Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-25-2022, 09:28 PM   #1
jbanks1124

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Convertible M6 RRM
Three 5th Gen ZL1's Later

Hey All,

I've used this website for so much good information over the years but finally decided to join as it's a great place to communicate with fellow Camaro enthusiasts and gurus.

I absolutely love the 5th Gen ZL1's. For me, they represent such a good combination of looks, power, uniqueness, comfort, and technology. Plus, WHO DOESN'T LOVE AN LSA! The 5th Gen Camaro really embodies the eternal muscle car look to me.

I bought my first ZL1 in Staten Island, I'd never been there before but I made the 3 hour drive up from South Jersey. It was a 2012 Black Coupe w/A6 and how cool that was driving around the boulevard in a town that you've never been. I'll never forget the first time I heard the rumble of an LSA!

My second ZL1 I drove 3 hours to Maryland to purchase a 2013 Inferno Orange Metallic ZL1 Convertible. That puppy was VIN #00025, being the first year for a convertible ZL1 Convertible, this was one of the first ZL1 Convertibles EVER. Jeff Gordon's was #24. I adored that car and sold it because of the market and change in work back in 2020.

Fast forward to 2022 and I never regretted selling a car more than my ZL1 Convertible. I HAD TO get another one.

So for my third ZL1 I (again) drove 3 hours in the snow to Lancaster and purchased my current car. A 2014 ZL1 Convertible w/Manual 6 Speed in Red Rock Metallic. I absolutely adore these cars with a Manual Transmission now that I own one. WOW, talk about power. Keeping it stock but have Rotofab Intake and Elite Engineering Catch Can on there now. I plan on keeping this car for a LONG time since I've come to realize how attached I was to my ZL1 Convertible when I sold it before.

My 2014 ZL1 keeps my 1967 Chevelle company in the garage and I tell you what, it is so special to have a classic and modern Chevy in the building together. My father taught me well, and I miss him every day. So we keep the legacy going and push it forward. I just turned 28 and feel so fortunate to be alive during this great era of modern muscle!

Sorry for rambling everyone but here's some pictures:
Attached Images

Last edited by jbanks1124; 03-25-2022 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added another photo
jbanks1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:47 PM   #2
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Great garage pics. I like the lower grill pics across the 2 Chevys
Your trio is awesome but I’m partial to your latter, ‘14 ZL1 vert M6.
I ended putting an ATI super damper, 10% overdrive on and MGW shifter.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:01 AM   #3
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Nice cars. Likewise, my '13 Z keeps me out of my '68 SS.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #4
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Super nice collection of course I am a big ZL1 fan but would love to see more photo's of that Chevelle as well, it looks pristine from what I can see.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:18 PM   #5
rednecks70

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
What is it with 5th gen ZL1's and Chevelles? They must make a good pair!

Wish I had my ZL1 in the garage next to my 70 Chevelle but only have a one car garage at the moment, moving soon to rectify this problem. The ZL1 is in an enclosed canopy which helps a lot but it has taken a beating (the canopy that is), had to put a second tarp on it in less than 3 years.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:31 AM   #6
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Nice documentary on your ownership of ZL1's. I feel the same way with the 5th gen ZL1 as you have described. When I first saw it back in 2011 I knew that I had to have it. I did not know, at the time, exactly how I was going to own it but I knew it was destiny. I also knew that this car would be a milestone car that I would own indefinitely. That is the thing with me; When I go for a special car and that car behaves itself and return dividends, I won't let it go.

The ZL1 is exceptionally talented; It does most things well, it has compelling looks, the performance is well known, and it has proven itself to be a landmark Camaro creation.

Enjoy!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:04 AM   #7
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
whoa perfect combo! Love the color.

2019 SS 1LE - "CaSSandra" 2014 SS - "AleSSandra - Sold" 94 Z28 - Sold

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:36 PM   #8
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I approve of this. Lol

ZL1's are awesome no doubt.

Do a 10% OD pully and a CAI at the very least to wake up the sleepy stock LSA.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:05 PM   #9
jbanks1124

My Dad always had a 68 Chevelle and sold it before I was born, but he talked about it all the time. So when I was old enough we bought a 1967 Chevelle. I've got that car tattooed on my forearm. It also the car that I learned how to drive manual on, which makes for an awesome story. It's not perfect, I don't have the original engine, but it runs and drives with the 350 that's in it for now. I've always thought about how cool it would be to LSA swap it! When I'm older and have the money the car will get a lot of love, for now it's our classic in the family and has always been garaged.

