#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #15
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
I've had a regular ZL1 for a year and a half and now have a 1LE as well. The difference is huge in terms of ride quality, but that's to be expected. The magnetic suspension in the regular ZL1 does a fantastic job at managing the bumps to give you a smooth ride but still perform REALLY well in the corners if you ask it to. The 1LE is just another level or two up in the corners.
That’s all I was saying. Some people are particular about ride quality. If you are, you need to be aware of this before you buy. Good on you for providing an honest assessment.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #16
UFDUB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Ride is relative. As someone else pointed out, if you drive a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, this is the same or better. I drive a lifted Jeep (set up for rock crawling/mud) daily and the ZLE rides more nicely. So things are relative. However, since I do enjoy the track, the slight ride degradation compared to the ZL1 is more than acceptable.
UFDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #17
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
This is the thread we needed on this subject years ago!
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #18
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFDUB View Post
Ride is relative. As someone else pointed out, if you drive a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, this is the same or better. I drive a lifted Jeep (set up for rock crawling/mud) daily and the ZLE rides more nicely. So things are relative. However, since I do enjoy the track, the slight ride degradation compared to the ZL1 is more than acceptable.
This isn’t about buying a truck or a ZLE. It’s about a ZL1 vs a ZLE. So it really isn’t “relative”. It’s a direct comparison between 2 specific cars.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #19
mosaic6

Drives: ZL1 1LE M6, Pontiac TransAm 400-T10
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
This isn’t about buying a truck or a ZLE. It’s about a ZL1 vs a ZLE. So it really isn’t “relative”. It’s a direct comparison between 2 specific cars.
I still say: don't drive a ZL1 1LE to Myrtle Beach!
mosaic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #20
~Jb

Drives: 2018 ZLE
The drive on the ZLE sucks, but that is the point of the car. The biggest factor is truly the roads the car is driving on too.

I also agree the PS4s also change the ride quality vs the 3R's (dramatically in my opinion)

The car was not built or tuned to be a touring car, and I am glad (mostly surprised) GM decided not to offer the entire 1LE aero package to the regular Z, because I think it would be a hot option, looking at all the people and companies that have made the parts to clone the look.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #21
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
ZLE has the best ride ever... but I'm also a wannabe race car driver.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:50 PM   #22
ponyboy96

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10, 2018 F250 Diesel
Yes the ZLE is harsh at first, but we got used to it. When I first purchased it, I had to drive it 5 hours home. There were some rough roads and we caught air a couple of times at 80mph. That was interesting. As has been said, if the roads are smooth, it’s fantastic. If you have potholes and rough roads, avoid it. Personally, I enjoy how it rides now and love hitting some twisty roads in it. I’m really looking forward to my first track experience. I’m just not sure the 3Rs are going to make it much longer.
ponyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #23
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosaic6 View Post
Avoid road trips to Myrtle Beach on the original 3R's!

If you have the original 3R's, suffer from even mild back pain and travel on rough roads for long durations, it'll catch up with you and make you begin to have second thoughts. If you maintain a healthy back and switch to regular street tires, you won't have to worry so much about the rough roads.

I got a video of me hitting a bump on I40 and yelling a big "ouch". Jammed my back for about 3 days.

yesterday I hit a bump over a bridge on I40 right in downtown Knoxville I hit my head on the ceiling with a tight set belt on.

Not knocking the car, I like it, just have to be prepared for the ride.

I got Hankook S4's on it.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #24
vy427

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 Convertible
Forgive my ignorance, but couldn’t these spool valve dampers been given some degree of manual adjustment so the car could be set for road use or even a bumpy track?
vy427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #25
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vy427 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but couldn’t these spool valve dampers been given some degree of manual adjustment so the car could be set for road use or even a bumpy track?
They could for sure. But that would really just defeat their purpose in the first place. If the ride harshness isn’t for a particular driver, he/she should really consider the non-1LE ZL1. That is a plush ride in tour mode.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #26
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i love all the posts about people buying a zl1 1le and then asking how to make it ride better haha

i guess the best answer is to put street tires on it and that helps alot plus if you are not going to be tracking it no need for 3rs on the car anyways
Old 10-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #27
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I love posts from non-ZLE owners who dont understand how shit the ride is

As upside, the struts do get softer w age or your body gets broken in.. one of the two happens for sure.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #28
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
I love posts from non-ZLE owners who dont understand how shit the ride is

As upside, the struts do get softer w age or your body gets broken in.. one of the two happens for sure.

did you see the zl1 1le guy that bagged his car? lol he was getting roasted more than anybody else