Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 11-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #15
KyWildcats
Z Bowman

Drives: 2010 2SS (SOLD), 2016 2SS, 2007 Z71
sledge whats the best way to put the car on 4 jack stands?

2010 2SS/RS A6 (sold)Mods: Borla Atak Catback, Stainless Power 1 7/8 Headers, TSP VVT-3 Cam, 3200 Yank Stall, CAI Inake, Ported TB, 18" MT ET STREETS
KyWildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #16
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWildcats View Post
For front: use magpad+floor jack on front pinch welds to lift up and put jack stands
For rear: find the structural beam underneath as highlighted in the video by Sledge and use floor jack there to lift the rear and put jack stands.
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #17
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM-FIFTY View Post
For front: use magpad+floor jack on front pinch welds to lift up and put jack stands
For rear: find the structural beam underneath as highlighted in the video by Sledge and use floor jack there to lift the rear and put jack stands.
I think he was asking about the order of things. If you jack the front, it lifts the rear of that side as well. You very well cant go jack the other front side next or you'll rock the whole car over. I assume you have to do both rears then both fronts OR one side of the car at a time

My question is why be so careful with the pinch welds and use the zl1 magpad only to put it on a mostly flat jack stand? Once you transfer it to the jack stand isnt the stress on that pinch weld the same as if you never used a magpad?

I have my winter tires sitting in my garage right now and I'm going to put them on soon but don't want to mess anything up
Old 11-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #18
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWildcats View Post
I use my floor jack to life the fronts first and put each side on jack stands. I life the rear from the main structural point and put the car stands at the pinch welds. I always keep my floor jack on the read structural part and place wood blocks as a back up near the front stands.

You can never to to overly safe when jacking a car up.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #19
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capisce View Post
I think he was asking about the order of things. If you jack the front, it lifts the rear of that side as well. You very well cant go jack the other front side next or you'll rock the whole car over. I assume you have to do both rears then both fronts OR one side of the car at a time

My question is why be so careful with the pinch welds and use the zl1 magpad only to put it on a mostly flat jack stand? Once you transfer it to the jack stand isnt the stress on that pinch weld the same as if you never used a magpad?

I have my winter tires sitting in my garage right now and I'm going to put them on soon but don't want to mess anything up
It's hard to do this all without putting strain on some parts of the pinch welds. unless you have a lift. I got by the front as that is where the weight is at and get that up first on my stands. the body rigidity os really good and the rear lift with the fronts. Is this the right way... I am not 100% sure, but it is what i do. I follow up the back side from the main jack point I outline and get the car stable and sturdy on stands.

I stopped using pucks and or mag pads. I simply fear them and do not trust them much. I'd rather have metal on metal.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #20
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
I stopped using pucks and or mag pads. I simply fear them and do not trust them much. I'd rather have metal on metal.
Sledge - so how are you lifting the front if no more mag pad, floor jack's top round part straight up against the pinch weld?
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #21
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Com69 View Post
It really depends on the size of the pads on the lift. We have 3 lifts at the shop and the pads are a too wide for the cut-outs. If we didn't use something, they would squish my car! We made our own protectors out of some super-strut we had laying around.

Not all lifts have the same pads, just check, then double check, that when positioned, they aren't going to hit the rockers before getting to the recessed pinch welds.
Good job with your videos. We see all types of Damage from improperly lifted and supported cars. Important safety note: Always have one saftey jack stand / or floor jack on the side you are working on.

It appears to me that your jack is slightly making contact with the bottom of the rocker panel cover as you are lifting it. Something to be cautious about.

We use pucks and pinch weld supports along with the flats on all of our 4 post lifts.
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #22
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
Since there is only one pinch weld available on the verts, how are people lifting and supporting the verts?
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #23
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM-FIFTY View Post
Sledge - so how are you lifting the front if no more mag pad, floor jack's top round part straight up against the pinch weld?
I use the ZL1 medal pinch weld piece on a inset jack. so the medal piece can't slip while lifting the car.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:55 PM   #24
stook2001

Drives: 99 M3, 04 STi, 16 2SS
It seems common to use grooved pucks on the jack to protect the pinch welds. Other than it being magnetic, what makes the ZL1 pinch weld adapter a better option? If you use care while jacking and use jack stands - why use the more spendy ZL1 adapter?

Nice video by the way! Glad I watched it since I very well might have used one of the aluminum components as a jacking point at some point in the future.
stook2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #25
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Nice job on the video!

Why is it that the jackstands don't damage the pinch welds?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #26
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quick question:

I'm looking to swap my wheels and tires out for winter. Can I just use the pinch welds to jack the car up to do the quick swap per corner or am I really putting something at risk here?
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #27
Gefiltefish

Drives: '17 1SS, HB 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Quick question:

I'm looking to swap my wheels and tires out for winter. Can I just use the pinch welds to jack the car up to do the quick swap per corner or am I really putting something at risk here?
I just did my winter swap this past weekend. Used the ZL1 pinch weld with "puck" and lifted each side on the pinch weld right under the door seam. It lifted the front and rear high enough that I could swap both front and rear wheels.
Gefiltefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #28
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Tagged