Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
The Captain

Drives: No Car
Anyone sell their Camaro to CARMAX ??

I'm selling my Camaro and would appreciate any information of anyone that sold a car to CARMAX. What was your experience selling to them ??
Do they offer better than a Chevrolet dealer ??
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
They will pretty much buy any car, their offer is going to be what they feel allows them to maximize profit. There are dealers who advertise beating a CarMax offer by a few hundred or so, see if any of the dealers in your area offer that. Of course, you don't have to accept CarMax's offer, so it doesn't hurt to go and see what they will offer.

As for my experience, went in, was there about an hour or so they took the car, gave it a test drive and looked over a few things, made an offer.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Their offer will be a lowball offer for sure, I highly recommend just going to a Chevy dealer or private party.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I don't know if your car is modified or not but they don't take modified cars and they will more than likely give you a low ball offer. A dealership would be better.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
I got an offer from Carmax once trying to get a diminished value offer for my car. Their offer was super low ball - almost an insult even for a car that had just been wrecked and very well repaired to gm specks.

As well the offer was not even considered by the insurance companies.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Sell privately you will do much better than trading. I never trade or sell to a dealer.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
Dan's Fun Car

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
I have actually had decent luck with Carmax, both for work and personal.

I had a 2015 F250 I bought brand new and only had 2600 miles on it. I decided to unload it for my Camaro and went do the Ford dealer and they offered $41,000. I took it to Carmax and they offered $42,000. I then went with the credit union I was financed through and they were able to get $43,000.

In regards to a specialty car like a 1LE, it doesn't hurt to go in and get a written offer from Caramax that's good for 7 days and then go shop around at other places to see what they offer. More knowledge is always go.
Dan's Fun Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Private sales...some go well, others don't. All sorts of turkeys can turn up looking to "buy" your car.

I have sold some beaters, and had to fend off some real losers, but I'm not sure I would want all the boy racers showing up to "test drive" a Camaro.

If and when I decide to move to a Gen 6, I think it's going to be a trade of CARMAX.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I sold my previous Camaro to Carmax and a few other cars as well. They gave me better than the dealers offered and they were close to what private party listings were at. I've sold cars as a private party too in the past and you can make more, but you have to cover your bases. Had one buyer never register the vehicle and lawyers came after me when he was in a hit and run. I had enough documentation to prove I sold it and they they left me alone luckily. Get an offer from Carmax then shop around. If you plan on buying a vehicle from somewhere else then also take into consideration the tax saving when trading in. You can use the Carmax offer as leverage at the dealer you trade in at.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I took a previous car to carmax to check out their offer. They were about 10% higher than the local Chevy dealer. However, net of taxes using the car for trade in, it was better to trade at the dealership.

Long story short, get a quote from both and see which is best. What do you have to lose?
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #11
Blazer098

Drives: 2015 Summit White SS
When I went to sell my 2013 1LS about two years ago I was offered 13k from the dealer and 15k from carmax. Decided to go with Carmax and avoid the headache of trying to sell privately.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:51 AM   #12
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I've found it best NOT to tell the dealer in advance you are trading. Find the best price you can on the new car. Get the price down as low as possible by shopping around and on internet.

CARMAX does provide a written offer. I got offers from: Auctions Direct, a used car dealer, and CARMAX to get a wider spectrum of offers for the Camaro I was selling. I then called two Chevy dealers on the phone and asked if they would make offers.
The CARMAX offer was the highest.

Negotiated with the dealer about the 20% off MSRP Chevy promo price, special incentives, and GM Card Points. Only after I was settled on the purchase price of my new Camaro did I mention that I wanted to do a trade-in. CARMAX turned out to be the highest offer so I asked the dealer if they would match Carmax ... the dealer did agree to match.
In NC the sales tax is calculated on the purchase price after subtracting out the car trade in value, so that saved additional money using that technique of trade-in at the dealer (~$500 saved in taxes there).
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #13
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
I've found it best NOT to tell the dealer in advance you are trading. Find the best price you can on the new car. Get the price down as low as possible by shopping around and on internet.

CARMAX does provide a written offer. I got offers from: Auctions Direct, a used car dealer, and CARMAX to get a wider spectrum of offers for the Camaro I was selling. I then called two Chevy dealers on the phone and asked if they would make offers.
The CARMAX offer was the highest.

Negotiated with the dealer about the 20% off MSRP Chevy promo price, special incentives, and GM Card Points. Only after I was settled on the purchase price of my new Camaro did I mention that I wanted to do a trade-in. CARMAX turned out to be the highest offer so I asked the dealer if they would match Carmax ... the dealer did agree to match.
In NC the sales tax is calculated on the purchase price after subtracting out the car trade in value, so that saved additional money using that technique of trade-in at the dealer (~$500 saved in taxes there).
Completely agree ... when I have used trade-ins in the past I've never told them that I was using one or that I'm paying cash until I've negotiated the deal. Once the price is agreed upon, I let them know I'm paying cash, will be trading in my vehicle and how much I want for it (based on research). If they don't come within a couple hundred of what I'm asking for the trade-in or try to renegotiate the price of the new vehicle, I tell them the deal is off and will go somewhere else. This method has worked for me every time ... have never paid any where near or above MSRP.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #14
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Carmax has a little advantage over the typical dealer in that they are a large national chain. The buy the car with the intent on selling it, and it goes into a national inventory. People search for a specific car, color, options, and Carmax will find it in their inventory and ship it to that outlet, or they may just move it to a market that draws a higher price on certain cars. Depending on how much prep it takes to put the car on the market, this allows Carmax a little more room to deal on purchases.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote