Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 PM   #225
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Mike@SolerPerformance, have you tested the LT5 throttle body and the difference between it and your part? I have that TB with a tune, and am curious if there's anything left on the table.
No numbers yet, I presume at part throttle we should be above the stock 95 mm, at WOT the stock 95 mm should win it.

I also think the influence of the 95 mm or any larger TB, in general, is sometimes over-rated. To me, the TB is sized so it is not an obstruction at WOT, after that, increasing the size only makes sense if increasing all sizes and decreasing all restrictions along the airflow path (from the filter to the cylinders). Other than that, at WOT, the TB is just a 4-inch section of a 3-4 ft long duct. Very different story at part throttle, where it is TB what governs the flow.

Thanks,

Last edited by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC; 06-25-2019 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #226
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC View Post
No numbers yet, I presume at part throttle we should be above the stock 95 mm, at WOT the stock 95 mm should win it.

I also think the influence of the 95 mm or any larger TB, in general, is sometimes over-rated. To me, the TB is sized so it is not an obstruction at WOT, after that, increasing the size only makes sense if increasing all sizes and decreasing all restrictions along the airflow path (from the filter to the cylinders). Other than that, at WOT, the TB is just a 4-inch section of a 3-4 ft long duct. Very different story at part throttle, where it is TB what governs the flow.

Thanks,

Plus..if the opening is too BIG...you lose that "Vortex" effect....right?
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #227
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC View Post

Thanks,
Mike, do you recommend waiting before buying your TB if I’m going to eventually be doing LT headers and a CAI?

I’d hate to get your TB now and then have to re-work it after I mod the car.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #228
vidkidZ
Mobile/Embedded Architect

Drives: '16 2SS white convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsreo View Post
Installation Tip:

Once you have disconnected the battery to allow the ECU to relearn, don't close the trunk, you will save yourself the pain of crawling over the back seats to get to the emergency release.

I am such a moron sometimes...……….
Haha.. I did the same thing with a convertible. Except I needed to pull the key out of the fob to unlatch the trunk from behind the back seat...
vidkidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #229
csmwilliamjohnson
Silver Bullet

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Soler Performance TB

After doing some research and reading through this entire thread I'm sold! I just ordered mine and can't wait to post the results.

Thanks Mike and the team at Soler Performance!
csmwilliamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #230
Peelam

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, Jet Black, M6
Been following this for a while and researching. Mine just arrived yesterday and will be going in this weekend. Will post my thoughts when i'm done.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #231
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Well I drove about the first 20 miles of the relearn process and it's already pretty clear how much different this feels off idle. Everything at light-part throttle is smoother about the power delivery IMO.

Ultimately this is mostly subjective for all of us since we aren't collecting any hard data, but so far so good as far as I'm concerned.

Definitely much easier starting off too, didn't feel as boggy to me.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #232
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouce View Post
Plus..if the opening is too BIG...you lose that "Vortex" effect....right?
Yes!
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:21 PM   #233
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Does this PTB equate to Carb/cable response?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:27 PM   #234
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Mike, do you recommend waiting before buying your TB if I’m going to eventually be doing LT headers and a CAI?

I’d hate to get your TB now and then have to re-work it after I mod the car.
Alain, no need to, those happen to be our customer's most common Mods. Experience shows that the standard configuration of our TB, for any particular engine/transmission combination you may have, works well in combination with those.

If you are tuning when you add those, it will be good you also bring the TB so it is taken into account when tuning.

Thanks,
Old 06-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #235
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmwilliamjohnson View Post
After doing some research and reading through this entire thread I'm sold! I just ordered mine and can't wait to post the results.

Thanks Mike and the team at Soler Performance!
Thank you, William and all others for your orders and kind words, reviews, recommendations.

Great forum, good people, nice cars...can't beat that. We're glad to be here.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #236
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Does this PTB equate to Carb/cable response?
Not exactly, but that is the direction we went and took it as close as we could w/o a tune.

The most important thing about why those felt so responsive and intuitive is that the TB bore was straight (cylindrical that is) and those respond naturally fast and linear. The cable and mechanical linkage from the pedal kept it that way.

We can make such TB, but it will need tuning beyond just changing the pedal mapping. And that is a tune I'm not sure can be done. I've asked a few tuners and some think what they need is not accessible to be changed, others think it can be done but have never tried it.

I'm willing to give it a shot if I can find a tuner who wants to work with us. Why not? A perfectly linear response like in the good old times of cables and idle control valves.

Last edited by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC; 06-28-2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #237
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Ordered one as well.

I can't help but be impressed by a seller who's confident enough in their product to share detail down to the theory, analysis, and engineering of it, most won't, and if you think Mike has shared a lot here, check out their web site!

Add great customer service, quickly shipping after placing the order, and the 100% positive testimonials here, and I'm really looking forward to receiving my own unit!
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:11 PM   #238
tran827

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Ordered! After reading so many great things I decided to try it out. Looking forward to seeing the difference between stock and this unit!
tran827 is offline   Reply With Quote