Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #1
Dave Karl

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Conv.
Supercharger replacement question

Can anyone here tell me if the supercharger replacement, part number 12670278 has the upgraded solid isolator in it?
Dave Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:18 AM   #2
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
my replaced sc had the new spring in it. take your belt off and spin the hub back and forth if you feel the spring bounce, then no
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:10 AM   #3
okjuvkam

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
No, mine was replaced with that partnumber march 2020
It had this pringloaded isolator packed with grease when i opened it in december

Name:  Skjermbilde 2021-12-29 150558.png
Views: 452
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  Isolator1.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  35.1 KB

Ole Kristian
2012 ZL1 #428
okjuvkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
diddies

Drives: 2013 ZL1
When I had mine replaced 2 years ago, it was replaced with a spring-loaded isolator. I immediately the snout off when I got home and changed it. I asked the dealer to change it and they wouldn't.
diddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
IIRC, the original coupler was spring-loaded and not greased.
Eaton then changed the coupler to a solid one after all the complaints.
Then later on Eaton changed back to a spring loaded version that was packed with grease to help deaden the sound.

No I have no dates for each change.

The coupler was spring-loaded to absorb some of the gear chatter caused by the lobes as they spin up and down.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:28 PM   #6
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
No. GM in their infinite wisdom will replace your blower with another spring isolator.

Option 1: Sweet talk the tech at the dealer to put in a new solid isolator.
Option 2: Have the dealer put in a blower with shitty isolator and change it yourself when you get home. It's not difficult. I did it in less than 3 hours by myself.

Of note, I've read most guys will get way fewer miles out of the blower/spring isolator after replacement than they did with the factory blower/spring isolator. My point is that it will happen again but sooner with the new spring isolator.
2014 ZL1 M6: Roto Fab Intake, LS3 TB, Long Tube Headers, NPP, Mild 2 Wild, JMS BAP, SMG aux pump, ID 1050X Injectors, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, 10.5" DSX Lower Pulley, Killer Chiller, Tuned by Ted at JRE, Pedders XA Extreme coilovers, Mickey Thompson Street S/S on Weld S71s
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Just replaced mine....

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598502
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:31 PM   #8
Dave Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
No. GM in their infinite wisdom will replace your blower with another spring isolator.

Option 1: Sweet talk the tech at the dealer to put in a new solid isolator.
Option 2: Have the dealer put in a blower with shitty isolator and change it yourself when you get home. It's not difficult. I did it in less than 3 hours by myself.

Of note, I've read most guys will get way fewer miles out of the blower/spring isolator after replacement than they did with the factory blower/spring isolator. My point is that it will happen again but sooner with the new spring isolator.
Thanks for the info. I tried sweet talking the dealer to put a new solid isolator in but they said they couldn't do it. You said it's easy to do. Don't you have to pull the complete supercharger off to get at the snout bolts or can you just loosen it and pry it up.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:30 PM   #9
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Not sure of now, but in the early days of the SC coupler failures, the entire was replaced as it was a single replaceable unit made by and sent back to Eaton as they made the unit.

Also, the original TSB notice for the 'rattle' issues, If you had already replaced the coupler, GM would reimburse you for the cost.

Again, no idea if that offer is still available.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #10
Shodown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karl View Post
Thanks for the info. I tried sweet talking the dealer to put a new solid isolator in but they said they couldn't do it. You said it's easy to do. Don't you have to pull the complete supercharger off to get at the snout bolts or can you just loosen it and pry it up.
Yes the blower has to be completely removed. You might be able to pry off the snout by just prying it up, but if you can do that it's much easier to simply pull the whole SC out.

The most difficult part is getting the back 4 bolts of the SC lid because they are tucked way back under the cowl. However, you could drill holes for easier access (the plastic shroud covers them back up).

Don't over torque the blower bolts. That happens a lot because the manual calls for the torque specs in in/lbs not ft/lbs.
2014 ZL1 M6: Roto Fab Intake, LS3 TB, Long Tube Headers, NPP, Mild 2 Wild, JMS BAP, SMG aux pump, ID 1050X Injectors, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, 10.5" DSX Lower Pulley, Killer Chiller, Tuned by Ted at JRE, Pedders XA Extreme coilovers, Mickey Thompson Street S/S on Weld S71s
Old 01-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #11
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Only the first 1.5 years were replaced with the solid isolator. Basically the price for GM was much higher. So they made the decision to just pack the hell out of the spring with grease. I had mine done in 2012, when the TSB first came out so mine is solid.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #12
Dave Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
Yes the blower has to be completely removed. You might be able to pry off the snout by just prying it up, but if you can do that it's much easier to simply pull the whole SC out.

The most difficult part is getting the back 4 bolts of the SC lid because they are tucked way back under the cowl. However, you could drill holes for easier access (the plastic shroud covers them back up).

Don't over torque the blower bolts. That happens a lot because the manual calls for the torque specs in in/lbs not ft/lbs.
So this also means all new gaskets or gasket kit????
Old 01-04-2022, 03:56 PM   #13
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Only the first 1.5 years were replaced with the solid isolator. Basically the price for GM was much higher. So they made the decision to just pack the hell out of the spring with grease. I had mine done in 2012, when the TSB first came out so mine is solid.
Man o man that's just a really nice color you picked for your Camaro!! Awesome bro!! Very cool in the sun..
Old 01-04-2022, 09:54 PM   #14
Shodown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karl View Post
So this also means all new gaskets or gasket kit????
No. It's just black RTV between the snout and blower body. You could replace the gasket at the throttle body but I reused mine with no issues.