The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #113
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
I would say my 03 Cobra. Like most all Terminators it had a few gremlins, and they are very nose heavy cars, but it was just a raw, pissed off Mustang when you wanted it to be, but very refined (for its era) when driving normally, and staying out of much boost. It cruised around like a stock car other than the exhaust I had on it. It was a car that rewarded you a lot for the $ and effort you invested in power mods.

A close second would be my 02 SS. Not the thrill ride my Cobra was, but it gave me less shit, and a GEN4 Fbody is a better (stiffer/better handling/better suspension setup and geometry) platform than a SN95. (The Terminators steering wheel/steering feel was better than the Fbodys though, but it's also better than any other SN95 car minus maybe a Cobra R as well) Also my Fbody was less modded in terms of power mods. Plus there's just something cool about the LS1 GEN4 cars. They're pimp tight cars.

The best vehicle I've ever owned is by far my 03 Lightning. I love my L. I don't see me ever getting rid of it. Not the fastest vehicle I've ever had, but with 200K on it I've beaten the hell out of it, and it just keeps doing its thing. Towed boats/Foxbodys/Fbodys, hauled loads in the 2000 lb range, and that kind of stuff doesn't faze it. Truck still runs like a top and rarely gives me any issues. Very smooth running and a great handling vehicle for a 1/2 truck. I've had it going on 11 years.

JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #114
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post

The best vehicle I've ever owned is by far my 03 Lightning. I love my L. I don't see me ever getting rid of it. Not the fastest vehicle I've ever had, but with 200K on it I've beaten the hell out of it, and it just keeps doing its thing. Towed boats/Foxbodys/Fbodys, hauled loads in the 2000 lb range, and that kind of stuff doesn't faze it. Truck still runs like a top and rarely gives me any issues. Very smooth running and a great handling vehicle for a 1/2 truck. I've had it going on 11 years.

Weird, I had two of them, bought used - the 1st one I loved it was perfect. I sold it for a big profit. I bought another one with Low mileage, but it was a PoS
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:42 PM   #115
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
I miss my stage 1 tuned Audi TTRS. While not the track monster the SS 1LE is, with just the few mods I had on it, it was a rocket in all weather conditions and fun to toss around as it weighed about the same as the C5 Z06 3,1xx lbs. And Audi interiors, need I say more.

It was the best street only/daily driver car I have ever had.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #116
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Weird, I had two of them, bought used - the 1st one I loved it was perfect. I sold it for a big profit. I bought another one with Low mileage, but it was a PoS
What issues where you having? Sound like you must of gotten a lemon. Relitively speaking a GEN2 L has very few common, Lightning specific issues especially if at factory PSI's. (particularly the 01-04 trucks) Some are lemons like any other vehicle though. I had a buddy named Corey with a 00 Z71 with about 200K on it and it was a POS. His brother had the exact same truck except his was and extended cab/regular bed instead of a regular cab/long bed (both 00's, both pewter, both Silverado LS Z71's, both 5.3L trucks, both always on 32" BFG All-Terrains) and you couldn't kill Tylers truck with going on 250K miles. And for an early GEN3 5.3L that truck was a beast. Only mods were an exhaust and a hand held programmer, and that truck would of likely given a New Edge GT a run for its money. It was shockingly fast for what it was. Corey's truck on the other hand was a straight up turd.

Also when I bought my 02 SS it was over 13 years old with only 31K on it. I was having a bunch of issues (most small) with it early on, but it was just because it was an old car that had sat parked for most its life. New spark plugs, new slave cylinder, new gas cap, a truck alternator, new speakers and head unit, and finding an oil it liked to quiet valve knock and excessive burnoff and it ran great and was very reliable after that, but most of these issues happened in the first 2 months after I bought it.

Like any 4 thread Modular head a 2V PI head will launch spark plugs not installed right at higher PSI's, also like other 2 and 3 valve Modulars their coil packs are subject to going bad, and their OEM rods are on borrowed time about 450ish WHP even though some have survived at 500 WHP for years (especially with a TS blower) where some have vented blocks at a little over 400 WHP. Other annoying things they may commonly see is the I/C pump going out.

