Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
SubZeroo

Drives: 2015 1LE
Racing Harness

Does anyone have it without the roll cage just for looks? if so where can I get it and how much and please show pics

I would really like to add them just for looks.
SubZeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Without a harness bar or roll cage there is no safe way to mount the shoulder straps. They should have a down angle of 5* and no more than 10*. Mounted to the floor or other such methods can cause severe spinal injuries.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
SubZeroo

Drives: 2015 1LE
It's just for looks I will not be racing I don't wear seats belts as it stands now so it will be for looks lol
SubZeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
here is your best bet,,, this is what I have ,,, quality of this outstanding !

http://www.bkauto.com/R_1150_Harness...r_p/r-1150.htm
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Seat belts are a standard part of my routine. They are buckled for me and all passengers in every vehicle I drive---before the vehicle is put in gear. It's a personal choice, but years of flying military aircraft ingrained it into my psyche! There are too many uncontrollable factors out there on the highways; I want things I can control working for me.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
if you don't wear the seatbelt, just buy this

OR JUST DUCT TAPE TO BACK OF SEAT!
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post

I second that! If you're just doing HPDE's or autocross, this harness bar is the best out there. Easy install, great quality.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #8
JusticePete

Use the BK and harness to hold you in place to drive faster. Wear the OEM belt over or under it for safety. In a severe impact, I have seen this very stout, very well made BK bend with a large driver and seat mounted on the factory tracks.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #9
Blazer098

Drives: 2015 Summit White SS
I use a schroth rallye 3 asm. It bolts into the rear seatbelt bolt and is at a safe degree behind the seat. A harness bar with a 4 point is likely more safe however I can take a picture later of my 3 point so you can see how it works.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #10
StevenBateman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post

How come this one is so expensive compared to Cipher Auto's harness bar which costs 230?
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

StevenBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer098 View Post
I use a schroth rallye 3 asm. It bolts into the rear seatbelt bolt and is at a safe degree behind the seat. A harness bar with a 4 point is likely more safe however I can take a picture later of my 3 point so you can see how it works.
I have seen them.

FIA run with a 40 degree down angle. The new batch of Miatas being raced have the 40 degree down angle. The company that builds the cars had major issues with the belt manufactures. The belt manufacturers insist the down angle be no more than 10 degrees and prefer 5 degrees.

The Scroth belt you are using has an even higher down angle. I have read through their materials and don't understand how they come to the conclussion the belt design is appropriate. SCCA, NASA, NASCAR, IMSA, Trans Am all adhere to the 50m to 10 degree range for shoulder strap down angle.

I have not tested belts and may be completely wrong in my thinking, but these are my thoughts. The reason for the down angle specification is to avoid crushing the spine during impact. As the body moves forward against the should straps, a relatively straight (no more than 10 degrees of down angle) should strap has relatively straight forces being transferred to the torso. If the belt is fastened to a location as low as the seat bottom, as the torso is thrown forward, the shoulder straps pull down creating the forces required to crush the spine.

My number one priority as a car builder is not to build a fast car. Priority #1 is driver safety. All decisions are based on driver safety first last and always. With that as the #1 priority, I am going with the most conservative installation of a harness bar, cage and harness. We go no lower than 7.5 degrees. If i am wrong and 40 degrees is safe, I haven't hurt anyone. If I go with 40 degrees or more and some one gets hurt...

In sshort, I am not saying your belt installation is not safe. I am saying I wouldn't use one or install one. I also know that opinions are like axx holes and everyone has one. Mine is no better or worse than most.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #12
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenBateman View Post
How come this one is so expensive compared to Cipher Auto's harness bar which costs 230?
Look at the design of the bars. Count the supports. What direction are the supports facing? Is there any triangulation? Think about where the load is when a car suddenly decelerates and the bar must hold the weight of the driver and possibly the seat. Which bar will distribute the load is the safest way?
Old 06-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #13
StevenBateman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Look at the design of the bars. Count the supports. What direction are the supports facing? Is there any triangulation? Think about where the load is when a car suddenly decelerates and the bar must hold the weight of the driver and possibly the seat. Which bar will distribute the load is the safest way?
You're asking too many questions instead of answering mine! Seriously though I'm actually curious because this has been a thought for a future modification.
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

StevenBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #14
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenBateman View Post
You're asking too many questions instead of answering mine! Seriously though I'm actually curious because this has been a thought for a future modification.
In my option, and we already discussed what those are worth including mine, the BK is a clearly superior design and well worth the extra cost.