Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-11-2018, 11:41 PM   #1
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
The Realities of Direct Injection

Savagegeese produced and recently released a short video on GDI problems and solutions. These guys are not sponsored and do a great job providing unbiased information.

There is some good information for those who may still be on the fence regarding catch cans and 0W- oils and oil volatility. Including their benefits and/or drawbacks in GDI engines.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:45 PM   #2
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
i m wandering now if the fuel solution from one of the vendors addresses this issue?

Last edited by soceur77; 03-12-2018 at 06:47 AM.
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:03 AM   #3
Opus13
Opus13

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, Black
I already know about all this info except for oil volatility. Knowledge is a good thing, cool video, thanks.
Opus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:51 AM   #4
waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus13 View Post
I already know about all this info except for oil volatility. Knowledge is a good thing, cool video, thanks.
Roger that. I already have my mind made up on a CC. Going to be proactive to dramatically reduce the coking and varnishing from GDI.

I originally thought that the recent reveal that Chevy is endorsing the 0W- oils for all of the LT's was exciting news. Honestly, it makes a lot of sense for the LT5 with dual FI. However with the volatility of the lower viscosity oil revealed by the NOACK test, I'll stick with the 5W- for the LT4 on the street.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:08 AM   #5
Thelma - 2017 RS

Drives: 2017 RS LT2 Hyper Blue
I am new around here so forgive my basic question which I am sure has been discussed but seems relevant to the topic... Seafoam, if it is introduced in the air intake system does it do a suitable job in cleaning the back side of the valves? Just wondering if both the catch can and a regular cycle of any cleaner that can come in through the head would be suitable preventative maintenance.
Thelma - 2017 RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:48 AM   #6
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma - 2017 RS View Post
I am new around here so forgive my basic question which I am sure has been discussed but seems relevant to the topic... Seafoam, if it is introduced in the air intake system does it do a suitable job in cleaning the back side of the valves? Just wondering if both the catch can and a regular cycle of any cleaner that can come in through the head would be suitable preventative maintenance.
My experience with seafoam and its ability to fix valve coking is that it doesn't. As a preventative before coking happens however, I dont know. It sure smokes like hell and looks like somethings is happening though it did nothing to fix the issue I had. I did however find a product made by CRC that did fix the cold fire miss starts and cylinder misfire codes I was having on my daughter's Equinox. The car's MPGs also went up 3 to4 MPGs since performing that service with the CRC product.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:09 AM   #7
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma - 2017 RS View Post
A lot of people swear by Seafoam and other products. While these may work on a port injected system, they don’t work on the GDI systems. The fuel never contacts the back of the valve since it is sprayed “directly” into the cylinder. This is probably the main reason you’re seeking Ford using both systems on the new 5.0 Mustangs. If you do some research, you’ll find that manufacturers like BMW have problems with coking which require mechanical abraiding to remove.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
A lot of people swear by Seafoam and other products. While these may work on a port injected system, they don’t work on the GDI systems. The fuel never contacts the back of the valve since it is sprayed “directly” into the cylinder. This is probably the main reason you’re seeking Ford using both systems on the new 5.0 Mustangs. If you do some research, you’ll find that manufacturers like BMW have problems with coking which require mechanical abraiding to remove.
This is wrong information! The Seafoam that the other poster is talking about comes with a small hose you put between the intake boot and the throttle. So you are spraying the Seafoam directly into the throttle and intake manifold, and it will come in contact with the backs of the valves. There are other Seafoam products, but this one DEFINITELY comes in contact with the backs of the valves because you don't put it in the fuel, you spray it into the intake manifold through the throttle.

It's best to use it on a regular basis rather than wait for problems to occur. In addition, the LT1 engine comes with an oil separator built into the valve covers, so that adds some protection. Also, small displacement turbos tend to be more susceptible to this issue since there is more combustion in a smaller space (with a smaller amount of rings to seal in the combustion). That is also why so many cars with 2.0L turbos have had issues burning oil (like VW, Audi, BMW, Subaru, etc..) Some owners are complaining of going through a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so (in extreme cases). That is going to poop all over the backs of your valves. Direct injection only adds to the problem, it doesn't necessarily create it.

In any case, it is recommended to get a good catch can to help out as well. I have one, and it does catch oil, but not a ton (probably because I don't lose much oil to begin with). My car doesn't lose hardly any oil between oil changes. The dipstick is still pretty much on the full mark when I change oil (at about 5,000 miles). If you lose a quart of oil between oil changes, you would want a catch can and Seafoam the intake to clean the valves once in a while.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #9
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Great video. Very easy to understand. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
Thelma - 2017 RS

Drives: 2017 RS LT2 Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
This is wrong information! The Seafoam that the other poster is talking about comes with a small hose you put between the intake boot and the throttle. So you are spraying the Seafoam directly into the throttle and intake manifold, and it will come in contact with the backs of the valves. There are other Seafoam products, but this one DEFINITELY comes in contact with the backs of the valves because you don't put it in the fuel, you spray it into the intake manifold through the throttle.

It's best to use it on a regular basis rather than wait for problems to occur. In addition, the LT1 engine comes with an oil separator built into the valve covers, so that adds some protection. Also, small displacement turbos tend to be more susceptible to this issue since there is more combustion in a smaller space (with a smaller amount of rings to seal in the combustion). That is also why so many cars with 2.0L turbos have had issues burning oil (like VW, Audi, BMW, Subaru, etc..) Some owners are complaining of going through a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so (in extreme cases). That is going to poop all over the backs of your valves. Direct injection only adds to the problem, it doesn't necessarily create it.

In any case, it is recommended to get a good catch can to help out as well. I have one, and it does catch oil, but not a ton (probably because I don't lose much oil to begin with). My car doesn't lose hardly any oil between oil changes. The dipstick is still pretty much on the full mark when I change oil (at about 5,000 miles). If you lose a quart of oil between oil changes, you would want a catch can and Seafoam the intake to clean the valves once in a while.

Yes. The 'top engine cleaner' is what I was referring to. Thank you everyone for your input.
Thelma - 2017 RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
That's probably why mobil 1 came out with the brand new ESP oil.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
That's probably why mobil 1 came out with the brand new ESP oil.
Good observation.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #13
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10

Last edited by Badgerbimmer; 03-13-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #14
Frisbey

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
According to this http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-life/engines# the LT4 engine is dual injected port and direct. Based on Savage's video this is good.
Great article!

It shows the ZR1’s LT5 as dual injection,
But don’t see it on the LT4,
Unless I’m blind, which is possible
2000 - 02/06/18 | 4300 - 02/20/18 Built
3000 - 02/07/18 | 5000 - 03/08/18 At Dealer
3100 - 02/09/18 | Delivered
Frisbey is offline   Reply With Quote