Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #351
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
Once GM decided to do a proper Z/28 and put the premium LS7 between the fenders the sticker price automatically went over the ZL1 price point.
LS7 has always been an expensive hand built engine made to be in more expensive Corvette's and to adapt it to a low volume Camaro the price was going to high. GM has never hide that info.

With the added development the Z/28 received the price seems about right.

Those that thought it would be priced between 1LE and ZL1 either don't understand modern vehicle development and pricing or didn't grasp the direction this Z/28 was going or just flat out wishful thinking.
On behalf of Gen-5 enthusiasts the world over, thanks KarFan. "Think 'COPO for the street/track'..." and it was thus...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #352

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Throwing a grenade into a crowd of civilians. Classy.

It's not a race car, it's a track car. Do you not understand that and are parroting the original troll who tried to go in this direction?

So, what "sanctioned event", exactly, are you referring to? The Z/28 will certainly "qualify" for any Track-day/HPDE event in the US, bar none. It'll also run in just about any time-trials event (SCCA TT wants a cage now, CT does not). "Race" events, car-to-car on track, require cages. Caged race cars aren't street legal.

I am so tired of this pathetic made-up BS. WTF is a "known sanctioned event"? Where do you people come up with this generic crap?
Hey thanks! Those comparing it to the Mustang 302S referred to the sanctioned events... please see thread comments they wrote --- those are the events they mentioned! RE READ the THREAD!!! Z what I mean? Track car? Street Car? But not a race car? OK.....
Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #353
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Throwing a grenade into a crowd of civilians. Classy.

It's not a race car, it's a track car. Do you not understand that and are parroting the original troll who tried to go in this direction?

So, what "sanctioned event", exactly, are you referring to? The Z/28 will certainly "qualify" for any Track-day/HPDE event in the US, bar none. It'll also run in just about any time-trials event (SCCA TT wants a cage now, CT does not). "Race" events, car-to-car on track, require cages. Caged race cars aren't street legal.

I am so tired of this pathetic made-up BS. WTF is a "known sanctioned event"? Where do you people come up with this generic crap?
I'm with ya on "these" post.

I guess they've never heard of changes in the rules or the cars for racing inclusion. The Viper is a recent example. If someone wants to race a car they modify to fit within the rules. No big deal.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #354
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlighteningYou View Post
Bit of a difference here.. The 302-S is a classed race car ready for a number of SCCA and NASA race classes. It's not a street legal vehicle at all, it's actually a race car. What classes are the street legal Z/28's spec'd to compete in again?
Is the Z/28 equipped with these items?
AIM data acquisition system with GPS
Recaro HANS Pro Racer seat
Fire system with 2 nozzles
Quick release racing steering wheel
Window net
AMB Transponder
Safety system triangle nets
6 point racing harness
Master cut off switch
Time to take THIS argument over to your buddy's thread at mustang6g or whatever cave it is he dwells in.

Point is, for a LOT le$$ money, you get a warrantee and a fully usable streetable car that guarantees a perma-grin at the nearest, or any, HPDE.

To say a 302-S, as-delivered and untouched, is capable of winning ANYTHING at a National level in any of the Classes it qualifies for is sooo far beyond believeable that it fully exposes Dearborn droppings immersed in your tighty-whities.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #355
Hennesseyrgv
CAMARO5LINE FOUNDER

Drives: Hennessey HPE650
So which is more expensive. The COPO Camaro or Z28. Whats the price on a COPO
Old 01-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #356
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I NEVER want to all be able to afford the same thing.

That is all.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #357
EnlighteningYou

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
Time to take THIS argument over to your buddy's thread at mustang6g or whatever cave it is he dwells in.

Point is, for a LOT le$$ money, you get a warrantee and a fully usable streetable car that guarantees a perma-grin at the nearest, or any, HPDE.

To say a 302-S, as-delivered and untouched, is capable of winning ANYTHING at a National level in any of the Classes it qualifies for is sooo far beyond believeable that it fully exposes Dearborn droppings immersed in your tighty-whities.
Wow... high blood pressure man? lol I'm sorry but who is "my buddy" kind of lost me there.
EnlighteningYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #358
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennesseyrgv View Post
So which is more expensive. The COPO Camaro or Z28. Whats the price on a COPO
The COPO is more expensive at (I believe) somewhere around $89k to start, but the COPO has no VIN and CANNOT be licensed for the street like the new Z/28 can.

Thus, the new Z/28 is the most expensive Camaro that can be licensed for the street.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #359
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Why?
Content.

It's a Camaro. It is priced out of the budget of most of the people who helped bring the Camaro back to life by purchasing them.

Most importantly, because they could offer it for much less.
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #360
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Alanis Morissette wrote him a song. He's a "jagged lil" something-or-other.

BP's fine. Thanks for asking.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #361
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I think you will see more Ferraris on the road than Z/28s. It will be a rare sight indeed, on public roads anyway.
I guess it depends where you live. I have never seen a Ferrari on the road. I already know two people that are going to buy a Z/28 if GM let's them. They got money , but they're not Rick Hendrick, an actor, a performance shop or a ball player so they may have the same problem I had getting a ZL1 even though they have the coin to do so.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #362
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
Content.

It's a Camaro. It is priced out of the budget of most of the people who helped bring the Camaro back to life by purchasing them.

I highly doubt they could offer it for much less. Too low of volume. This Z/28 was not created for the "typical" Camaro guy for anything more than aspiration. With this Z/28 GM is showing its capabilities to compete with the elite and beat them. It's also going to be a marketing gem. I truly appreciate what they've done. If I was a kid this would be like getting a bucket of maraschino cherries on my kiddie sized sunday. I could buy one, however I won't as it ended up not being the Camaro for me. At this point I'm still considering a 1LE with Z/28 bits or a Z51.

Thanks GM for having the b**** to do it, you've raised the bar and our expectations for the future of auto engineering and design.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #363
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
Content.

That, and development costs to finalize/certify/validate. Which are significant.

Lowdown, a few pages back, wrote a piece about the original ZL1 Camaros and how prices compare. Funny thing about it is, almost NO ONE knew what the "ZL1" name meant or referred to, when it was reused and announced in Chicago in '11. And furthermore, ZL1s sold in miniscule numbers in '69 because of price, which was mandated by GM to fully cover ALL costs.

Just like the Gen-5 Z/28.

NOT as-equipped and FULLY recover the costs associated with its content and development, spread over a limited time span and therefore a limited number of vehicles.

An important point, mentioned several times, that seems to be sailing over many heads, here.

This car is NOT a "loss leader", nor does it need to be.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #364
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I'm with ya on "these" post.
Seriously, it's like a zombies in a movie? The wacky hordes just keep coming and coming...haha! It's nuts! I'm convinced some of them have to be guerrilla marketing plants on the payroll of other manufacturers? A smattering of the "I'm entitled!" crowd, along with a heaping helping of just plain vanilla trolls from the Mustang and ZL1 communities? It's really nutty to me, I've never seen these kind of behaviors on several other car forums I lurk on.

Must be a lot of people feeling threatened. I don't want to consider the alternative (morons) because then I'd be convinced all is totally lost for our once-great republic.

Sigh...

"Known Sanctioned Events" - I'm still trying to come to grips with that one...

Known by who?
Sanctioned by who?
Events hosted where and by who?
Those three words strung together allow for only about a billion possible meanings.

Ok *007 now I'm just tasering you for sport :-)

Now that I have this all off my chest, I 'll leave you all be for a day or two lol!

PS- I love that yellow 'Vette in your avatar!

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote