Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
lechess

Drives: LS3
Opinions on tires?

Well my rear 275/40/20 p zeros lasted 18k miles and are done. I dont want to buy another set of these crappy tires because the traction was bad, tire noise was bad, had lots of road noise, and the ride was stiff. Im running the stock ss wheels and factory size tires for now.. i came across 2 good deals on amazon while searching for tires. They are the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 and the Nitto NT 555 G2. From you guys experience which is a better Tire all around. I dont drive in the rain so im looking for a good performance summer tire.
lechess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Do lots of burn outs? I'm at ~26,000 miles and still have a decent amount of tread left on my PZero's, and I like to hit the corners fairly hard (strictly street car). Anyway, I've heard good things about those Nitto's, however, I can't say from experience - but based on what I've read I do plan to go with those in a year or two when I need new tires.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
lechess

Haha, yea no i dont purposely do burnouts. it just don't hook up and spins alot. I dont drag race car. Just some fun on the street. It dont bother me that tires last 20k miles, it bothered me that the performance sucked. I just want to be able to hook up.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I'm up to 29K miles on these Pirellis. At 600 apiece for the rears and 450 apiece for the fronts, I take it easy on those bad boys!!! What posessed Chevrolet to use 21 inchers on the Green Flash is beyond me!!! Granted they look great, but oh the cost!!!!!

I don't like them either, too hard. I will try to find a cheaper alternative when the time comes or maybe change over to 20 inch Cragars!!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lechess View Post
Well my rear 275/40/20 p zeros lasted 18k miles and are done. I dont want to buy another set of these crappy tires because the traction was bad, tire noise was bad, had lots of road noise, and the ride was stiff. Im running the stock ss wheels and factory size tires for now.. i came across 2 good deals on amazon while searching for tires. They are the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 and the Nitto NT 555 G2. From you guys experience which is a better Tire all around. I dont drive in the rain so im looking for a good performance summer tire.
You’re not going to find (fix) ALL of that in one tire. The Pzero is a purpose built tire. The traction is just fine. You’re just looking for a different kind of traction. And blaming a stiff ride on tires is like blaming a rough airplane ride on the wings. Much like saying a wore out tire is the tires fault and not the drivers. A tire can’t wear itself out too quick. It’s all in how you drive, and your driving habits. (Try buying some drag radials and see how long those last.)

But, if you’re looking for a bargain bin tire, then it really doesn’t matter what you buy. Just get whatever is on sale and get it delivered in two days with Amazon prime.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
lechess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
You’re not going to find (fix) ALL of that in one tire. The Pzero is a purpose built tire. The traction is just fine. You’re just looking for a different kind of traction. And blaming a stiff ride on tires is like blaming a rough airplane ride on the wings. Much like saying a wore out tire is the tires fault and not the drivers. A tire can’t wear itself out too quick. It’s all in how you drive, and your driving habits. (Try buying some drag radials and see how long those last.)

But, if you’re looking for a bargain bin tire, then it really doesn’t matter what you buy. Just get whatever is on sale and get it delivered in two days with Amazon prime.
Actually yes i can find a fix to all the problems. And traction is not fine. These tire are junk in my opinion. The bf goodrich tires i had did not have these problems.Thats why im getting away from them. I took the car to discount tire and was told the tire has a defect that explains the vibration i was also getting. I just need 2 rear tires to hold me over until next year because im getting ccw wheels and wider tires.
Now my orginal question was which is a better tire between the two that i mentioned from the users expericence.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Actually yes i can find a fix to all the problems. And traction is not fine. These tire are junk in my opinion. The bf goodrich tires i had did not have these problems.Thats why im getting away from them. I took the car to discount tire and was told the tire has a defect that explains the vibration i was also getting. I just need 2 rear tires to hold me over until next year because im getting ccw wheels and wider tires.
Now my orginal question was which is a better tire between the two that i mentioned from the users expericence.

Apparently you believe you know the answer....so why are you asking us?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
lechess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Apparently you believe you know the answer....so why are you asking us?

I guess you cant read because i was asking for users experiecne with the firehawk indy 500 and nt555 g2. So if you dont have any experience with either one you are no help to my question.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
I am happy with Kuhmo PS91 275/40/20 $169.75 from tirerack...

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
Nitto over Firehawk.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #11
Carla

Drives: SS
Tires

Hi. My tires have only 18,000 miles on them and I already need new tires. Any suggestions? I bought them last July for $1,000.00. That seems high. Are there any better deals out there? I have a 2014 SS. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #12
Chris-10

Drives: 2ss/rs vr 6m
Quote:
I guess you cant read because i was asking for users experiecne with the firehawk indy 500 and nt555 g2. So if you dont have any experience with either one you are no help to my question.
Nice attitude, if I did have the experience with either, I wouldn’t tell You
Old 10-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #13
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I too was looking for a good "all around tire". Got the 555 G2's on the rear. I really like them... much better on the street than the Goodyear's. When the fronts wear down, I will be putting the g2's all around...
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:38 PM   #14
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
General g max
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote