The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detail, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
GM Outdoor Car Cover

My parents got me one of the GM Accessories Outdoor Car Covers for my new Stingray as an early Christmas gift, as my Stingray is outdoors until I can add a bay to my garage in the spring. I picked it up the other day and thought I'd give a review of it for everyone.

First off, it arrived in a surprisingly small box, only about 10" x 10" x 18", (photo 1). Upon opening, the cover is found to be inside the included storage duffel bag, again surprisingly small (photo 2). The duffel is actually quite nice - made of a heavy nylon, well stitched with vinyl piping. It has "Corvette" embroidered on one side (photo 3). The zipper is plastic, with a metal tab.

The cover is neatly rolled up, and has one of the crossed flag emblems showing right on top, which I thought was a nice touch (photo 4). I unrolled the cover to the label, and was pleased to find it is made by Coverking. This cover, while purchased through my local dealer's parts department, is in fact Coverking's StormProof model (photo 5). The fabric feels like nylon on the outside, and soft microfiber on the inside, and is inheirantly waterproof, yet breathes. The elastic at the front and rear is strong, and wraps well under the fascias. The cover also has pockets for the side mirrors, and will fit coupes and convertibles. There is a heavy plastic grommet in a little pocket in the center edge on each side for a cable lock (cable lock not included).

Why, might one ask, would a person get it through GM and pay more for it than direct from Coverking? Photo 6 says it all! There is a HUGE Stingray emblem silk screened on each side of the cover, in addition to the Corvette crossed flags front & rear. Ok, I admit it's a purely cosmetic addition, but for those who want something a little different, this should do it, and help protect the car at the same time.

The cover comes in black with gray emblems, and light gray with black emblems. It took me less than 5 minutes to install it the first time, and even less to remove it, roll it up and stow it back in the duffel. The duffel is very generous in size, and even my quick packing was no problem, and there's plenty of room left over for towels or such if taking it on a road trip.

It this a cover for everyone? Like any accessory, probably not. However, I think it a better choice than an indoor-only cover, as it can be used both indoors and out, and is lightweight enough to be practical for daily use. It will help prevent minor finish damage, and keep the car cleaner if not driven for a while. Or, as in my case, keep leaves, snow and ice out of all the vents until I can expand my garage! I hope this helps anyone who may be on the fence about a cover.
Attached Images

'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Cool and looks good too! Looks fast moving still while covered, ninja style.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Buzzardz_vette
Remove Before Flight

Drives: 2014 Cpe Z51 2LT Torch Red
Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of buying from Coverking directly, but now I think I'll get the GM one. I love the Stingray on the side.
Buzzardz_vette is offline   Reply With Quote