The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #155
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No, you're right. And the Volt won't be one of a kind. GM intends to put this platform out there among other vehicles once the Volt takes off, and prices come down.

Remember, this isn't just about the "Volt". It's the E-Flex platform. Capable of powering itself via hydrogen, deisel (or substitues), and gasoline (or substitutes). coupes, sedans, and I'd wager even small wagons/CUVs could be built on this platform.

I would expect to see Volt-derived technology leaking down onto other 'lesser' models within a decade, too. Same as performance goodies leak down from Corvette.

But DGthe3 still has a very good point, GM intends not just to beat Toyota at its own game; but to completely surpass them with a brand-new type of vehicle. And if revolutionizing the industry doesn't qualify......I don't think anything does.
Agreed. Do you know anything about GM's involvment in the developing of ethanol from other sources or know of any article concerning this.

Never mind found a couple.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/04/...lot-plant.html

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...hip/index.html
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #156
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
NICE links! Thank you! This is exactly the sort of thing I keep going on about:
Quote:
The demonstration plant, Coskata says, will start early next year and run 24 hours a day to produce about 40,000 gallons of cellulosic ethanol derived from almost any organic waste material, including agricultural waste and municipal garbage that might normally be placed in landfill.
Harvest the waste stream, people. Not doing so is a waste!
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...

Last edited by theholycow; 07-12-2008 at 04:40 PM.
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #157
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Info, anybody?

That was great
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #158
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
A car developed using technology used from the knowledge gained from the volt and applied to a car similar to the Prius but better to me would be like the Camaro vs Mustang, but hey just an opinion.
Yes, that is true too. Battery technology and electric AC and what not can be passed down from the flagship hybrid to the others much the same way that engine and transmission technology eventually gets passed from the corvette to other cars in the GM lineup.

One thing that the general public fails to realize is that GM has more experience with electric cars than any other auto maker. And not just the EV1 project either.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #159
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I think i remember hearing this but just to make sure. Does anyone know how long they expect the battery to last. What i mean is not how many miles on a charge. I mean how many years. Will they have the 10 year/ 100k mile warranty? After that will you have to pay to replace the battery? Are you even buying the volt, or do you lease it? All questions my dad was asking and i wasnt 100% sure.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #160
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
I think i remember hearing this but just to make sure. Does anyone know how long they expect the battery to last. What i mean is not how many miles on a charge. I mean how many years. Will they have the 10 year/ 100k mile warranty? After that will you have to pay to replace the battery? Are you even buying the volt, or do you lease it? All questions my dad was asking and i wasnt 100% sure.
I think they might be trying something odd, like buy the car, lease the battery. I could have imagined that though.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #161
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Video from How Stuff Works

how-the-chevrolet-volt-was-made-video

the title says it all. Granted it was on the concept car, but I wonder how much of what they said will translate into production. Also, you can see the Vert concept in the background for some of the video

Camaro Fest sub-forum