The rest are just common this with those years of F150 and mostly common because of age. The thing under the dash that changes from cool to hot air is subject to breaking, and the chrome door handles inside the 03/04's (Lightning issue) will flake and eventually break. Sometimes the rear PBR's will have the pistons seize up inside the calipers. Make sure you do the wire harness recall to the master cylinder to prevent a fire. The rear glass can start leaking over time. Old Ford paint leave much to be desired but so does old GM paint.

Only issues I've had in the almost 11 years and 130K I've put on the truck is the A/C stopped blowing cold because of a leak in a line. The rearend was leaking around the seals and I changed them last year. I changed the shocks and fuel pumps at about 170K just as preventive maintenance. I've done a couple brake jobs and changed the ball joints/steering components that had gotten old. Other than that it's been rock solid for me.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:18 PM   #117
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Easy. My 1999 Z28. So much more versatile than my current SS. I could carry anything in that thing, including bikes, lawnmowers, saws, all kinds of stuff! It was pretty cheap to run and fix and never let me down.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #118
Davislasson

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS
I used to own a 2006 Toyota Camry 2.4G with tires PureContact LS. You can check out some real reviews at https://tireer.com/best-tires-for-toyota-camry/ , then in 2015 I bought a Chevrolet Camaro SS. I was always impressed and enjoyed the Chevrolet series

Last edited by Davislasson; 10-03-2022 at 10:35 PM.
Davislasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #119
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
What issues where you having? Sound like you must of gotten a lemon. Relitively speaking a GEN2 L has very few common, Lightning specific issues especially if at factory PSI's. (particularly the 01-04 trucks) Some are lemons like any other vehicle though. I had a buddy named Corey with a 00 Z71 with about 200K on it and it was a POS. His brother had the exact same truck except his was and extended cab/regular bed instead of a regular cab/long bed (both 00's, both pewter, both Silverado LS Z71's, both 5.3L trucks, both always on 32" BFG All-Terrains) and you couldn't kill Tylers truck with going on 250K miles.
1st one I had was a Canadian Delivery Vehicle that the guy brought to Florida when he retired. Because the Dash was Metric, the Dealer didn't know what to do ( this was a tiny town), so I got it a a great price. The Truck was perfect! Then I got an Offer from a friend that was a Car Dealer ( he searched and then brought back some pretty valuable Porsches) He had a Big Toter with a Trailer with Lift and was adding a Featherlite open trailer for shorter hauls. I got a low mileage special edition (Diamond Jubilee) Porsche 911 Cabriolet that was worth more than $10k the Truck, so we made the Trade.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago, looking for a Truck remembered how I liked that one. Found a low mileage one in Knoxville. Had a Ford Dealer do a PPI & a few things before I flew in. Should have walked away - 1st time I didn't listen to my own advice. Complete Lemon PoS! Like a totally different vehicle! Did a Crap of work in a year and then off loaded it.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #120
Raven 1le

Drives: Chevrolet Tahoe, camaro ss1le
That will probably be my 1977 camaro z28, its was metallic brown with camel interior, I was 17 yrs old, and drove it thru high school, loved the car. Close second my 1989 5.0 lx mustang red with grey cloth interior I ran that one hard, gt 40 heads, e303 cam, bbk trottle body, etc...etc.. an honorable mention my 1982 Ford F-250 4x4 lariat, black. Miss that one too.
Raven 1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:03 AM   #121
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
I imagine most of you have owned several cars over the years. What do you miss the most? For me it is a BMW 2002 TII followed by my 74 Dodge Charger that was back halved a lived on a steady diet of too much nitrous oxide. What do you miss?
Saab 900T. Needed a bit of work (leaking main seal), but the car was in stupendously good condition, and had a pretty stellar audio system in it. I was dumb for selling it, no question.

Second place 'regret' car would be a 79 Camaro. It was in awful shape, and had some laughably bad "mods" done to it, but I loved it anyhow.