Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Pulley combinations and low side support

I am awaiting delivery of the following parts:

Ported (stock) blower (Jokerz)
2" LT headers (no cats, crushed pipe delete, into stock NPP)
RF Big Gulp
Nick Williams TB
Elite CC
Cordes expansion tank
NGK LTRIX7 plugs
14% ATI pulley

I have a couple of questions I would appreciate you guys to weigh in on:

(1) Those of you with lower and upper pulley mods; why not a 20% lower as opposed to a lower and upper swap?

(2) If I choose a 20% pulley, will a JMS low side booster support a Reliable supply of fuel?

(3) What are your thoughts on ceramic coating my headers - worth the money or not? Do I need to send them to Swain Tech or is a west coast coater as good as any?

(4) Should I run a wide band gauge? And if so, what do you think about the nGuage? Would it be practical for a DD car that will probably see the 1320 once or twice in its lifetime?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Happy Holidays.
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Header coating is definitely worth it. I went with the Jet Hot 2800F coating and my headers hardly get hot at all. With the stock manifolds, opening the hood after a drive released a ton of heat in the engine bay, with the Kooks 2" headers and Jet Hot coating, it barely feels warm. I can put my hands within 2" of the headers now right after driving the car and they just feel warm.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLe View Post
I am awaiting delivery of the following parts:

Ported (stock) blower (Jokerz)
2" LT headers (no cats, crushed pipe delete, into stock NPP)
RF Big Gulp
Nick Williams TB
Elite CC
Cordes expansion tank
NGK LTRIX7 plugs
14% ATI pulley

I have a couple of questions I would appreciate you guys to weigh in on:

(1) Those of you with lower and upper pulley mods; why not a 20% lower as opposed to a lower and upper swap?

(2) If I choose a 20% pulley, will a JMS low side booster support a Reliable supply of fuel?

(3) What are your thoughts on ceramic coating my headers - worth the money or not? Do I need to send them to Swain Tech or is a west coast coater as good as any?

(4) Should I run a wide band gauge? And if so, what do you think about the nGuage? Would it be practical for a DD car that will probably see the 1320 once or twice in its lifetime?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Happy Holidays.

Heat/heatsoak is going to be a problem overdriving the stock blower 20%. Most don't recommend going past 15% and neither would I. My car was a dog in summer with pulley combo. Your going to run out of fuel high side before low side is an issue which only a cam is going to fix. About 800 is when you'll need to go with a low side ans of course much earlier running ethanol.
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
MartinLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Header coating is definitely worth it. I went with the Jet Hot 2800F coating and my headers hardly get hot at all. With the stock manifolds, opening the hood after a drive released a ton of heat in the engine bay, with the Kooks 2" headers and Jet Hot coating, it barely feels warm. I can put my hands within 2" of the headers now right after driving the car and they just feel warm.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Heat/heatsoak is going to be a problem overdriving the stock blower 20%. Most don't recommend going past 15% and neither would I. My car was a dog in summer with pulley combo. Your going to run out of fuel high side before low side is an issue which only a cam is going to fix. About 800 is when you'll need to go with a low side ans of course much earlier running ethanol.
Thank you.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Agree with all of the above. Coating headers is worth the price; reduced temps under hood, quicker cool down, extends life of headers. Spinning the lower pulley at 20 may run in to heating issues and reduced power. You will feel plenty of low end pull with at 14-18.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
MartinLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
Agree with all of the above. Coating headers is worth the price; reduced temps under hood, quicker cool down, extends life of headers. Spinning the lower pulley at 20 may run in to heating issues and reduced power. You will feel plenty of low end pull with at 14-18.
You are running an 18% lower. What's the big difference of +2%? Is it because of my ported blower?
Old 12-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #7
Z OH 6

18% is the max for the stock blower before it becomes a heat pump. Above 15% and additional cooling capacity is probably best.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
MartinLe

Are we talking about heat issues just driving around sedately or only pushing the car?
Old 12-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #9
Z OH 6

Quote:
Are we talking about heat issues just driving around sedately or only pushing the car?
Pushing the car.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #10
MartinLe

So, if I don’t do back to back pulls, I should be ok with a 20% pulley? I do not flog my car often and never continually. Maybe a roll from 70 and then a sedate continuation to where I’m going. Maybe a hard push through second gear, getting on the freeway, and back to normal driving. Shouldn’t I be able to push the blower a little harder under these circumstances?
Old 12-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
18% is the max for the stock blower before it becomes a heat pump. Above 15% and additional cooling capacity is probably best.
^This^
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #12
Z OH 6

Quote:
So, if I don’t do back to back pulls, I should be ok with a 20% pulley? I do not flog my car often and never continually. Maybe a roll from 70 and then a sedate continuation to where I’m going. Maybe a hard push through second gear, getting on the freeway, and back to normal driving. Shouldn’t I be able to push the blower a little harder under these circumstances?
Why bother even trying to go that far when the safe limits are known? If you want more, just go with a Maggie 2650R. 18% is really stretching that blower as far as you can go safely.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #13
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:

Its just not worth it, the bricks cant keep the blower cool. Youll notice this much more as IAT's rise in summer heat.
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #14
MartinLe

Quote:
Why bother even trying to go that far when the safe limits are known? If you want more, just go with a Maggie 2650R. 18% is really stretching that blower as far as you can go safely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Its just not worth it, the bricks cant keep the blower cool. Youll notice this much more as IAT's rise in summer heat.

All right, fellas - 18% it is. Thanks for all your kind but firm advice. It is my troublesome nature to try and make the wheel just a little bit rounder!

Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate it.