The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #15
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
...and a fully prepped track with optimum weather conditions like the "hero-run" they did prior to the release.

FYI: After you run a sub-10, you'll be kicked off of the track unless you have hacked up your $90k Demon and installed an NHRA-Approved cage in it.
Wuuh, wuuuuuuuuhhh!
FYI: Many tracks won't say a word if you run 9's with no cage. You act like this magical track police officer will come and run you off everywhere in the world which is far from the truth. When the cage rule was 11's I would violate it every week and tracks all over the east and only once I was told at a NHRA event that if I won I'd be DQ'ed.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #16
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Looks like all that is needed to hit 10.0 with the demon is MT Street tires and some seat time with the car, and soon the 2020 will be close to a second faster than that if current rumors are to be believed.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #17
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
So much hate...

The sub 10 runs are there just look on Hellcat.org.

No hate, just stating experiences.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #18
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
So much hate...

The sub 10 runs are there just look on Hellcat.org.
No man, there isn't any hate. I haven't delved into the Demon's 1/4 mile times too deeply (as in, avidly searching on forums). I'm simply speaking from the dozens of YouTube videos that I have seen. Every video I have seen, has the owner in the low 10's and searching for the ever elusive 9 sec. pass (bone stock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
FYI: Many tracks won't say a word if you run 9's with no cage. You act like this magical track police officer will come and run you off everywhere in the world which is far from the truth. When the cage rule was 11's I would violate it every week and tracks all over the east and only once I was told at a NHRA event that if I won I'd be DQ'ed.
Different tracks are run by different folks that can choose to be more or less stringent with NHRA's rules if they so choose. That is their business.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #19
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
Looks like all that is needed to hit 10.0 with the demon is MT Street tires and some seat time with the car, and soon the 2020 will be close to a second faster than that if current rumors are to be believed.
Right....and this is the case with any car. Just because something is capable doesn't mean it always will.

Quote:
No man, there isn't any hate. I haven't delved into the Demon's 1/4 mile times too deeply (as in, avidly searching on forums). I'm simply speaking from the dozens of YouTube videos that I have seen. Every video I have seen, has the owner in the low 10's and searching for the ever elusive 9 sec. pass (bone stock).
Don't get me wrong...like stated above it isn't "that easy". But there are quite a few "stock" Demon's in the 9's. Would probably be more if a lot weren't just permanently sitting in the garage.

And Dodge smurfed up advertising it was a 9.65 car and I think they learned from that when they released the times for the Redeye. They should have underpromised and overdelivered vs the other way around.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #20
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Don't get me wrong...like stated above it isn't "that easy". But there are quite a few "stock" Demon's in the 9's. Would probably be more if a lot weren't just permanently sitting in the garage.

And Dodge smurfed up advertising it was a 9.65 car and I think they learned from that when they released the times for the Redeye. They should have underpromised and overdelivered vs the other way around.
Agreed. I have since went onto Hellcat.org and looked through some threads. I see that some guys have dipped into the 9's, but it took lots of practice and persistence. The 9.65 that Dodge claimed at launch was a lot of fluff. Can it be done? With the right driver, conditions, track prep, etc., sure. Can anyone buy a HC, drive it straight to the track and come close to that? It's highly unlikely.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 01-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #21
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
This ^ Lot of tracks(Mostly IHRA) are pretty slack on the rules.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #22
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Agreed. I have since went onto Hellcat.org and looked through some threads. I see that some guys have dipped into the 9's, but it took lots of practice and persistence. The 9.65 that Dodge claimed at launch was a lot of fluff. Can it be done? With the right driver, conditions, track prep, etc., sure. Can anyone buy a HC, drive it straight to the track and come close to that? It's highly unlikely.
That is no different than the published road course lap times people get so excited about because it proves their car is better than Brand X. Could the average Joe come close to that lap time? Not a chance.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:04 AM   #23
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
That is no different than the published road course lap times people get so excited about because it proves their car is better than Brand X. Could the average Joe come close to that lap time? Not a chance.
That is true; however, Dodge had the 9.65 sec. 1/4 mile time emblazoned in nearly every Demon ad.

"Highest horsepower production car, Fastest 0-60 production car (2.3 sec.), First ever wheel lift on a production car, World's fastest production car 1/4 mile (9.65 sec.), etc., etc., etc..".

I don't recall seeing another manufacturer posting Nurburgring times, VIR times, Laguna Seca times, etc., throughout ~90% of their halo car's ads. Dodge made it sound like anybody with a pulse can buy a Demon and consistently run 9.65's. That was the "buzz" when it was unveiled...840hp and 9 second passes.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #24
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
True.

Quote:
That is true; however, Dodge had the 9.65 sec. 1/4 mile time emblazoned in nearly every Demon ad.

"Highest horsepower production car, Fastest 0-60 production car (2.3 sec.), First ever wheel lift on a production car, World's fastest production car 1/4 mile (9.65 sec.), etc., etc., etc..".

I don't recall seeing another manufacturer posting Nurburgring times, VIR times, Laguna Seca times, etc., throughout ~90% of their halo car's ads. Dodge made it sound like anybody with a pulse can buy a Demon and consistently run 9.65's. That was the "buzz" when it was unveiled...840hp and 9 second passes.

That's true too. Then again we shouldn't necessarily kick FCA in the nuts for how they have marketed their automobiles. IMHO their marketing is light years, and better, than any other car manufacturer.

IMHO the Demon should have been marketed as a 9.95 car. The hype would have been the same and that's much closer to what the "average joe" could run with tires, the race pcm, and decent conditions and track prep.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #25
DRKS1D3

Quote:
That's true too. Then again we shouldn't necessarily kick FCA in the nuts for how they have marketed their automobiles. IMHO their marketing is light years, and better, than any other car manufacturer.

IMHO the Demon should have been marketed as a 9.95 car. The hype would have been the same and that's much closer to what the "average joe" could run with tires, the race pcm, and decent conditions and track prep.
Agreed.

I'm not kicking them in the nuts. I just think they went too far with the ad campaign. I understand you want to create a buzz, but making it seem like any goofball can get behind the wheel of a Demon and crack off a 9.65 (or a 9.99 for that matter) is just going overboard. Heck, even the guys that have a lot of track time (in other cars) on Hellcat.org had to get weeks of practice to dip into the 9's.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #26
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
This is a real question because I actually don't know - Are any Demon owners complaining because they can't run 9's?
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #27
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Modded Demon Runs 9.41 E85 tune and Whipple Supercharger

rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #28
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
This is a real question because I actually don't know - Are any Demon owners complaining because they can't run 9's?
No, because anyone with the smallest amount of common sense knows the times were done using the trans brake, in -1600 da, in damn near perfect conditions. It will be hard, but not impossible to recreate those times. If you ran at MIR on a cold fall day with great prep and plenty of time to stage and activate the trans brake, and the nittos hook, it can happen.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote