmm. I wasn't aware of the back seat being back on car with that option.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:10 PM   #111
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Hmm. I wasn't aware of the back seat being back on car with that option.
I wasn't either. If I wasn't hell bent on seeing what GM is going to do with the gen6 car, I would be all over this car in that case.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #112
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
The fact that the GT350R slightly one-upped the performance of the Z/28 doesn't surprise me. The only thing I'd like to know is if you guys think Chevy will release a Gen 6 Z/28 in response which then one-ups the GT350R? While the performance of the 14/15 Z/28 is undeniably awesome, it's sales performance is pretty awful given the firesale going on now. I believe the car's fantastic press elevated the whole Camaro line and so even if the Z/28 didn't do as well as Cheverolet wanted, perhaps it's impact on the Camaro line was worth it serving as a bit of a loss-leader.

So will there be a new Z/28? And if so, when?
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote