Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #29
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
A great example of cars that "went up" in value are classic muscle cars. Those cars were around $3,500. Now you might think, "those cars being sold at 30k+! So it's was a 25k+ gain" but if you look at the maintenance and all other factors for storing a car for 30+ years that really adds up. Now the main issue, inflation. $3,500 in 1967 are $24,792.44 in 2014. Also you said that a ZL1 will be 30k+ soon, that will only get you a used ZL1 which will only make it drop in value in 30 years. At the end you might make 5,000??

I ain't looking at retirement yet, but 5,000 over 30 years does not look like a decent return.

Also, I don't see how investment advice belongs in the Camaro general discussion.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:25 AM   #30
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
This is a really tough question. Usually, it has to be a car they didn't make very many of...and has a big engine. It's very hard trying to figure out what will be worth big money 30-40 years from now.

Currently, the best examples are 1967-1971 muscle cars with the BIGGEST available engines. New or slightly used "back in the day", they were maybe $6,000 and now 45 years later they are $50K-150K. I like the older special edition Mustangs: Shelby GT350/500, Mach 1 428CJ, Boss 302/429. Big block Chevelle's, anything with a Hemi or 440 six-pack, either of the winged cars, Stage IV GTO's...always seems to be the BIGGEST available engine or limited production.

Of the three you listed, I think the Viper GTS is a good option - currently affordable with collector potential. No on the current Mustang Boss 302, it's little more than a sticker package with a slightly retuned engine/suspension. A Camaro ZL1 or better yet, a 660 hp Shelby GT500, are both "limited production" and definitely the big horsepower versions in their lineup, but cost way more than you probably want to invest now. Pickup a nice, low mile Viper GTS coupe blue with white stripes!

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #31
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
You never really can tell what will be popular. The best thing for the value of a car is for it to go extinct. Like others have said car dealing is too finicky to make a stable investment in. Just drive what makes you happy.

However, I'd probably put my money on the Viper. That's the most rare of the bunch and it'll only get rarer over time.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #32
bucolic

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS Crystal Red Tintc
It's so hard to look into the future and see what will be a sought after vehicle. Personally I think it has more to do with the originality of the car than anything else.

Even our SS camaros I think could be worth something if left as purchased from the dealer with all paper work. On here so many people MOD them that finding one just as it rolled off the line will be very difficult in 20 years. They debadge them, add lights, change grills. That all kills the value for a collector. Buy one leave it exactly as it came from the dealer and any of them stand a chance I think.

2014 Camaro SS/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
bucolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #33
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
Honestly.... Pontiac G8 GXP over all 3 of those
Personally I LOVED my G8 GT and the GXP's with no miles are selling for as much as they originally did with driven ones selling for $30-35k. Awesome cars and great sleepers. However, if it isn't your cup of tea, then it just isn't your cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Right now I drive a fully loaded SS2/RS vert, tan top, tan leather. I think a good 20-30 years down the road it will be a very nice classic. It's not going to be worth bazillions, but it will do fine.

But let's say I wanted to drop 30k on a car and get a very decent return when I'm getting ready to retire in 30 years...

Would you pick a 2000 Viper GTS? ZL1? or Boss 302? Any other cars you'd suggest?? I'm leaning toward the Viper.

I know Boss's and ZL1's are 40-45 right now. But they'll drop to 30-35 sooner or later.

Not interested in classics - I freakin' love them - but I can't sleep at night when something is mechanically wrong with a car, haha, so classics are out.
Here is my opinion about your list:

'00 Viper GTS: If you can get one in blue with the white stripes (signature GTS color scheme) then you might have something that would be worth a fair amount down the road. Any Viper pre shutdown after '12 is going to be worth more of a collector's car than an weekend warrior car because they were "a man's car" with no traction control, ABS, or other modern day safety "nannies". The red with white striped one you had listed is a decent color scheme, probably second to the blue w/ white as far as iconic. Don't go with a plain no stripe Viper though. Allegedly the striped Vipers had more to them than the plain ones.
ZL1: Love the looks, love the power, have strongly considered trading my 2SS/RS for a ZL1 convertible. Rarity/collectability, probably on the low end. If it had been the '69 or '02 ZL1's then you would have something. ('02 being the GMMG special edition 69-Stage 2 & Stage 3 combined total number 'ZL1' Camaros). I would like to think that one day the 12+ ZL1's would be worth at least $30k, but no guarantee.
Boss 302: This would be my last choice. Your argument of "they only made them for 2 years" doesn't play well since a '69-'70 Boss 302 isn't really out of the ball park high priced, and only made for 2 years. If you can score an inexpensive Laguna Seca edition that might help your resale in later years, but even then (again in my opinion) most people are going to think "Oh, just another Mustang".
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #34
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Right now I drive a fully loaded SS2/RS vert, tan top, tan leather. I think a good 20-30 years down the road it will be a very nice classic. It's not going to be worth bazillions, but it will do fine.

