The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #29
BlacLac02
Banned

Drives: 2002 Cadillac Escalade & STS
Send a message via AIM to BlacLac02
if you go to www.gminsidenews.com it says that the gto is going to be stopped this year. there will be no 2007 gto, but...... they are bringit back in 2008 redesigned and its not going to share any sheetmetal from the camaro. so its just being stopped for now but is going to be redone in 08 before the camaro comes out
BlacLac02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #30
Twin Turbo

Drives: '05 Ford Mustang
That's mad. Surely the next GTO will be based on the same (Zeta) platform as the Camaro......therefore the underpinning's will be very similar, if not identical. As the Camaro's already got the green light, I'd expect to see that first.

Ideally, I'd love to see a new GTO concept at the Detroit show next year and see it hit production around 6 months after the Camaro.
Twin Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:20 AM   #31
BlacLac02
Banned

the gto is coming out before the camaro does. its only taking a year off. it will be back in 08 a good 8 months before they even start production on the camaro
Old 08-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #32
Twin Turbo

Interesting. I would have thought GM wouldn't want the GTO to steal the new Camaro's thunder though.

Anyone got further details of the next GTO? I understand the Monaro based GTO wasn't the success GM had hoped for. Not surprising really, as other than the Pontiac "nose", it wasn't that much different from the Monaro. It was sold here in Britain as a Vauxhall Monaro and was quite a success, but then it didn't have any heritage baggage over here.

Surely the next GTO will be another retro themed design? As such, I'd expect GM to dip their toe in the water by showing a concept in '07.

Either way, another muscle car gets the thumbs up from me.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:42 AM   #33
BlacLac02
Banned

here is what i pulled from gminsidenews.com
Quote:
Pontiac GTO: The Goat will go on a 24-48 month hiatus starting in 2007. While on hiatus, a new GTO will be in the works to arrive in 2008. It will share components with the Camaro, but insiders assure us that they will not share any sheet metal.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #34
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666

KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:03 AM   #35
$anani

Drives: chevy s10
is cool that there are building a possible firebird but is just to close to the camaro. (regarding this pics of the firebird)
$anani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:01 AM   #36
BlacLac02
Banned

dude thats not a real design from gm. and there not building it. someone made that by taking the camaro picture and changing it py putting pontiac signs on it
Old 09-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #37
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I've seen alot of photoshops out there of what new Firebird would look like. But, nothing "official".

My thoughts are GM will bring back the GTO for Pontiac, and Chevrolet will have the Camaro. Personally, I don't see Pontiac offering a vehicle so close to the Camaro. Also, look at the cost GM invested in building the concept, and the public reaction. They have a huge "hit" with the concept, and seeing a payoff in the form of sales after making the investment makes me think they won't build a car so close, which could hurt sales.

Who knows though??? If the Camaro sells over the 100,000 as Lutz has said it needs to, maybe they will bring back a Firebird.

Personally, I don't care. The more muscle/pony cars, the better!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:52 AM   #38
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I really believe if they bring back the firebird/TA that it will be a few years after the camaro comes back. mainly b/c of the gto. gto aint dead yet and if it continues down the road of low sales I can see them scrapping it and bringing the firebird back.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #39
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
If the Camaro sells over the 100,000 as Lutz has said it needs to, maybe they will bring back a Firebird.

Personally, I don't care. The more muscle/pony cars, the better!
BINGO! That's exactly what I'm saying!!!
Pontiac will come back w/ a rear drive sportscar. Will it be the GTO which, we were told would be coming back w/ an all new redesign? Or will it the the Firebird, which Pontiac just had to renew it's rights on the name?...hmm...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #40
Twin Turbo

From my web surfing, it looks like it'll be the GTO that gets the nod for Pontiac. What I still can't get my head around is everyone thinking the GTO will be back and on sale in 2008. The only way that could happen would be if it's very closely based on Holden's new Monaro. By that, I mean not only using all the underpinnings, but also using all the hard points for windscreen/doors/scuttle etc. BUT, the next Monaro hasn't even been approved yet. It's expected to arrive after the ute and wagon version of the new Commodore, itself only just launched.

However, the general concensus seems to be the current GTO wasn't enough of a "real" GTO in the looks department. I guess GM will take the same approach to the new GTO styling as they've done with the Camaro, ie overtly aggresive, with a modern twist on classic styline cues. I guess if they are working on a new GTO NOW, it may make it on sale by 2008. But then I'd hope they are already working on the Camaro now too, and that ain't coming until 2009.

Who knows? Either way, I can't wait to see the new Monaro, GTO and Camaro.....the sooner the better
Old 09-22-2006, 09:44 AM   #41
BlacLac02
Banned

they said that they actually might bring the firebird back depending on how the camaro sells. if it does good they said they would bring it back a few years after the camaro. and as for the name Trans Am. ....... it will never be called that again. that name has been retired and gm doesnt own the rights to it any more.

Moose :My thoughts are GM will bring back the GTO for Pontiac, and Chevrolet will have the Camaro. Personally, I don't see Pontiac offering a vehicle so close to the Camaro. actually the new gto is going to be exactly the same as the camaro except body panels. every thing else will pretty much be the same. motor suspension chassis all that stuff.besides thats how its always been since the camaro and firebird came out... so yes they would make it almost identical to the camaro. and yes they have thought of bringing the firebird back.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:04 AM   #42
ibfromoakcali

Drives: 96z28 (98 conversion)
The one thing gm is looking at most closely is total sales units. GM doesnt want any competition between its flagships. Lets face it and say camaro and firebird were the same car with different style. That means that the two companies (chevy and pontiac) were directly competing, and a house divided can not stand. Gto will either be reborn or die but a firebird will not replace it.(I drove a 05 gto... As fast as you could handle but ugly as ****)

1st 78 Camaro LT (350)
2nd 86 Camaro Z28 (305)
3rd 86 Camaro Sport Coupe (305)
Current: 96 Camaro Z28 (98 conversion) (350)
Future: 2008 Camaro Z28 6 speed (???)
ibfromoakcali is offline   Reply With Quote