#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-31-2022, 09:43 AM   #15
Slurpee

Drives: 2020 ZL1 A10; Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
I'd like to hear some details from the 1LE engineer team on when the aero becomes effective. Personally, I think it fees like the canards help plant the front end at speeds of 65/70.
I'm curious as to why you think it's the canards that are planting it and not the factory 1LE lip spoiler.
Slurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:08 AM   #16
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
The front splitter and canards work in tandem with the rear spoiler. See video below -

Old 10-31-2022, 09:44 PM   #17
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
The front splitter and canards work in tandem with the rear spoiler. See video below -

This, this canards and the splitter are matched. You could just work on the splitter.

Another article here.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:15 PM   #18
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
My Canard Story: I was instructing a student at Pitt Race in Cayman based race car. At 90 mph on the back straight the car started to swerve left and right as if the driver was trying "scrub his tires". He was not. After the second occurrence - we pulled into the garages, jacked up the car, and went over every piece of the suspension. No issues found. As we were about to leave the garage I noticed the passenger side dive plate was missing. I told him take off the driver side dive plate and see what happened. No more swerving. My take away - those diveplates/canards kick in significantly above 80 mph - in terms of both drag and downforce.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 01:28 PM   #19
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

What show is this clip from? Very cool. I'd like to see the whole episode.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 02:32 PM   #20
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
What show is this clip from? Very cool. I'd like to see the whole episode.
It's on Prime Video - /Drive - Season 4. Episode 1. They have a special segment in that episode about the ZL1/1LE.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:53 PM   #21
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Speaking of canards, where can I buy the driver's side canard at a decent price
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:20 PM   #22
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
It's on Prime Video - /Drive - Season 4. Episode 1. They have a special segment in that episode about the ZL1/1LE.
Found it. Thanks!
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:32 PM   #23
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Speaking of canards, where can I buy the driver's side canard at a decent price
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...ector-23329726
Old 11-01-2022, 05:34 PM   #24
SebV19

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
Yeah I've noticed that on high speed turns the rear end feels very loose. I'm looking at upgrading the rear cradle mounts, and it's why I added the 1LE wing. My home track doesn't have a corner at that speed though, highest speed corner is about 80-90, depending on the car. So it seems the canards wouldn't have an affect on that track.

I did a lot of research on that and the conclusion that I saw was the electronics only freak out when you run square set ups. The take off slicks are something like .2 inches off in diameter compared to OEM, and I didn't see any complaints on the electronics. Biggest complaint was taking 2-3 laps to warm up the tires and loosing a lot of your first session.
On the topic of non-OEM sized tires(slicks) just be careful if you use any of the PTM modes that engage the brakes as a means of traction control, Sport 1 and below. Running non oem tire heights you could run into a situation where the car is dragging the rear brakes thinking the car is doing a burnout on corner exit.
Also, I don't see you needing to change out fronts for every session. I often run my own scrubs, but have run takeoffs a few times. If you get your alignment right you should be able to get at least 1 day out of them no problem.

In terms of DF numbers from the canards, they are less of a downforce effect than they are cutting lift by directing air around the wheel wheels and eventually towards the back of the car and will make a difference in the high speed balance of the car.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:30 PM   #25
Slurpee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexslayer View Post
My Canard Story: I was instructing a student at Pitt Race in Cayman based race car. At 90 mph on the back straight the car started to swerve left and right as if the driver was trying "scrub his tires". He was not. After the second occurrence - we pulled into the garages, jacked up the car, and went over every piece of the suspension. No issues found. As we were about to leave the garage I noticed the passenger side dive plate was missing. I told him take off the driver side dive plate and see what happened. No more swerving. My take away - those diveplates/canards kick in significantly above 80 mph - in terms of both drag and downforce.
Alright, I guess that settles it. I'll cut into the bumper.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #26
Slurpee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebV19 View Post
On the topic of non-OEM sized tires(slicks) just be careful if you use any of the PTM modes that engage the brakes as a means of traction control, Sport 1 and below. Running non oem tire heights you could run into a situation where the car is dragging the rear brakes thinking the car is doing a burnout on corner exit.
Also, I don't see you needing to change out fronts for every session. I often run my own scrubs, but have run takeoffs a few times. If you get your alignment right you should be able to get at least 1 day out of them no problem.

In terms of DF numbers from the canards, they are less of a downforce effect than they are cutting lift by directing air around the wheel wheels and eventually towards the back of the car and will make a difference in the high speed balance of the car.
By every session, I meant every event. Most events are 5 sessions of 20 minutes at my home track. But that was an abundance of caution. Until I'm comfortable with the slicks. Most I've seen is people getting 3 events out of them. But yes, getting camber plates installed. Will start with the factory track alignment and work my way down with more camber.

Yeah I was going to run Pirelli DH 305/660 18 F and 325/680 18 R, going to do the strut grind. That's a good point, though. I was always comparing to ZLE measurements. The stock ZL1 heights are 26.7" F 27.2R compared to 26" F 26.8" R on the takeoffs. Looks like I should run 305/680 F. Not sure what size up is on the rears.

Last edited by Slurpee; 11-01-2022 at 09:50 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-02-2022, 12:19 PM   #27
SebV19

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
By every session, I meant every event. Most events are 5 sessions of 20 minutes at my home track. But that was an abundance of caution. Until I'm comfortable with the slicks. Most I've seen is people getting 3 events out of them. But yes, getting camber plates installed. Will start with the factory track alignment and work my way down with more camber.

Yeah I was going to run Pirelli DH 305/660 18 F and 325/680 18 R, going to do the strut grind. That's a good point, though. I was always comparing to ZLE measurements. The stock ZL1 heights are 26.7" F 27.2R compared to 26" F 26.8" R on the takeoffs. Looks like I should run 305/680 F. Not sure what size up is on the rears.
Not sure what your home track is, but running Pirellis I'd say the most you're going to get out of them is 2 days. I've corded sticker Michelins in less than that, and we're not even talking abt the HC fall off.
On the alignment side, I'd say the factory track alignment is a good place to start. If you can, try and get some tire temps and adjust from there. These cars don't need crazy amounts of camber.

I've run those sizes in Pirelli's, you should be fine. There's an old thread in here about the percentage difference in height FR/R and I would say that's the most important thing when it comes to choosing the takeoffs you want to run. But if you don't use the PTM modes, don't worry about it.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:39 PM   #28
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebV19 View Post
Not sure what your home track is, but running Pirellis I'd say the most you're going to get out of them is 2 days. I've corded sticker Michelins in less than that, and we're not even talking abt the HC fall off.
On the alignment side, I'd say the factory track alignment is a good place to start. If you can, try and get some tire temps and adjust from there. These cars don't need crazy amounts of camber.

I've run those sizes in Pirelli's, you should be fine. There's an old thread in here about the percentage difference in height FR/R and I would say that's the most important thing when it comes to choosing the takeoffs you want to run. But if you don't use the PTM modes, don't worry about it.
You still have the ABS expecting to see the fronts spinning faster vs rears, maybe not an issue with ZLE but definitely a potential issue with non-1LE cars.

Tags
zl1, zl1 1le