Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Tucsonas

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Black on Black
All you procharged 1le's

Looking for honest feedback from the guys who are procharged, I have a 1LE, love it, but had a 5th gen that I always wanted to mod but just never did. Wondering what you guys that have done it think about it, install looks easy enough, no real need other than a desire to increase horsepower, more importantly something I can do myself. I know I'll need a tune, but does will the canned tune be good for awhile? I am happy with the car, have tracked it once and will again. Not looking for a sales pitch just honest feedback from guys who have been there, done that, don't want to take the hit to sell it and buy a zl1....
Tucsonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
I used to have a GTO, I had it for 8 years and 120k miles. Putting boost on my car at year 5 was the most expensive car choice I ever made (motor/trans/rear diff all needed replacement), ultimately made me unhappy with the car and resulted in its sale.

If you do choose to boost your car, be realistic about your goal. Unless you plan on spending 10k on a forged motor don't go for max effort anything. Leave a large margin of mechanical safety limit and don't let people with more power push you to get more aswell.
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The 1LE should handle the boost pretty well on the drivetrain side since most of the drivetrain comes from the ZL1.

Motor is the only weak link, as said if you have them tune it for good power with a good reliable safety margin then you should be fine.

I am having B&R Performance (Fireball) install a D-1SC w/ meth on mine in about 2 months.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Tucsonas

The plan is to stay around 600 rwhp i think im good in fuel for that amount, thinking about stage 2 intercooler, and I think it is the p1sc, the one thing I want is a real nice whine, thinking about the straight race valve add on,

Anyone have any idea how loud of a whine that will produce? I want it loud enough so everyone knows it's not stock, but not so much it bugs me driving around. This isn't my daily so not worried about putting a ton of miles on it, have 8900 miles on it, after 1 year, not going to rush into it, and will research it to death first.. haha
Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
Tucsonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
The 1LE should handle the boost pretty well on the drivetrain side since most of the drivetrain comes from the ZL1.

Motor is the only weak link, as said if you have them tune it for good power with a good reliable safety margin then you should be fine.

I am having B&R Performance (Fireball) install a D-1SC w/ meth on mine in about 2 months.

What is the price range for fireball to do that?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Do a search online for procharger with a waste gate.
I think it was in an old GM High Tech Performance article where they took a procharged 5th gen Camaro, swapped to a larger blower and added a waste gate. They made a ton more power and torque just by changing when and how the boost came on.
Really interesting, always wanted to do a set-up like they had to get low rpm torque out of a procharged car.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
Printman

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Shouldn't be any different than the ss guys with pro chargers since they share the exact same motor so maybe search there. The thing that will make the pro charger shine on the 1LE for track use is the tune. For track use you want a very linear power curve. You don't want it to hit all the sudden, fun for street but devastating on the track.
Printman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasbagoat View Post
I used to have a GTO, I had it for 8 years and 120k miles. Putting boost on my car at year 5 was the most expensive car choice I ever made (motor/trans/rear diff all needed replacement), ultimately made me unhappy with the car and resulted in its sale.

If you do choose to boost your car, be realistic about your goal. Unless you plan on spending 10k on a forged motor don't go for max effort anything. Leave a large margin of mechanical safety limit and don't let people with more power push you to get more aswell.
Same thing happened with me and my 2011 camaro. I dumped it 6 months after the supercharger install. I was quoted 15K for a forged motor.

By the time its all said and done you can get a ZL1 1LE thats more reliable for a little more money. Atleast thats the route i am taking.

If you can not install and tune it all yourself you are at the mercy of a shop who may or may not treat you right.

Sorry to be negative but I did not have a good experience modding my last car.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Did very minor research Can't you get an LT4 crate for about $14K? Not that this is chump changeby any stretch. My neighbors zL1 1 LE sounds like a herd of cats doing the nasty Then you've got a warranty. Pulley and belt likely put down another 100. Not certain if our need a tune. I just poked around at it out of curiosity. FWIW.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #10
Tucsonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printman View Post
Shouldn't be any different than the ss guys with pro chargers since they share the exact same motor so maybe search there. The thing that will make the pro charger shine on the 1LE for track use is the tune. For track use you want a very linear power curve. You don't want it to hit all the sudden, fun for street but devastating on the track.
very good points, that will be part of my research I am not going to rush into this by any means, from the research I have done, the motor should be OK up to the power levels I was hoping for,
Old 02-14-2018, 01:16 AM   #11
Tucsonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE View Post
Did very minor research Can't you get an LT4 crate for about $14K? Not that this is chump changeby any stretch. My neighbors zL1 1 LE sounds like a herd of cats doing the nasty Then you've got a warranty. Pulley and belt likely put down another 100. Not certain if our need a tune. I just poked around at it out of curiosity. FWIW.
A procharger would run less then 7k, and I can install it myself, the tune is what I am concerned about, I'm not even sure what a tune would cost..
Old 02-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #12
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonas View Post
A procharger would run less then 7k, and I can install it myself, the tune is what I am concerned about, I'm not even sure what a tune would cost..
I do know a dyno tune is your best bet. They start roughly at 500 bucks.
That would be after you get the procharger installed and towed/trailered to a shop.

There are also vendors on this forum and all over the USA who can sell you what you need and provide a mail order tune.

I do not know about pro charger but magnuson super chargers come with a tune provided your car is still all stock.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #13
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonas View Post
Totally respect it is NOT. Easy.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #14
Tucsonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE View Post
Totally respect it is NOT. Easy.

Agree, didn't mean to imply it is easy, I will research the hell put of it before hand, I the install looks straight forward, but with everything I'm sure the maintenance afterwards, and getting the right tune is make or break. At the end of the day I may never do it, just researching and seeing what those with first hand experience have to say after the fact.