Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Unsterblich

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS convertible
Electric exhaust cutouts

Has anyone installed the electrical exhaust cutouts on a camaro? I know it would sound cool, but I'm curious about performance or any issues?
Unsterblich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
camrytt

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I want to know about the best, cheapest ones out there.

Current: 2017 ZL1 A10
previous: 2019 1SS A10
previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
QTP is probably the cheapest you're gonna get. As with anything mechanical, the motors in them will probably go out after a few years. Everyone seems to love them. You can get the higher end ones from Noweeds which are probably better quality. Only heard good things about both. A google search will net you some results for threads on here if you include Camaro5 after the search.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports

Last edited by Gunmetal Speedster; 06-20-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Spike III Build 2011 IBM 1SS/RS [COTW 6/25/12]

QTP cut outs.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
camrytt

Is that after the h pipe location? I want something like right after the long tubes lol. Looks great though nice quality

previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You can't tell that is before any H or X pipe???? Those look mounted perfectly to me!

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
Gunmetal Speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrytt View Post
Is that after the h pipe location? I want something like right after the long tubes lol. Looks great though nice quality
If you look at his second picture, the H pipe is at the very top of the screen lol his are mounted right after the headers. Beautiful set up, I want to do this as well.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Old 06-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #8
Scungi
2011 2SS m6 LS3

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss Ls3
Where did you put the switch on the inside of the car
Scungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
camrytt

Yea I really couldn't tell if that was right before or right after /shrug

Old 06-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #10
camrytt

Anyway that's the exact set up i was looking to do, bet it sounds ridiculous.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #11
StevenBateman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
This may sound like a dumb question but how does this affect the exhaust note of an aftermarket exhaust?
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

StevenBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #12
Blazer098

Drives: 2015 Summit White SS
I have no weeds on my car. They are the highest quality cutout available. QTP is a good budget choice, but I wasn't ready to have a gear go out on mine and have them stuck open. The no weeds are also a diverter instead of a cutout so instead of creating a large exhaust leak they close off the rest of the exhaust and open the exhaust up completely.
Name:  DSCN0060_1024x1024.jpg
Views: 6673
Size:  166.1 KB
Old 06-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #13
Gunmetal Speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenBateman View Post
This may sound like a dumb question but how does this affect the exhaust note of an aftermarket exhaust?
The note you are used to hearing is after the exhaust has made its way all through the exhaust and comes out the back. The exhaust manufacture, well most, aim for a particular sound when developing a system. So they have to do certain things to the pipe to get the tone higher/lower and louder/quiter etc. Picture cutting pieces of your exhaust off starting from the back and working your way towards the engine. The further you continue to cut, the louder the car is going to get as well as the tone deeper. An exhaust cut off at the mufflers would be louder than one that went all the way to the tips. One cut off at the cats (essentially what cutouts are if you place them like he has) it will be even louder. Take the headers off the car and just let the engine run without them and it would be crazy loud. The longer the exhaust, the more dampened the sound gets.

By having the cutouts placed right behind the headers after the cats, you flip the switch and it's like you just took the the exhaust off because the sound is exiting there instead of at the back of the car. Most of the time cutouts have turn down pipes as well which bounce the sound off of the ground making it seem louder due to the echo and you'll feel the vibrations more.

Watch this to tell the difference in sound that it makes:

Please note that your airbags will not deploy with this mod. Nick's car is gutted and makes the vibration way worse because he has no sound deadening.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #14
StevenBateman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
The note you are used to hearing is after the exhaust has made its way all through the exhaust and comes out the back. The exhaust manufacture, well most, aim for a particular sound when developing a system. So they have to do certain things to the pipe to get the tone higher/lower and louder/quiter etc. Picture cutting pieces of your exhaust off starting from the back and working your way towards the engine. The further you continue to cut, the louder the car is going to get as well as the tone deeper. An exhaust cut off at the mufflers would be louder than one that went all the way to the tips. One cut off at the cats (essentially what cutouts are if you place them like he has) it will be even louder. Take the headers off the car and just let the engine run without them and it would be crazy loud. The longer the exhaust, the more dampened the sound gets.

By having the cutouts placed right behind the headers after the cats, you flip the switch and it's like you just took the the exhaust off because the sound is exiting there instead of at the back of the car. Most of the time cutouts have turn down pipes as well which bounce the sound off of the ground making it seem louder due to the echo and you'll feel the vibrations more.

Watch this to tell the difference in sound that it makes:

Please note that your airbags will not deploy with this mod. Nick's car is gutted and makes the vibration way worse because he has no sound deadening.
I was thinking of getting these. I just didn't wanna get them and then the borla exhaust I have be pretty much useless because my car right now is pretty damn loud! I see you squeezed a little more power to hit that 500 very nice! Ah and yes I remember watching that video! His car is wicked loud
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

StevenBateman is offline   Reply With Quote