The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #155
Jeff9962

Drives: 2014 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Dan's Brake Testing was a Joke! Let's go 100 mph down a city street and see if I can push my foot through the floorboard!
The single most annoying thing about watching that show was his brake test. Let me go flat spot a set of tires to see if the brakes work, brilliant! I'm old enough that I've owned 4 wheel drum brake cars so I understand the concept of actually having to adjust brakes and that's not how you check them.
Jeff9962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #156
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff9962 View Post
The single most annoying thing about watching that show was his brake test. Let me go flat spot a set of tires to see if the brakes work, brilliant! I'm old enough that I've owned 4 wheel drum brake cars so I understand the concept of actually having to adjust brakes and that's not how you check them.

When dealing with old cars your also dealing with rusty brake lines, old seals and rubber. It is better to blow out on a test with no cars around. When I was restoring a Firebird I did hard stop, blew a rusty line out. Replaced all the lines with stainless. Its more imperative to ensure old brakes work, then when the cars were newer.
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:24 PM   #157
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff9962 View Post
Although you can adjust the brakes by checking for the proper rotation drag on each wheel, doing a 'brake check' as Dan does also checks the proportioning valve operation if the car has one.

Plus, the 'brake checks' I've see Dan due are NOT from 100mph, but from a 30-40mph speed.

What DOES concern me though is when they show Dan doing his brake or acceleration tests on what appears to be a public road even though the road appears to be a side road in an 'industrial' area and not one in a residential area.

It'd be nice if he can find an abandoned or deserted road for his tests especially if/when something goes wrong.

There have been a few times when the brakes have not performed correctly and they have almost slid past a stop sign into traffic. Ooops.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #158
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

There have been a few times when the brakes have not performed correctly and they have almost slid past a stop sign into traffic. Ooops.
That was probably by design for the Drama
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #159
HDRDTD

Quote:
That was probably by design for the Drama
Drama ? on TV ?? Say it isn't so.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #160
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
FantomWorks was my favorite show and I’m going to miss it. Garage Squad was probably second. The other shows I like are Chasing Cars and Bitchin. Iron Resurrection and Metal are hit and miss. Same for Unique and WCC. Roadkill is ok most of the time but can sometimes get a bit stupid. I hate to say I can’t get into WD because of Ant’s wife. The guy on Restoration Garage is kind of weird and it makes the show hard to watch. Similarly the guy on Graveyard makes the show unwatchable despite having interesting cars.

Least favorite show? Overhaulin’. To me it’s the opposite of FantomWorks. FW is no nonsense car work and restoration and the guys in the shop seem like real people. I like how he tried to give the customer what they want and keeps the basic character of the cars. I hate that Overhaul takes a car and it’s unrecognizable after they finish. I’d be pissed if they took a car that has sentimental value and the turned it into a Foosemobile. Add in the tired ruse thing and obnoxious car bunnies and it’s unwatchable TV for me.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #161
BMR Sales

I was watching FantomWorks last night and he said that he does Not install aftermarket A/C systems - What? He installs aftermarket Engines, Transmissions, Rearends, Interiors, Suspension, Wheels, Tires, Body Panels, Paint, but not A/C? Anybody else think that's a little weird?
Old 02-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #162
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
Thumbs up

Quote:
I was watching FantomWorks last night and he said that he does Not install aftermarket A/C systems - What? He installs aftermarket Engines, Transmissions, Rearends, Interiors, Suspension, Wheels, Tires, Body Panels, Paint, but not A/C? Anybody else think that's a little weird?
+1

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #163
km9v

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
I still don't understand how the show put him in $1M in debt.
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #164
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by km9v View Post
I still don't understand how the show put him in $1M in debt.
I would guess that at least in part, having the camera crew there all the time slowed down the progress on the cars and probably also limited just how many cars they could do at one time, all having a negative impact on their productivity to the point they just couldn't quite make as much money as they would have normally made.
Keep in mind this all over the course of what, 6 years??
Old 02-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #165
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
Quote:
I would guess that at least in part, having the camera crew there all the time slowed down the progress on the cars and probably also limited just how many cars they could do at one time, all having a negative impact on their productivity to the point they just couldn't quite make as much money as they would have normally made.
I stated it before so I'll say it again. He didn't do the show for free. He was paid some amount per episode. A low number would be $30K per episode and some "reality" stars get in excess of $1M per episode.

I did a internet search and found this;

"Typically, a reality show like FantomWorks earns its cast members anywhere between $10,000 and $50,000 per episode, depending upon the popularity of the show.
Which means through the eight seasons on Velocity, Dan Short could have probably earned a cool $2.0 million."

So I don't understand the debt either.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #166
BMR Sales

Quote:
that would be $1Million he didn't take in then, but that has nothing to do with being Debt!

Last edited by BMR Sales; 02-20-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #167
HDRDTD

Quote:
that would be $1Million he didn't in then, but that has nothing to do with being Debt!
If the cost of running the business exceeds the income revenue......
Old 02-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #168
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
If the cost of running the business exceeds the income revenue......
True. But I have had conversation with people that think like this "....I made 5 million in 2016, and in 2017 I only made 3 million, I'm like 2 million in the hole at the moment. It cost me $500k to keep the doors open and payroll, so it was an off year". Gotcha chief, I'm feeling for your loss.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote