Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #1
RedHot18

Drives: 2018 ZL1
A10 transmission overheat issues

Hi Guys, I took my Zl1 to Sebring yesterday and got through the first run group with no issues, was relatively cool by Florida standards. The second session was late morning and seven laps in I got a screen saying "transmission temperature high, idle engine" . WTF!!! I ran the car slow for one lap, warning went off , did one more lap at something less than normal, then went in. I was going to go out for third session with transmission temp gauge up on center cluster but we got rained out. Driving home from track, all was normal transmission temp stayed steady at 200. Has anyone else had any over heat issues? I though this car was not going to have the issues of the C7 automatics. I'm calling the dealership this morning. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
RedHot18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #2
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot18 View Post
Hi Guys, I took my Zl1 to Sebring yesterday and got through the first run group with no issues, was relatively cool by Florida standards. The second session was late morning and seven laps in I got a screen saying "transmission temperature high, idle engine" . WTF!!! I ran the car slow for one lap, warning went off , did one more lap at something less than normal, then went in. I was going to go out for third session with transmission temp gauge up on center cluster but we got rained out. Driving home from track, all was normal transmission temp stayed steady at 200. Has anyone else had any over heat issues? I though this car was not going to have the issues of the C7 automatics. I'm calling the dealership this morning. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Interesting, sorry to hear that happened to you. Curious to hear what the dealer says. First I heard of any overheating with this car. On the Motor Trend review, they said they beat the daylights out of the car for a week and couldn't get it to overheat.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Interesting, sorry to hear that happened to you. Curious to hear what the dealer says. First I heard of any overheating with this car. On the Motor Trend review, they said they beat the daylights out of the car for a week and couldn't get it to overheat.
Yeah, sounds like a fluke. I think I've only heard of one other overheating problem on here.

Dealer will hopefully check it out and find the root cause. Keep us posted, RedHot.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #4
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I think there was another thread posted here with similar issues and it ended up being the fluid level was incorrectly filled at the factory. I would definitely get it to the dealership and have them start the process on getting it looked at.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I think there was another thread posted here with similar issues and it ended up being the fluid level was incorrectly filled at the factory. I would definitely get it to the dealership and have them start the process on getting it looked at.
Yeah, the other issue was related to overfilling which caused foaming in the transmission and then the fluid thinned or aerated (sp).....
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Yep, def have it checked for overfill (funnily enough) as it's known to cause that issue. Definitely keep us up2date.

Now awaiting ~certain~ naysayers to come litter this thread though.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
hadkins2

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE Hyper Blue
Here is the thread where the overheating is discussed. There is a recall for that condition.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506843

2005 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
1987 Camaro IROC-Z White T-Tops

Instagram @Gen6ZL1
hadkins2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Yes...have the fluid level checked. I'd still like to know if there is a production range this affects, but I do believe it applies to both 2017 and 2018 cars.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Was the car taken to the dealer prior to the track day for the track prep?
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
RedHot18

Had the car gone over by my own guy, New DOT 4 Modul brake fluid, carbotect XP-12 pads all way around, and it had the oil changed at the dealership the week before along with what ever their multi point inspection is. I will have it at dealership in AM and let them check the transmission, cooler and lines and will report back.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #11
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
At one point, there was an entry in the track prep to set the level in the trans. But, it was rescinded with an update later as "not needed". Guess it technically is needed at least once, since we're seeing these crop hope. Hopefully, yours is just a simple byproduct of a factory overfill and not anything else more complicated than that.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #12
juice3

Drives: 19 ZLE A10,17 SS 1LE, 16 C7R,CT5V
I've got 10 track days on my ZL1 and no issues. I'm pushing it to, 30+ minute sessions with 4-5 sessions a day.
juice3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #13
RedHot18

Got the car back from dealer. Had it all day, checked everything from fluid level to lines and the cooler and found nothing. I do have a case number with GM. Maybe this car is not meant for race car levels of track use. Will be at Daytona in two weeks to give it another go.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #14
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Could this be the reason you can't get the A10 with the 1Le package. They couldn't sell a track car with an overheating transmission so maybe they discovered that in testing.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote