Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2014, 03:34 AM   #15
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
I really wish we had Thumbs Up markers on these forums lol
Old 08-23-2014, 03:40 AM   #16
purv24

Drives: Black 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Mammer View Post
Question 1: you say insurance is your only bill, does this mean you have:
A loaded mommy and daddy or equivalent who are paying for the car
B have saved up enough money from the last few years to pay for it
C forgot to mention the car payment in your monthly bills

Question 2 are you looking at a
A new unsold '13 vette (you said c6)
B new camaro (I'm assuming v8)
C used c6
D used camaro

Question 3 is this your first car?

Question 4 do you already have another car suitable for winter?

Answer key:
If you answered A to question 1 I vote you should not have either vette or camaro
If you answered B get whichever you want and can ACTUALLY afford.
C when I was in school there was this thing called math, and I think you should rethink your finances and get some real numbers not just what someone said. I financed 31k with a credit score of 780+ and still needed a cosigner and wound up with a $610/month car payment and 31k is the least of your worries if you answered either A or B or Even C to question 2.

Question 3 if you answered yes, then I again vote no. Learn how to drive before you get that much power.

Question 4 if you answered no you will need one before you need a sports car.

Look, honestly we all want to see you get the vette or camaro of your dreams, but nobody wants to see it handed to you. There is a certain level of pride and appreciation and respect that comes from working hard to get your own things (sports cars included) and if you think people are giving you a blast of crap now about wanting a vette, imagine how much you're going to get when you're riding around in one that somebody else bought for you.

Also look at your future, it's near impossible to live off of 12.xx an hour as is, with a car payment it is impossible. Finish school, go to college, get a good paying job and buy what you want and have income to spare, by 22. At 17/18 you aren't even half the age of a 40 year old midlife crisis, you've got plenty of time. Do it right.
A couple of things that worry me.

This kid is ignorant enough to look for a message board for inspiration.

He thinks he might have to get a CAMARO, instead of a VETTE, because he will get too much shit in a vette.

So hes asking an internet forum what they think, but worried about shit hell get if he were to get the more expensive car.

Something doesn't add up.
purv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:43 AM   #17
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
My first car was a 1994 Mercury Topaz!

Me saying that is to say this: "Buy what you can afford right now without putting yourself in financial bind. Then once you get you finances right then upgrade.
DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:46 AM   #18
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by purv24 View Post
So hes asking an internet forum what they think, but worried about shit hell get if he were to get the more expensive car.
:laugha bove:
Old 08-23-2014, 03:49 AM   #19
purv24

Drives: Black 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP Valentino View Post
My first car was a 1994 Mercury Topaz!

Me saying that is to say this: "Buy what you can afford right now without putting yourself in financial bind. Then once you get you finances right then upgrade.
Mine was actually a 98, v6 Camaro, that I paid cash for. 4800 to be exact.

Back then, I stayed away from the V8 because of insurance. And I STILL think I got a good car too early.

There is NO possible way someone that young is ready to tend to a new Camaro like it should be, unless his dads a mechanic or something, in which case, hed probably be getting some reliable old car.
purv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #20
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
as you become an adult there are a lot more expenses and I imagine the insurance will be extremely high. if it was as easy as coming up with the money for the payment at that age every one would drive Camaros at 17. I know insurance cost is what kept me from a camaro at that age, instead I bought a z24 cavalier and admittedly really liked it. some times you got to get what you can afford and not live like a popper. just one of those things that goes along with being an adult and making sound decisions. If you feel you have to have it I might suggest buy litely used. you can save 3-8 grand on a fifth gen going that route and the property tax on it would be a lot better also.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #21
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Talking down to kids and using names like "boy" seemed stupid when I was 16.

Now I'm 43 and it still seems stupid.

If you need to use names to impart wisdom, you aren't half as wise as you think. Just when did pissing somebody off make them agree with your point of view? The only thing talking down to this kid does is make you feel better about yourself.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #22
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
a lot can happen in a few years at your age that seem to take forever to get through that in time and with age and experience are much shorter than thought out in the long run. At your age I did what seemed like forever, and was a four year tour in the army infantry,( I am a disabled vet now). Try to think ahead if you can and think of the future, I know its hard being wiser than your years at your age but in a couple years you could be married and divorced living in a van down by the river trying to afford child support payments to Lila who loved your Camaro and now owns the trailer........ LOL just a example, and BTW the economy is crap right now, the news is mostly all liberal lies as in: last month 230,000 people found jobs!!!!! hurrah the economy is doing great!!!! ,( it takes over 260,000 new jobs per month to even keep even with immigration and graduation rates in the U.S.), and only 360,000 filed for unemployment last week.....that's great!!!! no that's 130,000 more people than found a job, and the economy is on the rebound!!!!! No the economy is tanked hard already to plummet someday with the Phoney baloney stock market which BTW is all about junk stock right now and quick profits and greed because the real solid stock is stuck not making a profit.... and our president and his clowns pump trillions into the mortgage bond market to weaken the U.S. dollar and artificially boost the economy which it is really only hurting in the long run....oh yes and Obamacare will save us all on the cost of health insurance,( it has only risen 50% since it came into being).

