The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #29
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywine5 View Post
yes it would be stupid I agree and I wasn't my intent to imply such a thing. I also did not know that there was an SS before but my opinion still stands. Hope this model works out for GM. It just doesn't appeal to me at all.
I agree here, doen't matter what happened before calling anything just an SS these days does not fit, especially as SS has been a performance trim for how many years now?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #30
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Why does it have to be renamed at all? Commodore was just fine IMO.
Sounds good to me. Calling it a SS is unnecessary.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #31
Rapid Runner

Drives: 2012 Audi TT-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
So 2 more gears in the trans is that big deal? LOL. 8 is a nice number but not a reason to buy or not buy a car...........................unless you have a transmission fetish. In that case you should bag the 8 speed as totally worthless as it isn't a DCT. Any performance enthusiast picking based on an automatic? Well not sure why. But if you are the judgment isn't 8 vs 6 it's whether or not you have a DCT. Period!
I can't believe a engineer such as yourself is saying this... The performance aspect of any 8-speed vs a 6-speed is considered a reason to buy a vehicle, 0-60 performance, mpg, shift times... are all reasons

No they are not as great as a DCT but they can and have been tuned to be very very close to achieve the same performance
Rapid Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #32
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Quote:
So 2 more gears in the trans is that big deal? LOL. 8 is a nice number but not a reason to buy or not buy a car...........................unless you have a transmission fetish. In that case you should bag the 8 speed as totally worthless as it isn't a DCT. Any performance enthusiast picking based on an automatic? Well not sure why. But if you are the judgment isn't 8 vs 6 it's whether or not you have a DCT. Period!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Runner View Post
I can't believe a engineer such as yourself is saying this... The performance aspect of any 8-speed vs a 6-speed is considered a reason to buy a vehicle, 0-60 performance, mpg, shift times... are all reasons
Probably was saying the exact same thing about 6 speed's all up to the day GM released plans for their own.

Last edited by Truck Norris; 07-23-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Truck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #33
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
It is also the fact that gears can be spaced more tightly to keep it and it also allows higher OD gears for better milage. Mind you the 6.4 is already rated at 23 MPG with the old 5 speed auto and the SS is what, 20 with it's 6 speed? Also if it is not a big deal why is the Corvette, Cadillacs, and eventually the trucks getting rid of their 6 speed autos for 8 speed autos?
Quote:

No they are not as great as a DCT but they can and have been tuned to be very very close to achieve the same performance
You either missed my point or I miss communicated.

Yes an 8 speed offers more refinement and a better optimization of gear spacing and can allow for a better 1st gear as well as a longer top hear.

What I was saying was simply judging a car ONLY on the number of gears in the trans. Would I like to see an 8 speed in the SS? Absolutely! Would I buy an SRT only because it did have an 8 speed? No I would not.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
It is also the fact that gears can be spaced more tightly to keep it and it also allows higher OD gears for better milage. Mind you the 6.4 is already rated at 23 MPG with the old 5 speed auto and the SS is what, 20 with it's 6 speed? Also if it is not a big deal why is the Corvette, Cadillacs, and eventually the trucks getting rid of their 6 speed autos for 8 speed autos?
Quote:

Yes an 8 speed offers more refinement and a better optimization of gear spacing and can allow for a better 1st gear as well as a longer top hear.

What I was saying was simply judging a car ONLY on the number of gears in the trans. Would I like to see an 8 speed in the SS? Absolutely! Would I buy an SRT only because it did have an 8 speed? No I would not.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Another reason I was disappointed with Chevy's return to building a rear wheel drive sedan.... not even going to say the name... is that it's not being offered in Canada. Even if I had waited to buy this car like I had considered I wouldn't even have the option. I think they're missing an opportunity to sell some cars and I just don't understand it. I'm not a big fan of the styling as I've said but LS3 and RWD will sell cars by itself. At this point I hope we can get our hands on a 6th Gen Camaro up here
Don't forget about the Canadian enthusiasts GM!
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #36
Rapid Runner

Drives: 2012 Audi TT-RS
Quote:

Either there's some GM biased rite here (as you should!) or you miscommunicated again.. so I'll ask

If the SS had a 8-speed auto, would you buy one?
Rapid Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #37
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I'm not impressed.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:40 AM   #38
2010Slowmaro
5.0 lol...

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Please don't get me started on that SS...
I have never been more disappointed in GM.

Custom tuned by a Skinny White Guy
2010Slowmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #39
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
Quote:

Too me it sounds like two extra parts that could break. Not impressed with everyone claiming their 8-speed tranny is superior. It's like when you were a kid and the neighbors bike was a 10-speed when you only had a 3-speed. In the end the neighbor kids bike just kept breaking.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #40
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider58 View Post
Too me it sounds like two extra parts that could break. Not impressed with everyone claiming their 8-speed tranny is superior. It's like when you were a kid and the neighbors bike was a 10-speed when you only had a 3-speed. In the end the neighbor kids bike just kept breaking.

I had 21 gears on my bike and it never broke I probably didn't "push" it hard enough
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #41
Stew

Quote:

I would buy the SRT because it is the better performing car myeelf. More power, 4 wheel brembos vs front wheel only, bilstien adjustable suspension, better FE (even with the old 5 speed auto). not to mention you are not going to mistake a SRT Charger or 300 for an 06 Impala anytime soon.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #42
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider58 View Post
maybe,except this same transmission has been in high end cars for a few years ago and those extra parts are NOT breaking. Just like the 10 speed vs a 3 speed, a well tuned 8 speed auto will crap all over a 6 speed auto which is why GM is also offering one in the Corvette, CTS, upcoming trucks, and more than likely the C6 Camaro. Don';t down it, more gears are some of the pieces that will allow to hold on to performance for a while longer while keeping up with the EPA.