The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #15
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
GM's attempts at mid-engine/rear engine cars have not always been historically successful!
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:50 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
And they got mad over ditching the round taillights for the C7. Before that they complained about the loss of the retractable headlights on the C6.

They will get over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
Exactly what I was about to say.
This is a couple orders of magnitude different than front & rear lighting though.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #17
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
This is a couple orders of magnitude different than front & rear lighting though.

True. But sooner or later the definition of a Corvette was going to change. Mid-engined, hybrid, full electric, AWD, etc.

Tradition has its place, but it cannot hold a vehicle back from progress. As long as I still see Corvette in the C8, then it is still a Corvette even if some design elements or where the engine is mounted changes.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #18
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Not a fan of a mid engine vette at all but it will make the other gens hold more value for purists.

I viewed the vette forums over the years and a bigger bunch of azzhats couldn't be found. The things they said about fifth gen Camaros are the most moronic upchuck i've ever heard. Boxy, sluggish, slow, etc.
I've got a back seat so suck it Gus.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #19
COmaro

Drives: Many
Mid-engine cars *can* be faster around racetrack, unfortunately, they also have a tendency to lift-oversteer. Given the average level of Corvette drivers I see on the street (98% of Corvettes never see a racetrack), there are going to be a *lot* of wrecked C8's. Nannies can only do so much, and then you have the people who think they are awesome and turn off the nannies.

It isn't going to be pretty. Joe gets his C8, gets a little hot on the on ramp, lifts off the throttle, boom, there goes the guardrail. Especially when it is raining, or cold, or the tires are a little worn.

Stay tuned for people threatening to sue GM for producing a car with "unsafe" handling. They'll get a thread going on the 'Vette forum and make it a class action suit!

You heard it here first.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #20
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I've driven a lot of Mid Engined cars and have never had one lift-oversteer on me. Now a rear engined Porsche 911 is a whole nuther ball game
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #21
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I had a 14 Z51 and a 16 Z06. The C7 was an amazing car. I've loved Corvettes my entire life, and I just think the 7th Gen was perfect balance, amazingly fast and...I'm not sure it needed to change to a mid engine. I'll see what it's like, however I'm not a fan of such a basic change to the design of the car.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:42 PM   #22
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I've driven a lot of Mid Engined cars and have never had one lift-oversteer on me. Now a rear engined Porsche 911 is a whole nuther ball game
It wasn't a Porsche, however when I was in high school I was driving a VW Bug around a 25mph 90 degree turn (farm road) with water running down the apex. It's interesting when you drop throttle a car to do a 360 on a corner and and up driving down the road as though nothing happened.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #23
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i look at a couple corvette forums on occasion. surprised me they don't usually have nice things to say about the Camaro.