SO be wise is basically all I can say, if your looking for advice here mine would be like a rock to stand above the stream: what is good for today may be a anchor draggin you down in the future ,( I am in the fifties and work in a penitentiary for good money for the government and even I worry as the US standard of being the worlds reserve currency is damn near ruined by Obama and may cause us all to go into poverty he really has ruined American interests and brought us down in the world we are weaker than ever).
Best advice: look into your heart and use your best intuition and wisdom to make a decision on a vehicle, and affordable is nice when you want to do things other than sit around staring at your car, or wondering about your job security! Goodluck, and BTW if you follow Camaros like we do the new generation of Camaro is going to look a lot like this one as its a big friggin hit and you can tell from the photos of the test mules its certain they are not going to do something stupid like say....go all mustang or ricey on it, no its going to look a lot like the gen 5 because they are winning the muscle car wars at g.m. not say oh...... selling themselves to fiat and getting desperate after no one like oh Mercedes wanted them.... and building a car that gets 1.5 gallon per minute...( not that I would not want one for the future investor car market if only I could be cryogenically frozen...lol its a Hellcat....oh my they only made 1200 per year for two years then CAFE from hell hit ) like I said good luck.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #23
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
I smell a troll
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #24
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
There are a lot of unknown personal and financial factors to even answering this question....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #25
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinfett View Post
I don't want to wait until i'm 40 and suffering a mid life crisis to buy a vett or camaro.

I am 50 and am not experiencing any "mid life crisis." I have had high powered fast muscle and sports cars pretty much all of my life. I never understood that "mid life crisis" statement. At any rate, do you live at home? Do you contribute toward food, utilities, pay your own phone, etc.? $350 a month for insurance is outrageous, this mid-lifer doesn't pay that much in a year. Certainly do whatever you feel is best for you, but consider also that there will soon be more responsibilities in life that your paycheck may need to go toward. Also, don't forget the car payments, maintenance, fuel, and the possibility of losing a job and having to have a contingency plan in place to cover expenses.

Have you thought about getting a used older Camaro? Maybe pay for it cash outright and get liability insurance only?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #26
EmeryZ28

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
There is no problem with a 17 year old having a Camaro.....I just think you are dreaming a Gen5.

When I was 15 back in the late 90's I had worked my butt off and was doing good in school, so my dad allowed ME to purchase an 87 IROC-Z. I absolutely loved that car and respected it. Everyone said I was going to get in trouble, but I never did, no tickets.

So my suggestion to you, is stop trying to buy a new camaro or vette when you are still a child making 12 bucks an hour.

You could problably pick up a 99 Z28 or Trans Am for a great deal, still have a bad ass car for a 17 year old and this will be much more fiscally responsible. If you want to be treated like an adult who can handle a car like this, act like an adult.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #27
Desertion

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Transformer Edition
Beware of unexpected expenses also, make sure you're not spending too much to put some money into an emergency savings. I went into debt 2 years ago because I had to go to a hospital when I got really sick because I didn't want to "waste" money on health insurance. Lesson learned I have insurance now. But what I was trying to get at is you can't be too certain that you will only have one bill, get what you can afford "comfortably" and still be able to put money away for a rainy day.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #28
tmcclint

Drives: 2014 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeryZ28 View Post
There is no problem with a 17 year old having a Camaro.....I just think you are dreaming a Gen5.

When I was 15 back in the late 90's I had worked my butt off and was doing good in school, so my dad allowed ME to purchase an 87 IROC-Z. I absolutely loved that car and respected it. Everyone said I was going to get in trouble, but I never did, no tickets.

So my suggestion to you, is stop trying to buy a new camaro or vette when you are still a child making 12 bucks an hour.

You could problably pick up a 99 Z28 or Trans Am for a great deal, still have a bad ass car for a 17 year old and this will be much more fiscally responsible. If you want to be treated like an adult who can handle a car like this, act like an adult.
+1

Tags
camaro, corvette, too-young