Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-05-2024, 06:24 AM   #1
Dvloo

Drives: Camaro SS 2ss 2009
Centrifugal supercharger options?

Hi, guys

I am thinking about doing a big upgrade next year for my 2009 Camaro 2SS L99.

I am leaning towards the centrifugal superchargers. I know of procharger and Vortech but are there any other good brand that sell these things?
And what would you advice?
Also what does it usaly cost for the kit + labor?

In the future I might also do a LS3 coversion with cam swap so I keep that into account to.

*Update*
Just happened to see this kit from TorqStorm. Is it anything good?
Suspiciously cheap compared to procharger..
https://torqstorm.com/product/kits_single_camaro/

Last edited by Dvloo; 02-05-2024 at 06:56 AM.
Dvloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:03 AM   #2
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Procharger is the biggest name by far. Proven kits. Same with Vortech/Paxton. The people who go with Torquestorm seem to love them. Here's a few other ones.

ESS tuning. Pretty big with the mustang guys at the moment

https://esstuning.com/gen-5-camaro-s...ger-tuner-kit/

East Coast Superchargers (ECS) tons of early 5th gen guys used to run this kit.

https://eastcoastsupercharging.com/p...ro-ss-1le_137/

No idea what labor would be to install these.

I just noticed. How do you have a 2009 Camaro? 2002 was the last model year of the 4th gen and 2010 was the first model year of the 5th gen.

Last edited by CamaroDreams76; 02-05-2024 at 12:32 PM.
CamaroDreams76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:19 AM   #3
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I have a Torqstorm myself. I feel that it is a highly underrated blower. Very capable and makes great power for a daily driver type car. Maximum effort they can push out 800rwhp with e85, supporting fuel system, cam etc.... Just about the same as any other 1500 series blower. The Torqstorm can definitely be done cheaper than any other kit if you can fabricate yourself, or have a buddy who can help you.

-I paid $4500 for the blower kit, Injectors, ATI dampener upgrade and Zl1 fuel pump.
-I had a few "while your in there items" like Mighty Mouse catch can $450, HPS silicone radiator hoses $250, Vacuum reference block and silicone hoses $150...
-Mr.Bling intercooler kit and piping $1850
-Tune $700

So all in I paid about $8000 for my kit, installed and tuned. 1000 miles later and I haven't had a single issue. You will pay a similar amount for the other kits, but they come with everything included, i.e. injectors, boost a pump, etc.... but my issue with that is that you can't pick the parts you use. For example I wanted to use FIC injectors, I wanted to use my own catch can.... The other kits are perfect if you just want to install them out of the box, or you don't mind spending the extra money upgrading those kits.

Torqstorm also has the new 84mm blower that you can call and ask about, they don't list it on the website kit as an option. That blower is capable of 4 digit power #'s.

happy to answer any questions if you do want a Torqstorm blower. Or you can check out my member journal or my instagram. I documented my build in all of those places.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 12:51 PM   #4
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
1. What is a 2009 Camaro?
2. Don't go boosted with the stock L99 lifters
3. Skip the torqustorm. Very limited power and you see alot of them for sale because guys want more power.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:46 AM   #5
TheBrightSide

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS coupe (MT)
I don’t know much, but aren’t the Maggie (Magnuson?) TVS2300 and Heartbeat 2300 some older setups, that are CTS-V and ZL1 based?

And aren’t Procharger and Whipple just two other forms of popular aftermarket supercharger setups, that are possible for the LS3/LSA?

Oh, and yes, like some have mentioned, since you’re already planning to go after high power increase/output, an AFM/DOD delete and cam swap setup, would be necessary. Those weak L99 AFM systems are prone to having issues and breaking in general, especially up in the higher number mileage. Don’t they make VVT specific cams you can run, after deleting the AFM system and L99 rockers and lifters?

Last edited by TheBrightSide; 02-06-2024 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Missing info
TheBrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:52 AM   #6
Pops

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 2012 C6 vette M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I don’t know much, but aren’t the Maggie (Magnuson?) TVS2300 and Heartbeat 2300 some older setups, that are CTS-V and ZL1 based?

And aren’t Procharger and Whipple just two other forms of popular aftermarket supercharger setups, that are possible for the LS3/LSA?