As for the ZL1, these cars have just aged very well over the last 8-10 years I feel. They have a lot of good things going for it, being the Mag Ride, heads up display, good speakers and plenty of power. The tremec is a Gem and with supercharger whine and the top down I'm always smiling. It's got more miles on it than the last one I had but hey it's a driver. 51K on the clock now, but I got it for 37k and its in great shape. In todays market I feel I did well. I hope to hold onto it for a long time but my friends all know I have a terrible track record with cars. I've always got something different. But I do think its quite something to have about 600hp, a 6 speed and a convertible top. That's a unique combo in todays world of bland crossovers and hybrids.

Heres another shot of the garage that I redid ever since we moved in. I'm "that" neighbor that's into cars! We have manners though!
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2022, 05:27 AM   #10
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I love chrome bumpers and vent windows.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:30 AM   #11
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Thanks for sharing the Chevelle photos a good looking body.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:52 AM   #12
lbls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanks1124 View Post
My Dad always had a 68 Chevelle and sold it before I was born, but he talked about it all the time. So when I was old enough we bought a 1967 Chevelle. I've got that car tattooed on my forearm. It also the car that I learned how to drive manual on, which makes for an awesome story. It's not perfect, I don't have the original engine, but it runs and drives with the 350 that's in it for now. I've always thought about how cool it would be to LSA swap it! When I'm older and have the money the car will get a lot of love, for now it's our classic in the family and has always been garaged.

As for the ZL1, these cars have just aged very well over the last 8-10 years I feel. They have a lot of good things going for it, being the Mag Ride, heads up display, good speakers and plenty of power. The tremec is a Gem and with supercharger whine and the top down I'm always smiling. It's got more miles on it than the last one I had but hey it's a driver. 51K on the clock now, but I got it for 37k and its in great shape. In todays market I feel I did well. I hope to hold onto it for a long time but my friends all know I have a terrible track record with cars. I've always got something different. But I do think its quite something to have about 600hp, a 6 speed and a convertible top. That's a unique combo in todays world of bland crossovers and hybrids.

Heres another shot of the garage that I redid ever since we moved in. I'm "that" neighbor that's into cars! We have manners though!
We do seem to have some things in common. My dad's first car was a brand new, '68 Chevelle SS 396, that I can say I was lucky to be around when he had it (yea, age clue but I was a toddler when he bought it). I do remember that car well. It was not reliable, it had quite a few problems, including it needing a short block. Many cars built in that era had problems. Its just the luck of the draw. You might luck out and get a gem back then, or you may end up with a "Monday" built car with loads of issues. Pop traded the Chevelle in '73 when he got new car fever for a 454 Caprice. It was my pop, uncle and grandfather that nutured the car fetish for both me and my brother.

We never regained the Chevelle, partially due to the fact that it soon became a legend, and prices just seemed out of reach (even then). One day I've vowed to have either a '68 or '69 Chevelle.....even if its the last car I would buy. It will not come at the expense of the brilliant ZL1 though.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:38 PM   #13
jbanks1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
We do seem to have some things in common. My dad's first car was a brand new, '68 Chevelle SS 396, that I can say I was lucky to be around when he had it (yea, age clue but I was a toddler when he bought it). I do remember that car well. It was not reliable, it had quite a few problems, including it needing a short block. Many cars built in that era had problems. Its just the luck of the draw. You might luck out and get a gem back then, or you may end up with a "Monday" built car with loads of issues. Pop traded the Chevelle in '73 when he got new car fever for a 454 Caprice. It was my pop, uncle and grandfather that nutured the car fetish for both me and my brother.

We never regained the Chevelle, partially due to the fact that it soon became a legend, and prices just seemed out of reach (even then). One day I've vowed to have either a '68 or '69 Chevelle.....even if its the last car I would buy. It will not come at the expense of the brilliant ZL1 though.
Yeah my dad started with a 65 Impala SS Convertible, which is why its funny that I now have a ZL1 convertible. And then yes there's the legendary 68 Chevelle that he had which so many stories of glorified days were told around the dinner table. I wish I got to see that car badly, my dad and I always liked the same cars and to this day I miss the conversations we had over an engine bay, wish I had more times like that. My ZL1 is that special to me too. If I ever add another car it will be a manual Challenger. Ive had tons of those and would love to grab one with a 6 speed. I said ADD, the ZL1 won't be sold! My dad passed the love of Silverados and Muscle cars to me, I'm very thankful for that every day.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:06 AM   #14
lbls1

Well there's one thing that my dad tried to relay to me, and that is constraint. He told me not to go rush out there and get any car, as there are things that take precedent and of course the rigors of buying a car. Well I didn't exactly listen to that advice, but it was very helpful to me and I became a good critic of cars. I still want a dynamic chevelle before I'm through.

Tags
5th gen zl1, red rock metallic, zl1 convertible