Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 08-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
SilverRain

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z06
When can an order be cancelled?

I orders a Camaro 2LT a couple months ago. 3 days after I ordered it I went back to see if I could change it to a 2SS. The dealer said that the dealer allocation on SS models is different and I would have to wait a long time for an SS (they would not tell me how long). They also said GM already "accepted" the order and that the original order can not be cancelled. My scheduled production is coming up soon and is almost two months from the order date. My question is does anyone know when an order can be cancelled by? I don't think my dealer actually told me the true and just didn't want me to cancel the order. What are my alternatives now? What if I just didn't take the car and left the deposit. Then I could just buy another Camaro at a dealer that has a 2SS in stock already?
SilverRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
I think you can back out of it. You would lose your deposit though.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
From everything I've picked up about the ordering process as long as you are at 1100 you could change whatever you want about the order, though if it gets accepted into production I don't think you'd be able to change the model trim level from the LT to the SS as GM has pulled the pre-order to be put into production as a LT V6 model.

If you tell the dealer you want to cancel your order, then they'll probably just take the 2LT you ordered, let it get built & sell it on their lot. They wouldn't have any troble selling it.

Just tell your dealer you want to cancel your order because you decided you want the V8 2SS. They very well may not give you your deposit back though.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Do you have anything in writing concerning your deposit? Please see this thread...

Depending on circumstances, you may be out the deposit, but your loss would end there. They may even have to give it back if the car sells. Allocation of SS vs LT etc. is discussed a lot on this site, but I've never heard that they are different allocations. They are simply allocated a camaro and can choose whatever model to order. I think your dealer (LIKE MOST DEALERS) is shafting/lying to you. Find another one.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
rickerda

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
It all depends on the paperwork.
Does it say the deposit is non-refundable?
Is there a cancalation clause?
A promised delivery date?
rickerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
wow... so you ordered a 2lt and the order was accepted within 3 days? i would call on the dealer but i don't see any reason for the dealership not wanting to switch the order to a 2ss, as it would mean more money for them. but ya, if your order was picked up by gm right away and you decided you don't want it anymore, whether or not you lose your deposit depends on the contract.

there is nothing saying that you can't back out of your order tho. that was the reason for the deposit, if you back out on your first order the dealership is likely to keep your deposit and sell the car they ordered for you to someone else, win-win for the dealer, so i don't see them being upset about it

g/l on your order tho, if your gonna order a new car might as well get what you want right?
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjj View Post
wow... so you ordered a 2lt and the order was accepted within 3 days? i would call on the dealer
I ordered on a Sat and my order was accepted on Monday.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
chevyridinghigh
The Bowtie Is Back

Drives: 2010 Silver Camaro SS/RS -Blk Int.
I canceled my order after it was built and I got the full deposit back... No dealer should hold your money if it doesn't belong to them... The order is not complete until you receive the car.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
SilverRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickerda View Post
It all depends on the paperwork.
Does it say the deposit is non-refundable?
Is there a cancalation clause?
A promised delivery date?
The contract says it I don't pay within 7 days of delivery, then they can take the deposite so looks like I loose it. It was a CAD$1000 though so not too bad.
There is no cancellation clause in the contract.
There was no actual promise date stated but they indicated by the end of August. The production date in August 24 so I am supposed to get it by early Septemer.
I don't know if the order was officially accepted by GM after three days though because the dealer has not provided me an order number nor would they provide me the tracking information when I requested it.
Thanks for all the feedback, it will be helpful when I talk to the dealer next.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
SilverRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjj View Post
wow... so you ordered a 2lt and the order was accepted within 3 days? i would call on the dealer but i don't see any reason for the dealership not wanting to switch the order to a 2ss, as it would mean more money for them. but ya, if your order was picked up by gm right away and you decided you don't want it anymore, whether or not you lose your deposit depends on the contract.

there is nothing saying that you can't back out of your order tho. that was the reason for the deposit, if you back out on your first order the dealership is likely to keep your deposit and sell the car they ordered for you to someone else, win-win for the dealer, so i don't see them being upset about it

g/l on your order tho, if your gonna order a new car might as well get what you want right?
I think the reason why the dealer didn't want to change the order is because maybe they were worried I would cancel and then buy another car from another dealer or something. Here in Canada I bought the 2LT just after a price increase. The cost to the dealer barely went up but the price increased so that the margin on the car went from 10% to 12%. Yet if you looked at the 2SS, the price did not go up yet so the margin was still 10%. I did the math and at the time of purchase the profit on the 2SS was only about $130 more than the 2LT I bought. So the dealer wouldn't make much more money off a 2SS anyways. And if the order was actually accepted and was going to be producted, the dealer did not want to take the 2Lt on their inventory to sell.
Anyways, I will talk to the dealer but most likely I will just loose my deposit and I will buy the one I want from another dealer