Oh, and yes, like some have mentioned, since you’re already planning to go after high power increase/output, an AFM/DOD delete and cam swap setup, would be necessary. Those weak L99 AFM systems are prone to having issues and breaking in general, especially up in the higher number mileage. Don’t they make VVT specific cams you can run, after deleting the AFM system and L99 rockers and lifters?
I currently have the heartbeat which is a PD SC. I have had the ECS paxton set up on a different car. They are both great. I prefer the PD to the centifical. Might want to think about that.
Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM   #7
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

I wouldn't count Torqstorm out for the reasons I mentioned. Cheaper cost overall than basically all the other options. The LS3 with a centri based cam, Torqstorm with a 3.1 pulley and supporting fuel system(zl1 pump, 850cc injectors, Probably a BAP for reliability) is an easy 600rwhp car, more if you run e85. If you use your car primarily for street, thats alot of horses in my opinion. I live in the country and I open her up on a daily basis and at its current power level of 530rwhp, its pretty stout and not afraid to run anything on the street. Don't forget that around 650rwhp the SS bottom end is questionable. Unless you plan on building a full on forged bottom end or swapping to an LSA forged crank, etc... you don't want to push much more power unless you have a bank account ready to back up a full rebuild.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:25 PM   #8
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

I will say though... If i could go back in time I probably would have gone LSA kit from boost district or pinched a few pennies and went for a PD blower like the whipple, because nothing beats that whine.

the Torqstorm does make some really cool noises, and my car never turned heads until I had that screaming 54mm bov on it. Everyone is always asking me about the car, asking me to rev it, racing me in there honda civic sport... and the other day some kinds asked to take some videos of my car because they saw the intercooler and the guages.

I also like supporting and using stuff from the underdogs. Everyone always thinks its cheap junk, when it really isn't.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:26 PM   #9
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
As quoted by a mustang driver I called out for a race...." Are you kidding me? That thing sounds like a frigging hurricane ". ECS1500 kit.

FTW- when you can intimate by a single rev!
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM   #10
phoenix78

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS (A6 Ashen Gray)
Quote:
For the Camaro SS, Magnuson created the TVS2300, TVS2300 Heartbeat, and the new TVS2650. From what I'm seeing online, Magnuson no longer sells the TVS2300 Heartbeat. It can be found for sale by other stores, though.

Quote:
Those weak L99 AFM systems are prone to having issues and breaking in general, especially up in the higher number mileage. Don’t they make VVT specific cams you can run, after deleting the AFM system and L99 rockers and lifters?
Off the top of my head, I recall that the AFM lifters specifically are a known weak point in L99s. Gwatney Performance (GPI), Texas Speed, and possibly other shops offer camshafts that allow you to keep VVT. After speaking about GPI regarding the goals for my car, I opted for a GPI SS3 cam with a VVT delete kit.
It's my understanding that doing a VVT delete allows you to use a 3-bolt camshaft, which opens up a lot of options for cams. However, keeping VVT is better if you want as much torque as possible. Morepowerjoe on this forum has a GPI SS3 cam, but kept his VVT. He's got noticeably more torque than me. Very nice car.
Mod list: GPI SS3 camshaft (VVT delete), ZL1 Fuel Pump, FIC 60 lb injectors, Tru-Cool 40k tranny cooler, Circle D 3600 triple disc (billet flexplate), GPI Rod Mod, Bo White ported TB, Variant Helium wheels, Continental ECS 02 tires, CAI cold air intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ high flow cats, Ridetech HQ coilovers, BMR sway bars, BMR delrin subframe bushings, Hendrix offset poly diff bushings, Borla S-Type axle-back exhaust, Holley EFI Fuel Rails, Elite Engineering E2 catch can, Umbra LED Taillights, Kenwood DMX9707S head unit, some minor interior/exterior appearance mods.

phoenix78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:44 AM   #11
Mauimax3
Mauimax3

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I have the Heartbeat and couldn't be happier. With associated upgraded parts ie: BTR stage II, ZL1 fuel pump, Kenne-Bell, ATI, Kook's, Borla, Nick Williams, trunnion upgrade...with only 8lbs of boost = 670 rwhp
Magnuson Supercharger, ZL-1 Fuel Pump, Kenny Belle Boost-a-Pump, Kook's LongTube, BTR Stage II, Trunion upgrade, ATI Superdampner, Nick Williams 102mm, Elite Eng. Can, Borla ATAK exhaust w/flow thru cats, CAI box. BMR Suspension upgrades. Dr Phil tuned.
Mauimax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:36 PM   #12
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
I love how you list all your mods that are in your signature

The Maggie isn't a centri

Last edited by joshnmn; 02-18-2024 at 09:03 PM.
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
l99 camaro, procharger, supercharger, vortech