But let's say I wanted to drop 30k on a car and get a very decent return when I'm getting ready to retire in 30 years...

Would you pick a 2000 Viper GTS? ZL1? or Boss 302? Any other cars you'd suggest?? I'm leaning toward the Viper.

I know Boss's and ZL1's are 40-45 right now. But they'll drop to 30-35 sooner or later.

Not interested in classics - I freakin' love them - but I can't sleep at night when something is mechanically wrong with a car, haha, so classics are out.
Pick one and roll the dice. Your guess will be as good as any of ours because no one is physic, no one knows what the market will be like in 30 years. Keep in mind that according to scientists and researchers we will be out of oil before 30 years and everyone will be driving pure electric vehicles or using an alternative fuel that current combustion engines can't use. If this really happens current cars will be worthless.

Personally I wouldn't buy any of the above if you are hoping for profit. Why? Because of electronics. Imo, the electronics in these will not last and stay in top working order for 30 years or longer. When they do go out, it will cost you more in the long run to repair and replace these components (if you can even find them in 30 years) than the small amount of profit you will get out of them.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #35
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Lots of great responses, thanks guys!
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #36
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Want a better investment? Invest in real estate.....

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #37
sprayedv

Drives: 2012 CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS
car and investment in same sentence....lol

2012 CTS-V: Cosmetic Chute.
sprayedv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #38
SSmoothie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP Blk/Blk
Viper
Old 08-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #39
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Definitely gave everyone the wrong impression with my first post. Not good wording on my part, sorry

PS absolutely meant Laguna Seca with the Boss
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #40
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Keep in mind one of the reasons why the classic American muscle cars are so expensive right now is because the baby boomers are trying to recapture their youth by buying up the cars of their youth.

Example:

In 1994 a plain non-R/T Challenger with a 383 big block would sell for an average of about $7,500. good luck trying to find the same car now for less than $20,000. It's not because it was a valuable option but because all of the other cars have either rusted out, are too much work or have been purchased.

Cars are not a good investment, because there's nothing to say that once the baby boomers start selling their cars that the values might plummet. The same holds true for modern cars, however..

Of those three the Viper is the better choice if you intend to buy something for future value. Because the Boss 302 was capped was hard and fast production limits, its heritage both in classic Trans Am racing as well as modern SCCA championships I would put it as a second choice. In particular a Yellow/Black 2012.

The ZL1 is an extraordinary muscle car, and while it is rare it is not a limited production vehicle. You can go down to your local Chevy dealership and order one today, or more if you have the money to dispose of. You cannot go down and buy more Boss 302s off the assembly line.

Numbered cars with a heritage in racing will hold their value better, but let's be honest all of them are great cars.

The Boss is to the Mustang as the ZL1 is to the Camaro. Different engine and suspension and cosmetic differences.

if you are willing to spend the money, can find a location for one and are willing to do it, find a new Z/28. Rare, very limited production, extremely high performance and will be exceptionally rare in the future.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #41
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Boss or ZL1. Boss is a track beast and its fast on the 1/4 too. Same goes for ZL1. Viper cost a way lot more to mod/repair/parts. The only viper I'd buy is the 2008+ with the 600hp. Viper if its a 08+.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.

Last edited by WHAMMO; 08-17-2014 at 03:15 PM.
WHAMMO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #42
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
None of the above. If you factor in the cost of upkeep (garaging, maintenance, etc.), even with an appreciation you would've spent any gain on maintaining the car.

I would look at it more as an investment for yourself: Buying a really nice automobile that you'll enjoy for decades, and with the possibility of a residual value increase as an added incentive to keep it. Once you realize and get past this question, then your choice will be easier.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote