Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-19-2021, 09:39 PM   #1
Camaro23$$

Drives: 2013 ZL1 & 2012 2SS
5th Gen VS 6th Gen? What’s Your Fav?

Just like the title says. What is your favorite Gen of Camaro between the 5th Gen and 6th? And what do you like better about your choice in comparison to the other! Thinking about getting a 6th Gen also to go along with my 5th

2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3, GPI SS1 Cam, GPI Cam Kit, LS9 Head Gasket, Upgraded Valley Cover, Upgraded Crank Bolt, Lifter Trays, CHE Trunnion Kit, BTR Platinum Valve Springs, GPI Hardened Push Rods, GPI Phase Limiter, Upgraded Lifters, Corsa Dual Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, Headers.
Camaro23$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:46 PM   #2
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
I don’t know about the 6th gen, but I’ve owned a 3rd gen and a 5th zl1. I totally rebuilt a family owned 3rd gen t top. That thing was really cool. High school dream car. 355 200 shot of nitrous pretty cool. Fast old school motor. My 13 zl1 convertible has 750 hp to the wheel but don’t feel as fast is that 3rd gen. Maybe because it’s a convertible and heavy as hell with new technology in the suspension. But nothing beats that Lsa built motor just cruising around with all the comfort.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:00 PM   #3
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
The 5th and 6th gens are such completely different animals. I can’t badmouth either of them. This is how I look at them stock for stock…
the 6th gen wins on performance…quicker, lighter, more nimble, and handles like a sports car.
the 5th gen wins on looks (damn near perfect in my opinion), interior styling, muscle car feel, more classic throwback Camaro design, and it’s a very buildable/upgradeable platform with a lot of potential.
I’m more comfortable in my ability to make the 5th gen perform as good as the 6th than I am in my ability to make the 6th gen look as good as the 5th. All just my opinion of course.
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:15 PM   #4
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
both are awesome cars and way way better than that pos ford offer.
i've had two gen5's and loved them both.
driving the gen6 is a little better. more of everything tbh. handling and road holding is a lot better. very little cowl shake when hitting bumps.
more creature comforts in the gen6. many shame the 8 speed auto but i say it's incredible.
only downside is the gen6 is a little smaller inside.
well worth the upgrade imho. very very happy with mine and having everything you could ever want in a car i doubt this one will ever be sold. hand it down to one of my sons in about 10 years time

for me just the magneride and proper climate control is worth the upgrade on it's own.
oh and the active exhaust. so nice to have.when out with the wife can have it nice and quiet
also the interior is much nicer. imho the gen6 camaro is as perfect a car you could ever wish for.

Old 11-19-2021, 11:29 PM   #5
Camaro23$$

Drives: 2013 ZL1 & 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 View Post
I don’t know about the 6th gen, but I’ve owned a 3rd gen and a 5th zl1. I totally rebuilt a family owned 3rd gen t top. That thing was really cool. High school dream car. 355 200 shot of nitrous pretty cool. Fast old school motor. My 13 zl1 convertible has 750 hp to the wheel but don’t feel as fast is that 3rd gen. Maybe because it’s a convertible and heavy as hell with new technology in the suspension. But nothing beats that Lsa built motor just cruising around with all the comfort.
I had a 3rd gen T-top back in the day. I loved those cars too. Very fun and sexy in its own right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSammy View Post
The 5th and 6th gens are such completely different animals. I can’t badmouth either of them. This is how I look at them stock for stock…
the 6th gen wins on performance…quicker, lighter, more nimble, and handles like a sports car.
the 5th gen wins on looks (damn near perfect in my opinion), interior styling, muscle car feel, more classic throwback Camaro design, and it’s a very buildable/upgradeable platform with a lot of potential.
I’m more comfortable in my ability to make the 5th gen perform as good as the 6th than I am in my ability to make the 6th gen look as good as the 5th. All just my opinion of course.
Definitely not looking to badmouth any of them but your answer was exactly what I was looking for. Pros and cons and what people liked better about each one. Very helpful so thank you! I haven’t driven a 6 gen yet. But I agree I think I like the looks of the 5th gen just a bit more. Looks meaner for sure. The 6 gen looks a little more slender and aerodynamic if that make sense? Love the answer so thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
both are awesome cars and way way better than that pos ford offer.
i've had two gen5's and loved them both.
driving the gen6 is a little better. more of everything tbh. handling and road holding is a lot better. very little cowl shake when hitting bumps.
more creature comforts in the gen6. many shame the 8 speed auto but i say it's incredible.
only downside is the gen6 is a little smaller inside.
well worth the upgrade imho. very very happy with mine and having everything you could ever want in a car i doubt this one will ever be sold. hand it down to one of my sons in about 10 years time

for me just the magneride and proper climate control is worth the upgrade on it's own.
oh and the active exhaust. so nice to have.when out with the wife can have it nice and quiet
also the interior is much nicer. imho the gen6 camaro is as perfect a car you could ever wish for.

Dang man thank you for all that info! Definitely sounds like a sweet ride! I’m gonna have to go test drive one. That is one thing I dont like about my 5 gen is the amenities in comparison to the 6th gen. Love it thank you!

2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3, GPI SS1 Cam, GPI Cam Kit, LS9 Head Gasket, Upgraded Valley Cover, Upgraded Crank Bolt, Lifter Trays, CHE Trunnion Kit, BTR Platinum Valve Springs, GPI Hardened Push Rods, GPI Phase Limiter, Upgraded Lifters, Corsa Dual Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, Headers.
Camaro23$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:41 PM   #6
Camaro fanboy

one thing i drove 300 miles in my gen5 to trade it. soon as i got in my new car i was blown away how more nimble it felt. instant throttle reaction aswell.
well worth the extra outlay imho. never having to mess with the heating and aircon settings is a blessing. leave it on 20c and that's it.
tbh cant think of a bad thing to say about me new car. even gives almost 30 mpg on a run.
BEST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:11 AM   #7
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Truer words could not have been spoken(or typed).
Old 11-20-2021, 07:20 AM   #8
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
The 6th gen is a more refined car, my 5th gen is like a sledgehammer, but it stirs my soul. I've daily driven it since I got it and still can't walk away without looking back and admiring it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #9
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Gotta weigh in on this one. I like both 5th and 6th gens, and having worked for GM and managing the prototype shops in Warren MI, I understand the the improvements of the 6th Gen's. 6th gens have a different structural platform:
"General Motors engineers created a brand-new platform which was designed to be light and compact, capable of handling both rear and all wheel drive configurations and having a near 50/50 weight distribution".
That being said, both Gen's look great stock, and even better with the many available aftermarket mods. My 5th gen never fails to get looks and comments, and yeah She's a heavier beast but with suspension mods and gobs of power adders, she is just fine. Took her out yesterday for a final RIP before storing for the winter, nothing like 700 HP and zero traction on a cold day in Michigan - never fails to scare the crap out of me when you are going sideways.
And, my other favorite is the 2nd Gen's, with a classic body style. Built that one for my Bro.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:42 AM   #10
floyd haughton

Drives: 2010victoryred2lt
love my 5th gen dd always a smile and still get compliments
floyd haughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Couldn't have said it better my self!! Great analogy. Love my 5th gen!!

Name:  IMG_1994.JPG
Views: 897
Size:  360.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1995.JPG
Views: 890
Size:  414.0 KB
Old 11-20-2021, 08:25 AM   #12
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Perfect way to put it.
I love the 5th Gen looks. I have loved them since the first time I saw the prototype in person in the fall of 2007. I was about 20 then and wanted one real bad when they hit the streets for real in 2009. I had to wait a while to get ahead some in life before I could get into one of my own. Now that I have it and it’s very close to paid for I’m going to buy another 5th Gen. They are as close to perfect as you can ask for in one complete package in my eyes. The 6ths are really bad ass cars in the performance area. I love what GM has done to make them stupid capable in most all aspects of street/motorsports use. That said, I don’t like the looks as much the 5th Gen. I also don’t care for the direct injection on the LT engines. I feel the like the 5th gens, though heavier are built like a tank in their own way, they are stupid reliable and durable for the most part. The 6th have the direct injection and all the 8 speed problems which detract some more for me as well.
All that said, I would take a 5th first, and a pre refresh 6th second over any of the other offerings Detroit has. I do like the later challengers a good bit, but they don’t come close to these Camaros in my book.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #13
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
What he said.

I love the aesthetics of my early Gen 5 too much to swap out. It's already had the suspension swapped out and I can add more power if I want, but the looks are *sexy*
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:56 AM   #14
Camaro fanboy

both great cars. just make sure to stay well away from that s550 junk. terrible cars.
sooner take the bus