The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

View Poll Results: Is there to much censorship on C5
Yes 51 43.22%
NO 67 56.78%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #29
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
It's mostly the "sensitive" members who like to the press the "Report Post" icon that you have to worry about. Like someone said, you get dinged for stuff you say but see others freely getting away with it. Having said that, for the most part, the mods are doing a good job, they have a life too and babysitting us can be a pickle sometimes.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #30
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
So why when I e-mail you 3 times, you wouldn't respond???
I apologze.

I do my best to get to e-mails/moderate, but I DO have other things going on.

I may be wrong, but if this was in reference to a detailing question, I believe I may have responded. If not, my mistake...it is sometimes difficult to keep track.

So, if there is still something you want to discuss, let me know.

PM me, e-mail (ejb3ss@aol.com).

Ed
Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #31
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Wait a minute. How do you know he did not get a warning? There are times it may seem the axe comes down pretty swiftly, BUT this is their site and if anyone does not like it they can move on. This site is priceless for what it provides. I mean you can find anything you want about your Camaro right here.
I agree 100%. For the most part this is the only site I visit anymore, call it censorship, claim bias to some and long leashes to others or whatever you want if you don't like how they run it just move on! BTW I have been reprimanded for comments I've made and you know what they were justified in their response, lesson learned and I enjoy the site more than ever. This of course is just MHO
Old 03-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #32
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I'd like to "step in" here and offer my thoughts;

First, we're all adults here. If you're posting a comment, and have the slightest concern over the content of your post, chances are, it may get a response for a moderator. I feel 100% confident is saying that NONE of the moderators take any action without careful consideration. And it is NOT personal. We do our best to keep C5 one of the better sites by keeping a tight lid on the "internet BS" that occurs many places.

Second, I believe we're all (the moderators) available via e-mail. So if anyone feels the actions taken by a moderator are excessive, communicating and discussing it goes a long way in understanding why certain actions occur.

Third, I agree. Having an area "where everything goes" can be/is fun. But C5's primary focus is the Camaro, and the Camaro community. I believe the moderators time is better spent providing direction, and keeping the focus on the Camaro, versus having to delete posts, be the peace maker, etc., which may happen where "anything goes".

Finally, I believe the majority of members on C5 is a good group. The fighting, name calling, etc., seems to be less prevalent here than elsewhere. And I believe a BIG reason for that, is due to my fellow moderators. Believe me when I say, none of them take any action unless it's discussed, and no action is taken lightly. They go out of their way to be fair.

It's really simple; If you have any concern over a post, before hitting the SUBMIT button, ask yourself if you really want to post your comment. And as always, the moderators are here for YOU....ask any of us, and we'll be more than happy to discuss anything with any of you.

Thanks for your time
Ed
I agree mods do some good stuff. But a forum where all goes would benefit all. Charge 5 bucks membership for a year make some money for C5 and it will act as verification for 18+. Certain rules still apply such as outlandish language, obsessive attacks, and racial topics. But all pics go and topics aside that. This would allow people to maybe vent and keep The crap as some say in a certain area. maybe less work for mods

Ive just seen way to many post deleted of other and mine as well. Ive also seen my wording changed. What gets me and what got me my last ban was the fact that you can only post pics of C5 girls with cars and no other girl was allowed. I understand were trying to maintain a certain atmosphere and what not but at least make it fair because there definitely is different rules for different people in here
Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #33
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I have been on here for almost three years now. It is a privately owned and managed website. The Owners and Moderators do a pretty good job of keeping this site civil and family oriented. If you don't understandthat that, then sorry, with all due respect, you are certainly free to participate in a forum which may be better suited to what you wish to do.

When one comes on here, read the Site Guidelines. They are pretty clear about what is appropriate behavior.

Regardless, this is somewhat of a private enterprise.... Not a free wheeling, unsupervised site where anything goes.

As far as I am concerned, HATS OFF TO THE C5 Team!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #34
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
I think they do a good job and it seems to be unbiased from what I've seen. I've been on these boards for a while and you always get friends of the program who have more rights than others and use it to their personal advantage. Those sites also edit vendor failures as the vendor is the only way the site makes money so they protect their interests. ls1tech is infamous for this. It's a money maker and nothing more, they do edit any post where a vendor is made to look bad and the hundreds of failed heads and engines don't ever get seen... there is no integrity to the site at all.

I don't feel that way about C5. I think they keep a tight lid on the BS and I like that. I feel like there is honesty and integrity here, when the mods do step in, from what I've seen, is because things got personal and offensive, not because a vendor screwed the pooch and was called out for it. There is a big difference.. huge difference and I applaud C5 for it. I sponsor 5 other boards and this and corvette forum are the two best, its not even close.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #35
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
And no, I do not think there is too much censorship here on C5. Pretty good group of mods and they seem to keep the civility at an even keel. I have seen a few threads locked or deleted that were on the edge of offensive - maybe they receive complaints that we do not see - who knows. But for the most part, if the attitude is not completely outlandish, the posts are left alone. Take for instance a recent post this week where a member pointed out that another member was indeed still driving a F*RD product. There was some good humored profanity used in some of the posts and that thread was not modded.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #36
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I am in the business of selling tin foil hats, apparently a quite a few of you need them...

