Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
jordan 572

Drives: none
so what adapted do i tap into x1 or x3? maybe you should say a reason instead of opinions
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #16
Eski7399
Arizona All Gens

Drives: 2SS/RS, M6, IO-Int
I've spliced into the low lvl wires not the sub wires and it sounded like absolute crap. Soon as I tapped into the sub wires my sub came alive. Do what you want, what he posted gives the best sound between the two options.
Eski7399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
jordan 572

so x1 or x3?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #18
pleigh

Drives: 2010 CGM 1LT A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
so x1 or x3?
x3

Wires From Adapter-------------Wires Going Into BA Amp

Black------------------------Dark Blue
Black w/ Stripe---------Tan
White-----------------------Brown w/ White Stripe
White w/ Black Stripe--------Brown

Remote turn on--------------White

Here's the link to the thread including the wiring diagram:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...wiring+diagram

NO, the Rev limiter is not set to 118MPH... and YES, driving in this manner does affect MPG...
pleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #19
jordan 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleigh View Post
x3

that is what i thought just making sure. this means no loc just snip the end of a rca and splice away? thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #20
4xchamp
MURC 666

Drives: 69 Pace Car 68 Camaro Restomod 81 Z
Ivan , I connected the amp and sub today using your instructions . Took me no time and the sub is working . I am however having a problem when both inputs are connected to the Hiphonic amp the rear factory speakers distort , if I use only one input problem goes away . I'm going to mess with it again tomorrow and let you know what happens . Again , sub is pumping , I can feel it !
On a different note , I noticed road sand in the qtr / truck area and a little moisture , ( darn winter ) it seems the body hole plug is just sitting trapped between the bumper and not really popped in correctly from factory . There is no way to push it in without at least partially disconnecting the rear bumper . I then also removed the right qtr trim and found sand and moisture there also . Note in my photo the qtr vent baffle is also wet . I'm going to get into this further and get it figured out .
Has any one else seen this ?
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #21
pleigh

Quote:
that is what i thought just making sure. this means no loc just snip the end of a rca and splice away? thanks

You got it, I used this adapter from Crutchfield that you can find almost anywhere:

JL Audio XB-CLRAIC2-SW 2-channel Speaker Wire to RCA Adapter

I removed the carpet, unscrewed the plastic cover at rear of trunk/vehicle, pulled the tabs holding the fabric on the driver side trunk wall, and unplugged all the harnesses coming into the BA amp located in the trunk and identified the x3 connector. I then cut the above-mentioned wires and stripped back about a 1/4 inch on them and the adapter. Twisted them according to the above color coding and soldered them and put on heatshrink. You can also buy wire taps at Radio Shack or from folks like Sub Thump. I prefer solder as I've had taps fail on me before.

It really isn't that difficult. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and my little setup went in like a charm:

To extend the RCAs like I did you need a pair of female to female RCA couplers also from Radio Shack and just plug an RCA cable into that and your Amp

NO, the Rev limiter is not set to 118MPH... and YES, driving in this manner does affect MPG...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #22
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Ivan , I connected the amp and sub today using your instructions . Took me no time and the sub is working . I am however having a problem when both inputs are connected to the Hiphonic amp the rear factory speakers distort , if I use only one input problem goes away . I'm going to mess with it again tomorrow and let you know what happens . Again , sub is pumping , I can feel it !
On a different note , I noticed road sand in the qtr / truck area and a little moisture , ( darn winter ) it seems the body hole plug is just sitting trapped between the bumper and not really popped in correctly from factory . There is no way to push it in without at least partially disconnecting the rear bumper . I then also removed the right qtr trim and found sand and moisture there also . Note in my photo the qtr vent baffle is also wet . I'm going to get into this further and get it figured out .
Has any one else seen this ?
Did you go with the first (incorrect) diagram which showed connecting to the actual OUTPUTS off the X3 Amp Connection? If so, then you most definietly will be getting confliciting signals at high draw and also take away power from your rear speakers.

I updated the diagram (somewhat) this morning before I went into work and need to take a good picture to detail the correct wiring diagram that shows connecting to the low level outputs.

On a sidenote, yes, it is interesting that you found stuff in your trunk well. I found what appeared to be a tiny stick or limb off a little branch. I thought nothing of it until you said something now. I just vaccuumed (sp?) out the junk and rolled.

Let me know what wires you tapped into. That more than likely is the issue.

..and post up some pics! Threads with pics RULE!

Thaks,
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #23
jordan 572

like these
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CC8Q8gIwBg#

im sure they have them at rs but cant find them on there site. so buy the jl cord that is already spliced and use that to splice into the amp then plug the couplers into the red and white end of the jl rca then buy a normal rca cable and plug it into the amp and couplers? what advantage does the jl cord have over just cutting and splicing your own?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #24
pleigh

Quote:
like these
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CC8Q8gIwBg#

im sure they have them at rs but cant find them on there site. so buy the jl cord that is already spliced and use that to splice into the amp then plug the couplers into the red and white end of the jl rca then buy a normal rca cable and plug it into the amp and couplers? what advantage does the jl cord have over just cutting and splicing your own?

That's the coupler, and of course RS was more expensive and didn't provide them as a dual. The only driving factor for me buying the adapter is that I'm lazy.. at least from a splicing stand point. Other's on here have done exactly as you describe.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #25
jordan 572

Quote:
That's the coupler, and of course RS was more expensive and didn't provide them as a dual. The only driving factor for me buying the adapter is that I'm lazy.. at least from a splicing stand point. Other's on here have done exactly as you describe.
lol your were to lazy to cut the end off of a cord and pull the wires apart? dont blame you
Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #26
4xchamp
MURC 666

Drives: 69 Pace Car 68 Camaro Restomod 81 Z
Quote:
You got it, I used this adapter from Crutchfield that you can find almost anywhere:

JL Audio XB-CLRAIC2-SW 2-channel Speaker Wire to RCA Adapter

I removed the carpet, unscrewed the plastic cover at rear of trunk/vehicle, pulled the tabs holding the fabric on the driver side trunk wall, and unplugged all the harnesses coming into the BA amp located in the trunk and identified the x3 connector. I then cut the above-mentioned wires and stripped back about a 1/4 inch on them and the adapter. Twisted them according to the above color coding and soldered them and put on heatshrink. You can also buy wire taps at Radio Shack or from folks like Sub Thump. I prefer solder as I've had taps fail on me before.

It really isn't that difficult. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and my little setup went in like a charm:

To extend the RCAs like I did you need a pair of female to female RCA couplers also from Radio Shack and just plug an RCA cable into that and your Amp
What color coding did you use ? Please elaborate .
Old 03-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #27
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
lol your were to lazy to cut the end off of a cord and pull the wires apart? dont blame you
It's really simple to be honest....I hate paying for things that can be done myself.

I have like a 12" spare (cut from my original RCA) that you can have if you want it. You can practice on that or use it if you plan on mounting your amp close to your tap...or run long jumper wires to the RCA spice. PM me if you want it.

Quote:
What color coding did you use ? Please elaborate .
If you do use the JL piece this is the diagram:

-Ivan

Last edited by Ivan @ Southwest Speed; 03-01-2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #28
pleigh

Quote:
Yah.. pretty sad huh??