The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 06-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
New NHL team: Las Vegas Golden Knights

I want to hear some feedback from some NHL fans with regards to the NHL expanding to Las Vegas. I think it's a horrible idea and will result similarly to the Arizona Coyotes and Florida Panthers franchises. I can't see how there is a large market for professional hockey in Vegas but maybe I'm wrong.
As a Canadian who thoroughly enjoys the game I'm annoyed by Gary Bettman and his efforts to push the game in the southern US. Quebec City and the GTA (greater Toronto area) could easily support a team but have been ignored. I thought if Vegas was given a team so would Quebec city but I haven't read anything about the NHL creating two new teams. That means an NHL with 31 teams.
There's a good reason Bettman gets booed every year when he presents the cup.

Last edited by detamble13; 06-07-2018 at 08:15 AM.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quebec deserves it. Their fans deserve it. Just because one is from the province, that doesn't mean one loves the Habs.

Black Knights? That's the name? Jeez. That would be a borderline cheesy name for a High School team. Blackjacks would be better. An Ace, a King, and a blackjack on the emblem. A small red and black '21' superimposed over a blackjack hand of '21' on each shoulder. The blackjack could be stylized to underline the name on the chest, too. Red and black unis. It would be too easy.

Instead it will probably end up looking like the London Knights' squirts-affiliate team, but with worse uniforms. Cue the Martin Lawrence jokes.

Now, 'Nordiques'. That's a great name, and a great uni.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
The west coast has a good fan base. The southern USA doesn't care about it. Dallas is the exception. Gary Bettman is an idiot anyway. It's a sweet heart sport now....the Blue Jays have had better punch ups this year then the whole NHL. If it doesn't work in Phoenix. ...or Atlanta.....why would it work in Las Vegas? Florida's teams are also doing not that great for attendence . It's a no hit no fighting gentleman's league. Sure it's fast but it's lost alot of the intensity that came with tough physical play. Now every good hit is a suspension. Screw you Bettman.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
detamble13

Nothing has been officially announced but several credible sources are reporting that the Las Vegas Black Knights will be a team for the 2017/18 season. I do like your idea for their team logo Chris but the fact that Las Vegas is even getting a team really ticks me off.
I am surprised how well Dallas supports their hockey team but I think they're a good city for sports in general.
The game has changed but it's still the fastest, most exciting professional sport. Unfortunately it's commissioned by a moron.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I've heard that one of the biggest problems with pro sports in Las Vegas is tourists. A new team attracts a lot of buzz and excitement from tourists. Locals don't really want to spend their evenings with out of towners during their time off, so they rapidly lose interest in going to the games. And after a few seasons, the novelty wears off and tourist attendance drops at the games. Since there is a very limited local fanbase, the team is forced to either move or fold.

I don't see why an NHL team in Vegas would be any better at breaking that pattern than any of the other failed teams they've had in other sports. Off the top of my head, I can probably think of a half dozen other cities that would have better long term success than Las Vegas.

Quebec City certainly deserves to have a team again. They'll probably get the 2nd expansion team, but with Bettman you never know.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I think it is a Good idea, based on the Fact that they have a Billionaire Majority Owner and Billionaire partners, an Arena in place. Vegas has recovered from the recession pretty well. Good Population and obviously a lot of Tourists.

Can't really compare it to Arizona or Florida - those Teams typically do not put out competitive Teams (the Panthers were good this year)

I read somewhere the the Quebec deal is not dead but just put aside a year or so.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #7
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Quebec deserves it. Their fans deserve it. Just because one is from the province, that doesn't mean one loves the Habs.

Black Knights? That's the name? Jeez. That would be a borderline cheesy name for a High School team. Blackjacks would be better. An Ace, a King, and a blackjack on the emblem. A small red and black '21' superimposed over a blackjack hand of '21' on each shoulder. The blackjack could be stylized to underline the name on the chest, too. Red and black unis. It would be too easy.

Instead it will probably end up looking like the London Knights' squirts-affiliate team, but with worse uniforms. Cue the Martin Lawrence jokes.

Now, 'Nordiques'. That's a great name, and a great uni.
The Black Knights are the name of a Financial Services Company Bill Foley owns

Blackjacks does make a lot of sense, though
Old 06-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
The west coast has a good fan base. The southern USA doesn't care about it. Dallas is the exception. Florida's teams are also doing not that great for attendence . .
WRONG! The Tampa Bay Lightning have Sold Out every game for years! We've got the Best Owner in Sports, the Best GM, a Great Coach and a Team that is consistently in the Playoff Hunt!
Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #9
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
WRONG! The Tampa Bay Lightning have Sold Out every game for years! We've got the Best Owner in Sports, the Best GM, a Great Coach and a Team that is consistently in the Playoff Hunt!
I was hoping the Bolts would win the Cup this year. Too bad Stamkos was out.

I'm a Phil Esposito fan, and he'll always be the Father of the Lightning, so i was rooting for them.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #10
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Well, I for one, am excited about any professional team coming to my city. I hope this opens doors to other major sports, more specifically the NFL. I plan to attend many hockey games if they are in fact coming here. The population of Las Vegas and the metropolitan area is over 2 million. There will be plenty of locals and tourists to support any professional team.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #11
detamble13

Tampa Bay is a good example of hockey doing well in what is considered a non traditional market. My biggest problem with a team going to Vegas is that there are large markets being ignored in favour of trying something out. If there were two more teams in Canada and the league saw an opportunity to grow the game I have no problem with it.
Compare tickets for a game in Toronto or Montreal to a game in Florida. I remember being in Florida on March break and you could go see the Panthers for around $30 and you got a drink and hot dog to go with it. I realize there is a lot of money behind this project in Las Vegas but it's the fans that need to be behind it in order to succeed.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I was hoping the Bolts would win the Cup this year. Too bad Stamkos was out.

I'm a Phil Esposito fan, and he'll always be the Father of the Lightning, so i was rooting for them.
Phil still does Radio! Tampa is a nice place for all these Canadian & Russian players to retire. You see the old guys around town - Espo, Andreychuk, Bradley, Pavel Kubina has a High End Car Dealership
Old 06-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #13
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
Tampa Bay is a good example of hockey doing well in what is considered a non traditional market. My biggest problem with a team going to Vegas is that there are large markets being ignored in favour of trying something out. If there were two more teams in Canada and the league saw an opportunity to grow the game I have no problem with it.
Compare tickets for a game in Toronto or Montreal to a game in Florida. I remember being in Florida on March break and you could go see the Panthers for around $30 and you got a drink and hot dog to go with it. I realize there is a lot of money behind this project in Las Vegas but it's the fans that need to be behind it in order to succeed.
I think what held back Quebec or any other Canadian city right now is the Canadian economy
Old 06-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #14
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
The other leagues (NBA,NFL) have been sniffing around Vegas for a few years ever since the NHL made it known they were a serious expansion contender.

While I feel bad for Quebec the same situation happened in Winnipeg.

They were asked to replace an old arena and when they stalled the franchise moved.

They may get a relocated franchise in Quebec as Seattle is rumored to be next in line for expansion after Vegas.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote