The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #15
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Let's all try to keep the topic on the Volt! Thanks!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:47 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
yes, Volt...I really love this Car, (cough) I love the Camaro more, but what's great about this thing, is it really isn't a hybrid! This is a step in a totally different direction - and GM is at the helm. This technology will DEFINITLY give GM the lead above the other companies. It can be configured to have the generator run on anything from straight gasoline to Hydrogen!! That makes it one of the most versatile cars out there - it can be taylored to the location. If there is more Ethanol in the West, have the West Coast cars run on ethanol, Want a fuel cell for the eastern side of the country, do it!. I wouldn't be surprised if this makes it's way into biodiesel too!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:26 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham

Info, anybody?

Old 08-15-2007, 12:08 AM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Darn it...I'd watch it right now but I have the baby who just fell asleep on me and the 2 year old asleep in the next room who wakes up from the tv or comp in here. I'll have to get on it tomorrow am.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:32 AM   #19
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I know its two really different hybrids. But the volt is so much cooler. The Prius is ugly slow and did i mention ugly and slow? The volt has 236 lb/ft of torque, and looks great. Need i say more?

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #20
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
... volt has 236 lb/ft of torque, and looks great. Need i say more?
At least! That was estimated. I was looking up this A123 company that GM has "contracted" to make batteries, and their claim to fame is - read it slowly - Nanophosphate Lithium Ion batteries. I'll admit, I have virtually no idea what that means, but they advertise a motorcycle (on their site) that used these battery cells, and it got near 800 lb/ft at the rear wheel :eek:

This was a hopped up battery, of course but that's what's great about these "Nanophosphate" batterys; they have been proven to offer tremendous power, a charge of 5/6 minutes compared to an equally strong Li+ battery's charge of 90 minutes, and 10x the life of Li+ batteries:eek:

Try to swallow that whole

And as for the Pretty little prius (sarcastic), The Volt isn't designed at all like it, it has the potential to be completely gas-free for the full of the vehicle's lifespan!
Old 08-15-2007, 01:43 AM   #21
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
This article is from financial times but was placed on the Internal gm website at work. Enjoy.

GM Eyes Electric Car Initiative
Financial Times

By Bernard Simon

Aug. 13, 2007

General Motors may allow buyers of its Chevy Volt electric car to rent the vehicle's battery as a way of pricing the vehicle at a comparable level to a traditional, petrol-driven family saloon.

The Volt is emerging as one of the most crucial vehicles in GM's history. Failure would be a deep embarrassment after the fanfare surrounding its development. But success could propel GM past Toyota as a pioneer in alternative energy vehicles. GM has assigned 150 engineers to the project.

The Detroit carmaker aims to launch the Volt by 2010. The battery would give a range of 40 miles and maintain full performance for at least 10 years. It would be recharged either by the car's small combustion engine or from a normal electrical point.

Battery rentals would helpful GM's goal of giving the Volt a wider appeal than the petrol-electric hybrid vehicles now on the road. Noting that the Volt will be marketed under GM’s global, mass-market Chevrolet brand, Frank Weber, the carmaker's chief engineer, said that it "needs to be affordable to the buyer of a normal mid-sized car".

Bob Lutz, GM's vice-chairman, said the Volt would be produced in both left- and right-hand drive versions. GM has so far shown a concept saloon model, but plans to unveil a second design at the Frankfurt car show next month. Mr. Lutz said: "We see it being sold round the world."

GM's confidence contrasts with reports that Toyota has delayed the launch of new hybrid models because of concerns about battery safety.

Justin Ward, a Toyota engineer, told a research conference last week that lithium-ion battery technology "hasn't proven that it's ready for the automotive market yet".

The two companies are pursuing different lithium-ion chemistries. Toyota uses nickel cobalt aluminum oxide, while GM has turned to a newer nano-phosphate technology.

GM expects to start testing batteries in October. Ric Fulop, co-founder of A123Systems, one of three companies developing the Volt's battery pack, said a big challenge was to maintain temperatures throughout the battery once it was in a vehicle.

GM's goal is to price the Volt, excluding battery, at about the same level as its Chevrolet Malibu saloon.

Mr. Weber estimates that an average Volt owner would spend about $25 (£12) a month on petrol, against $145 for a traditional Malibu. The difference could be used on battery rental payments, giving a similar total cost.
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:49 AM   #22
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
That is really the key to getting these hybrids more mainstream styling and performance.

This hybrid is easily the best looking, and 0-60 in 8.5 seconds....while not particularly quick, is enough to feel responsive in daily driving duties.

I would drive this as a commuter car myself.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:39 AM   #23
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
That is really the key to getting these hybrids more mainstream styling and performance.

This hybrid is easily the best looking, and 0-60 in 8.5 seconds....while not particularly quick, is enough to feel responsive in daily driving duties.

I would drive this as a commuter car myself.
Ditto. No gas? Heck yeah! I was about to say there was no way I was spending $145 in gas per month, but just realized that could be correct....ugh. I'd gladly pay a "rental fee" for a battery. And enough of these getting sold....then the technology spreads....and there's a HUGE leap for our environment in terms of transportation and emissions alone.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:03 AM   #24
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
the reason that these hybrids could be a lot faster is that internal combustion has rpms, electricity is instant and continuous power.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham

Imagine if that "78%" of the population bought one of these things - after all, GM is the only one offering something of this caliber - just like downshifting GM will fly by Toyota!
Old 08-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #26
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ditto. No gas? Heck yeah! I was about to say there was no way I was spending $145 in gas per month, but just realized that could be correct....ugh.
I'd consider a Volt if/when I'm in a position to afford 2 car payments. Something I doubt will happen anytime soon.

That said, I spend about $50 to $60 a month on gas usually. Helps when you live 3.5 miles from work. That, and gas that's currently about $2.44.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1189...googlenews_wsj

Quote:
Toyota's effort to develop lithium-ion batteries for its next-generation of hybrid cars has been slowed by overheating problems.
GM is using a different type of lithium compound for the batteries it is working on. "We are 100% confident we won't have heat issues," Mr. Lutz said.
This article was posted TODAY. GM. It's good to know that these batteries won't have a thermal event.
And it's a little encouraging to know GM has a little advantage over Toyota.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:36 AM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Its kinda surprising that Americans are beating the Japanese in something electronics related
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote