The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #85
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Ughh...

So completely unnecessary. Sad - then again after such a terrible experience with the Terrain we purchased in 2012, plus my work Traverse, I won't ever own another transverse engine mounted GM anything.
What issues did your Terrain have? I can guess all the problems the Traverse has though.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #86
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
and a Silverado / Sierra is $70K, it's all ridiculous.
you can get a similar equipped to the blazer RS 6.2L LTZ Silverado for $49k
msrp
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #87
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
What issues did your Terrain have? I can guess all the problems the Traverse has though.
Fuel sensor issues, hood latch sensor issues - all of these preventing factory command start from working (the reason we moved from a BMW to the Terrain was this - and living in Northern Alberta, Canada - it's essential for vehicles parked outside).

The center stack would go blank while travelling down the road - including all HVAC controls. Sometimes it would come back on, sometimes not. Dealership wouldn't even look into under warranty, even though it was an obvious ground or connection issue.

It was a lemon from day one, but almost useless in the winter - I asked my dealer to take it back and we would buy a brand new Yukon or Tahoe. They refused. Drove to MB the next weekend and bought a certified used ML350 Bluetec. Never looked back (on our second ML now).
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #88
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I think the reality that too many people are ignorant to is that we live in a global economy, in so far as companies that originated and have large presences here, sell and manufacture abroad. The world isn't black and white in this regard, it's several shades of grey and a balance must be maintained, but it's not as simple as "all cars are produced in (insert country here)" or even "all cars bought in the US must be produced in the US". It simply doesn't work like that. If we limit our businesses ability to compete abroad, we only hurt ourselves and limit our ability to compete with the rest of the world. We will never be a "manufacturing power" like back in the 1940s, we originate technology, develop new processes, find new markets, etc. It's very naive to think you can pound out the same widget for 30 years, someone will always come along that figures out how to do it faster, cheaper, easier, more efficiently, expanding into different markets, and so on. The only way to stay on top is to constantly change. In that respect, our power isn't in manufacturing production lines, it's in developing new stuff.
It's also worth mentioning that the only reason we became the manufacturing powerhouse we were was because we literally destroyed the capacity of our competitors during WWII.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #89
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
It’s my opinion America is with us in this fight to build here what we sell here,” Dittes wrote in part. The letter was addressed to Local Union Presidents, Shop Chairpersons, Vice Presidents, Financial Secretaries and Recording Secretaries.

This is why unions are failing, too fat. Break all unions and move employees to merit based employment.
Yes, the adversary of auto workers isn't GM or Mexico, it's their union. As long as they persist in supporting it, they'll continue screwing themselves.

America's Auto Workers Deserve Better Than the UAW

Old 01-28-2019, 03:06 PM   #90
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Fuel sensor issues, hood latch sensor issues - all of these preventing factory command start from working (the reason we moved from a BMW to the Terrain was this - and living in Northern Alberta, Canada - it's essential for vehicles parked outside).

The center stack would go blank while travelling down the road - including all HVAC controls. Sometimes it would come back on, sometimes not. Dealership wouldn't even look into under warranty, even though it was an obvious ground or connection issue.

It was a lemon from day one, but almost useless in the winter - I asked my dealer to take it back and we would buy a brand new Yukon or Tahoe. They refused. Drove to MB the next weekend and bought a certified used ML350 Bluetec. Never looked back (on our second ML now).
I haven't seen any issues with the hood latch before. I have reset quite a few alcohol content sensors, only replaced one. As far as the radio, yeah that's a common thing. Whomever is doing the software for their radios is doing a terrible job. Basically count on any GM car with a large screen having the radio go blank or various things not work from time to time. They keep updating the software, but it doesn't do much to fix whatever is going on.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #91
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
I haven't seen any issues with the hood latch before. I have reset quite a few alcohol content sensors, only replaced one. As far as the radio, yeah that's a common thing. Whomever is doing the software for their radios is doing a terrible job. Basically count on any GM car with a large screen having the radio go blank or various things not work from time to time. They keep updating the software, but it doesn't do much to fix whatever is going on.
The software shuts down the entire center stack and HVAC? WTF?

Either way, it was a lemon, my wife rejoiced the day she traded it for her first ML - I will never convince her to get another GM SUV except a Tahoe or Yukon.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #92
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Traverse has been that problematic? We have been looking at it vs Pilot & Highlander because of how much more room it has
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:53 AM   #93
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
Traverse has been that problematic? We have been looking at it vs Pilot & Highlander because of how much more room it has
Haven't heard of any big issues with the current new gen Traverse, but the last gen Traverse had some issues with the older 3.6. Late model ones should be good to go.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #94
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
couple of thoughts:

1. I get it that we (I include myself) don't like the fact that it is made in Mexico. However, at the end of the day GM is more profitable and sustainable long term, doesn't that help keep them in business and able to employ Americans? And if the choice is be less profitable to meet the principle of "build it here", and possibly go out of business due to bad decision making, like being too principled vs. too profitable, or build some cars here, some cars "there" and they stay sustainable into the future then...???
GM adding 1000 assembly line staff to Flint plant

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ers/ar-BBTcfnG
Old 02-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #95
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
I can't speak for the current gen as I haven't repaired any yet, but the first gen was absolute trash. Engine, trans, steering, suspension, but hey they look nice. On a side note, GM has paid me a lot of money to fix their rushed engineering. Time will tell if the newest gen is any good.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:31 PM   #96
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Haven't heard of any big issues with the current new gen Traverse, but the last gen Traverse had some issues with the older 3.6. Late model ones should be good to go.
They have the same junk trans clear through the entire run of the first gen. 3-5-R waveplate snaps and just trashes the internals.