The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPOAJ View Post
why is the gtr faster then the zr1? http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showt...=106147&page=9
IF I remember right, that low 1.40 time was only preliminary.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
It may or may not be, they said clearly the 'Ring was cold and damp. They expect times to drop. Also driven by Chevy engineers, not Stig or race driver.

But, the GT-R is a real piece of work. It's stunning the performance now available. ZR-1 will give it a run. I fell out of love when I found out they were only importing tiny numbers and with the definite price gouging already started. I'll never own this car, or a ZR-1.

On the other hand I'm ordering my new Camaro Z28 the day the dealer gets the order book.

"According to our shooters on the ground, the Corvette ZR1 was turning in lap times in the low 7:40s, a pace that puts it right up there with the world's fastest supercars. And given the damp conditions and rough, hand-timed numbers, you can expect to see even quicker official lap times when Chevrolet goes public with its Nürburgring data.

Looks like they still have some work to do at the Nürburgring, because the Nissan GT-R has already run a lap of 7:38. We're guessing the ZR1 will be able to shave off another 4 seconds without much trouble. The only question now is how much quicker than 7:38 can it go? We'll keep you posted."

Great, now where's my Camaro 'Ring video with lap times!

Last edited by camaro5; 04-11-2008 at 02:46 PM.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
ZR1 Rocks the ring too!!!

I guess the Camaro Concept and the G8 GXP weren't the only GM V8 vehicles at the track that day... Judging by the road conditions this video was done the same day the Camaro's was. Listen to the exhaust of the LS9 and then listen to the Track times!!!

LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham

merged thread...
Old 04-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #19
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Hate to break it to you, but the GT-R's 7:38 time had damp sections on the track as well.

There is also a rumor that the 7:38 time was posted at nowhere close to full tilt either, but thats just a rumor.

I am a bit of a GT-R fanboi, I admit, but just a bit >.>
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
Hate to break it to you, but the GT-R's 7:38 time had damp sections on the track as well.

There is also a rumor that the 7:38 time was posted at nowhere close to full tilt either, but thats just a rumor.

I heard that they turned up the boost, and gave it some sticky tires to run that time....hmmmm; Interesting the massive contrast
Old 04-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #21
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Luvin' the color
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #22
Shadowsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I heard that they turned up the boost, and gave it some sticky tires to run that time....hmmmm; Interesting the massive contrast
Last I heard, that rumor was started by all the Porsche and 'vette boys who didn't want to believe how fast the GT-R was.

I suppose we won't know for sure until someone gets their production GT-R onto the ring
Old 05-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
well, the GTR is under-rated by about 10% too. I want to see what happens in a race between those two cars. same time, same track. first run with the vette starting in front, second with the nissan in front. Oh, and make it a GTR V spec so that we comapre similar cars. ~100k vs ~100k.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
Shadowsong

Considering the recent 'dry track' standard GT-R run, I'm thinking the V-spec would eat the vette alive.

Just my opinion though... don't eat me.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #25
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The ZR-1 couldn't have been going full tilt if it was running a 7:40. Thats 2 seconds faster than the Z06, for 115 more hp, better brakes, and better suspension. I'm hoping for a 7:24, 1 sec faster than the GT-R Vspec. Might not happen though. Then again, GM has only said that the ZR-1 will be making 'at least' or 'around' 620 hp, because they are still testing. Run a slow time? swap a pulley then claim 660 hp.
Quote:

Quote:
Last I heard, that rumor was started by all the Porsche and 'vette boys who didn't want to believe how fast the GT-R was.

I suppose we won't know for sure until someone gets their production GT-R onto the ring
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
well, the GTR is under-rated by about 10% too. I want to see what happens in a race between those two cars. same time, same track. first run with the vette starting in front, second with the nissan in front. Oh, and make it a GTR V spec so that we comapre similar cars. ~100k vs ~100k.
Quote:
Considering the recent 'dry track' standard GT-R run, I'm thinking the V-spec would eat the vette alive.

Just my opinion though... don't eat me.
Well there's more to a car than just lap time around the track...and all these times are unofficial.

The Vette is a looker and the GTR is F-Ugly...buts thats my opinion.

I'll agree that the GTR V Spec has put up some impressive numbers.

Now take into consideration these times were posted Pre-Corvette times, which makes me wonder if the Vette boys decided to take it easy, make few tweaks, then running again (prior to release date) with some official times.

Why I think this is! The Vette boys made a rather LARGE claim, that the new LS9 would beat any and all productions car track times.

Those who are in the Car Biz would testify, you would never say that unless you could back it up.

Come Vette boys....make us proud.