If you get a warning, how in the world do you know if I got one or not? You have no idea...This is one of the cleanest forums I have ever been apart of because of the moderators..I come here to talk about improving or fixing my Camaro. I don't want to filter through the garbage some of us would post without the moderate to keep it under control.

There are NUMEROUS free forums were you can post pictures of women (or men), games, sports and so on unfilter. I know because I have been on those as well, and I don't go there as an educational outlet like I do here. I bet many of you could find a camaro or racing webpage that allows you to talk about racing or political views and no one would stop you....

If your goal is to come on here and rant about a supplier or product no one is going to stop you...no one. It is when you go absolutely ape nanners crazy spitting off a storm. I have watched CIVIL threads grow from someone that said "hey, my headers from this company don't fit, or are not what I ordered". Instead of going through the process of contacting a reputable company such as ARH or Kooks requesting a refund or exchange (which I have personally seen them do), some guys come on here blazing the company and their quality which is absolutely misguided.

It seems about 99% of the "warning" or post removals are based on OTHER MEMBERS complaining or pointing them out. If you offend someone, it need to be removed. I have heard a couple members say they have the right to say what they want? This not an outlet for freedom of speech...if you think you have the right to say anything you want on a PRIVATE / members only webpage, I suggest you educate yourself on what the limitations of speech are...
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #37
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
I pOOp on censorship.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #38
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post

Heck, I think the MODS could do more to ban the obvious trolls here.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #39
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
He said p**p!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #40
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I am a moderator at a rather large internet community. I can tell you from my experience that moderating is a thankless job that one usually volunteers to do. Moderators are usually picked because the site admin feels they have good common sense. Not all moderators have the same feel for whether something is appropriate or not. What one mod feels is ok, another may ban for. It happens. Moderators do their best to keep the site civil, fun, and educational for most users. They will never make everyone happy, but that is the way it works on all sites where the mods are actually doing their jobs.

I, for one, feel the moderators on this site do an exemplary job. As a woman, some male-dominated sites are no fun for me to participate in. (I'm not a prude, but I do take offense to women-bashing.) This site makes me feel like a valued member.

Keep up the good work, C5 mods. I applaud Tran for his selection of the moderating team here.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #41
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by White-2-SS View Post
God for bid you make a negative remark about a place and the shotty work they do such as ARD. They nuked my post for that. I have seen so many people make remarks about shops doing bad work and nothing happend why?
All Camaro 5 members are equal. Some are more equal than others.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #42
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
First off thanks to everyone for posting here. The compliments are truly appreciated.

The criticism is also valuable to us even though we may not like it.

Having said that, there are no plans to charge members and a free for all never stays contained in the free for all thread. We tried that with a politics/religion thread and it caused more problems out side of that section then we could manage. We were banning, editing, and deleting left and right...

IMO it ruined the site for a while and took us months to clean this place up.

The hardest thing for moderators to do is accept that we can't possibly make 40K members all happy... This site just can't be all things to all people. So we stick to the guidance that the owners give us and do our best to keep the site in that realm...

Do we have favorites.. absolutely... Do I wish I could go around and post my true feelings on certain vendors, both those I like and those I dislike... you bet. But I can't. Do I wish I cold go off on some people... Yes, yes, I do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
Well I don't get warned but I have had post just disappear without any explanations. I had one disappear because I mentioned a former car dealer sponsor name here that I didn't know had been banned here. I guess once they ban someone you better never mention that person's name either or else.

And later I found some of the e-mails they sent to this ex-sponsor and his employer and I was shocked they would go that far. Kinda made me lose respect for them.

BUTTTTTTTT for the most part they let alotttttttttttttttttt go. Just saying. I've called people assholes many times and just get the we deleted your post for name calling. LOL so yeah they are fair, but I also don't act like a constant a-hole here and those are the one's they keep a tighter leash on.
ssump29,

You have touched on the one thing I hate about being a moderator here.

This is not directed at you but you are shedding light on the worst part of our role as a moderator.

I HATE the fact that I can't defend our actions here. We have a rule that whatever happens between us and a banned member or sponsor we may not discuss it publicly... So, our side of the story is never told. And we are bashed and trashed by the person we banned and we just have to sit here and take it.... I can't begin to tell you how much that sucks... I actually contemplated starting a web site where I would post the history of every email, PM and post of those people who flamed us for holding them accountable to the rules of this site.... Not that I actually would do that but you can imagine how difficult it is to just keep quiet.....

Other than the obvious troll we don't air out other's dirty laundry...

Even when we are perfectly justified, out of professional respect for members and vendors, we have nothing to gain by blasting those we don't get along with...

Sorry for the rant... but being a mod is not really all fun and games.

FWIW.

Chris

Closed Thread