Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-05-2021, 01:24 PM   #1
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Getting cold feet about Maggie

Long story short living in Cali is frustrating with all the rules and regulations with smog and cars etc..... I have put down a deposit for a Magnuson 2650R because it's about to get it's CARB certification, since my car is basically stock is it worth the cash to get the Magnuson or should I just stay stock? I know it's up to me and how I use the car etc, I just want to know that the money is well spent in the amount of 8K+ to upgrade to the Magnuson. Thoughts?
Old 11-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Not really worth it until you install a cam and start looking north of 700whp.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Not really worth it until you install a cam and start looking north of 700whp.
Which won't be happening here where I live.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:43 PM   #4
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I would not do it. You have taken your car about as far as you can go and still pass a smog inspection - maybe. Unless they give you a hassle about the cat-back. I have the same one, and it clearly says "Borla" on all the tips.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Long story short living in Cali is frustrating with all the rules and regulations with smog and cars etc..... I have put down a deposit for a Magnuson 2650R because it's about to get it's CARB certification, since my car is basically stock is it worth the cash to get the Magnuson or should I just stay stock? I know it's up to me and how I use the car etc, I just want to know that the money is well spent in the amount of 8K+ to upgrade to the Magnuson. Thoughts?

I'm in this predicament as well. I'm wondering if a ported blower without a tune would be worth it either.
Old 11-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #6
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
I don't understand. Do police wait at stoplights with decibel readers and smog checkers? Is there a reason to follow the laws so closely in California? I understand if it's because you're just a law abiding citizen, but reading so many threads about California laws makes me feel like driving around with no cats there will have my car impounded.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
I don't understand. Do police wait at stoplights with decibel readers and smog checkers? Is there a reason to follow the laws so closely in California? I understand if it's because you're just a law abiding citizen, but reading so many threads about California laws makes me feel like driving around with no cats there will have my car impounded.
If you are cited for a Cat-back, the OEM exhaust has to be re-installed and you pay a fine. Since this will require cutting the aftermarket cat-back out and welding the OEM one back in. It is more expensive and troublesome to fix. Its just a hassle and costs money.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #8
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
If you are cited for a Cat-back, the OEM exhaust has to be re-installed and you pay a fine. Since this will require cutting the aftermarket cat-back out and welding the OEM one back in. It is more expensive and troublesome to fix. Its just a hassle and costs money.
Catback exhausts aren't illegal here. They come with carb compliant paperwork.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:45 PM   #9
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
I'm in this predicament as well. I'm wondering if a ported blower without a tune would be worth it either.
Normally, I would tell you to get a tune with a ported blower, but the new CT5-V Blackwing picked up a LOT of HP with nothing but a Kong X ported blower. No tune at all.

Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:53 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
do it you only live once
Old 11-05-2021, 05:09 PM   #11
SSUNDVL

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
If I had to deal with smog/vehicle rules like you I would probably be looking into a nitrous throttle body system and ignition timing retard box or faster stock car if it mattered.
SSUNDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:20 PM   #12
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I am contemplating what the options are here in CA for myself as well.

For one, I wouldn't bet that CARB will issue EO for the 2650r. I would wait to buy it once the EO is actually approved. they may change the model number or actual design slightly, and you would be out of luck. I wanted a whipple kit for a gt350 and whipple swore up and down that it was coming years ago. last I checked a few months ago, still nothing. most recently they blamed covid.

My goal is to make in the low 700whp range, be able to smog the car without a ton of work. and also do not want to worry about overheating on track.

I do not want to do LTs because that is too much work to put back to stock for smog. From what I see, it seems like stock exhaust manifolds will really limit power potential.

I have access to e85 so was thinking of flex fuel at whatever mixture, tune, ported stock blower, maybe a TB, and intake. for smog, I would pull the flex sensor(on regular gas), TB and intake and after a bit of driving and the car is ready to smog, I should be good to smog. Guessing I wont get to my ideal hp without LTs though.

The other option i am considering is if the 2650r CARB EO comes out, I could do that, and also flex fuel sensor, e85, swap back to carb legal tune before smog. It seems like again, with no LTs though, this will be a good bit more money, and not much more hp than sticking with the stock blower as the LTs are a big bottleneck.

I don't think heads would really help much with stock ported blower, again, without LTs and without a cam, and cam would obviously be too much work to swap and would not smog on stock tune.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:26 PM   #13
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
The main hurdle is if you live in most populated counties in CA, you need a smog check every two years. The smog station workers now are paranoid and will not pass anything if even remotely possibly not stock. now, you need to go back to your stock, or carb compliant tune. My stock c6 corvette was failled because the smog tech thought it was modded. two other smog techs saw it failed and didnt want to even bother smogging it. huge pain.

The other issue is you can get pulled over and if you are modified (even just exhaust) they can send you to the state ref. the state ref will go through your car to make sure you are compliant so your car has to be stock or of course have carb eo parts and now no tune.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:52 PM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
smog in cali is 8 years for new cars then once every two years so even if you have a 16 you still good for another 2 years...

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018...-smog-checked/