Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-21-2021, 02:10 PM   #1
LA_LT1

Drives: Chevy Camaro LT1, BMW M3
How does the LT1 do in snow with the all-seasons?

I'm thinking of taking my LT1 with the 245 all seasons skiing this season.

Is the car drivable in a few inches of snow? Where I go gets plowed but the there may be some snow and ice. I'd love to take the Camaro but I don't want to be a moron and get stuck.

Curious to see if anyone has experience driving in light/moderate snow conditions with this set up.
LA_LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
I don't drive in the snow, because it doesn't snow here. But it is bad enough just trying to drive the LT1 in the rain. Can it be done? Absolutely. Do I want to? Not at all, I don't enjoy having to feather the throttle even more so than in dry conditions.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
Andy2002a

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I don't drive in the snow, because it doesn't snow here. But it is bad enough just trying to drive the LT1 in the rain. Can it be done? Absolutely. Do I want to? Not at all, I don't enjoy having to feather the throttle even more so than in dry conditions.
What’s the problem with driving it in the rain?
Andy2002a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2002a View Post
What’s the problem with driving it in the rain?
The tires spin the instant I require anything more than mild acceleration, regardless of traction mode. When its raining and im caught out there in the LT1, I am forced to drive like that very old person that you get mad at and overpass because they are driving under the speed limit. I rather use the daily if I know the weather is going to suck. I dont enjoy my LT1 anywhere near as much in bad weather. It is neutered in bad weather in my opinion. Dont get me wrong, these cars drive fantastic in the rain when compared to 4th gen fbodys or the older stangs, but I feel like the risk just ain't worth the reward trying to drive the LT1 in bad weather. All the other clear days and nights it's LT1 time.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
johnnyride

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS Shock Vert
I used to drive my IROC in the 80's with the standard tires. It's not optimal. you just need to get used to it.

But - low profile tires are not designed for the snow. Good snow tires are softer and tend to be taller and narrower. If you need to drive in the snow, find a set of steelies or base model 18s on eBay and buy and run 18 inch snow tires.

I actually do that with my Chevy Cruze winter car. I pull the 18" LTZ wheels and tires and run 16 inch OEM wheels with snows.
johnnyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
The tires spin the instant I require anything more than mild acceleration, regardless of traction mode. When its raining and im caught out there in the LT1, I am forced to drive like that very old person that you get mad at and overpass because they are driving under the speed limit. I rather use the daily if I know the weather is going to suck. I dont enjoy my LT1 anywhere near as much in bad weather. It is neutered in bad weather in my opinion. Dont get me wrong, these cars drive fantastic in the rain when compared to 4th gen fbodys or the older stangs, but I feel like the risk just ain't worth the reward trying to drive the LT1 in bad weather. All the other clear days and nights it's LT1 time.
You need proper daily tires such as the Michelin PS4S or the Conti ECS. My PS4S tires in the rain are like other summer tires in the dry, I have absolute confidence and outstanding grip.

(For the record, I did drive through nasty downpours on my OEM runflat Goodyears, which was a total pucker experience. Ended up doing 30-35 mph in the right lane with my hazards on, and every single SUV zooming by at 60-70... it's all in the tires.)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:07 PM   #7
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I wouldn’t think that it’s ideal, but It certainly can be done. Throw a couple 40lb bags of sand and a shovel in the trunk and head out. I’d be willing to bet that the Camaro handles much better in the snow than most rear wheel cars I daily drove back in the day.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:18 PM   #8
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
I've switched from the runcrap tires to normal all-seasons on my LT1 and plan to drive it under almost any situation this winter (short of heavy snow that I wouldn't drive in anyway).

In my limited experience last winter, it handled fine when the mode set to Ice/Snow.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I live in snow country and if I was ever going to consider driving my Camaro in the snow, I wouldn't do it with anything less then dedicated snow tires. Not even all seasons. I'd do what @Hotlap does.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:35 PM   #10
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
A simple trick that applies equally to all generations of F bodies. If you drive it on the snow all seasons at a minimum. If you know snow is coming, fill the tank all the way and put a nice tool box, like 60-80 pound range in the trunk(securely) over the rear tires. You're welcome, it's not that hard really.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #11
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
“more than mild acceleration”? That’s all on you.

I drove my 1LE home 900 miles in a major rain storm with the system set to wet/snow. So bad that I saw the system warning “no detectable traction” when it flash dumped as I was going 75 mph. I could feel the car float and then slowed to 55 mph and continued with no issues. 285 front, 305 rear summer only track tires. I drove every day all summer on those tires.

I also drove 41,000 miles in 2016 and 2018 SSes. Half that on the 245 front, 275 rear summer only performance tires. No problem.

I would drive the LT1 in light snow with 245 all season tires with no problem. That is the intent of those tires on that model. …like the I4 and V6 guys

In the winter, I changed to winter tires, of the OE size, for all three. Again no trouble. -4500 density altitude so it makes way more power. I leave it in sport unless it’s snowing hard.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:56 PM   #12
10mm
Account Suspended

Drives: My wife nuts...
In the 70-80's all we had to drive was rear drive, non traction control vehicles.
I got around fine in 3+inches of snow.
Imagine a dedicated slow tire with snow ice setting and abs.
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #13
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_LT1 View Post
I'm thinking of taking my LT1 with the 245 all seasons skiing this season.

Is the car drivable in a few inches of snow? Where I go gets plowed but the there may be some snow and ice. I'd love to take the Camaro but I don't want to be a moron and get stuck.

Curious to see if anyone has experience driving in light/moderate snow conditions with this set up.
When I had a GTO, snow would get packed up inside the wheel well and would make it hard to navigate. Granted, this was on my parents' 1/4 mile driveway (concrete) which just had a blanket of snow that hadn't been driven on. I'd personally see about renting something with 4 wheel drive.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #14
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:

Worse part IMO is that all the "wrong-wheel drive" guys seem to know that they have an advantage and come out of the woodworks. When I had my GTO I had a guy in an Eclipse take me off the line because I didn't want to spin. Probably one of the few times that wrong-wheel drive has a slight advantage.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote